Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2023, 06:01 PM   #9621
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder what the flames would have done this TDL if Huberdeau was still a FA? Think of the haul the Flames could have received if they traded him.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:08 PM   #9622
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
although that was the year later (doesn't discredit he was a useful acquisition)

Brian MacLellan was the key 89 deadline acquistion (to the chagrin of Perry Berezan)

with honourable mention to the 04 guys Sutter picked up (he basically had to as that team was pretty thin) the best deadline/pre deadline work still has to go to Fletcher in 86 I'd think nabbing Mullen in Feb and Tonelli in March
Yeah Nilsson, Simon, Niemo all important guys in that run.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 07:02 PM   #9623
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fivenagame View Post
I wonder what the flames would have done this TDL if Huberdeau was still a FA? Think of the haul the Flames could have received if they traded him.
Wouldn’t it be a pretty modest haul? Would not have been any better than Horvat who is having a far better season. Also would the Flames ever trade a pending top 6 forward if they were still in the mix?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 08:42 PM   #9624
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Wouldn’t it be a pretty modest haul? Would not have been any better than Horvat who is having a far better season. Also would the Flames ever trade a pending top 6 forward if they were still in the mix?
You're probably right. Though Horvat doesn't have the scoring history that Huberdeau has.
Old 02-06-2023, 09:58 PM   #9625
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to Seravalli, Barbashev has been told he will not be re-signed and the Blues are trying to trade him. Strickland denies this information. So, whomever you want to believe I guess.

https://nhltradetalk.com/barbashev-t...-to-trade-him/
Old 02-06-2023, 10:57 PM   #9626
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can definitely see Flames acquiring Luke Schenn
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 11:25 PM   #9627
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did anyone know that Luke Schenn has 18 points in 50 games? Pretty darn good production for a player like him. Pro rated to 82 games, that's pretty much 30 points!
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 06:32 AM   #9628
loob job
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know for a fact there was a little trade talked about that got nixed at the last minute with the Rangers. Blais for Rooney. Not sure why we wouldn't do that deal to get rid of Rooney, I know Blais is a FA end of year but he's useable.
loob job is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loob job For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 06:36 AM   #9629
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Did anyone know that Luke Schenn has 18 points in 50 games? Pretty darn good production for a player like him. Pro rated to 82 games, that's pretty much 30 points!
If you are bringing in Schenn for his points, you’re doing it wrong
Old 02-07-2023, 06:36 AM   #9630
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a hot take overreaction to last nights game but I wonder if the Flames couldn’t come together on a blockbuster deal and get do overs on the bad contracts they signed last summer?

To Van: Huberdeau+Lucic+Kylington+2nd
To CGY: Miller+Boeser+Schenn+NYI 1st

The cap works for this year and next year is $13M for the Canucks and $13.85 for the Flames. Both teams back out on the huge deals they signed and likely regret. The Canucks bank on Huberdeau bouncing back to his old self and being the right setup guy for Pettersson. The Flames hope that Miller’s competitiveness and style of play suit Sutter’s system more. With Miller and Lucic both making $5.25 perhaps both teams eat half of the contracts (not Millers new deal just the last of this years deal) and the Canucks can move out Lucic by eating 50% again so he is only a $1.3M player (not sure a player can be retained 3x). Flames hope Boeser bounces back. Canucks get Kylington for next year and beyond, the Flames get Schenn for right now. The picks maybe don’t need to be there but I feel like the Canucks get more value so that is why I added the swap.

Just a hot take from last night but Huberdeau is not fitting here and I am not a fan of his at all since the season started.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 06:39 AM   #9631
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
This is a hot take overreaction to last nights game but I wonder if the Flames couldn’t come together on a blockbuster deal and get do overs on the bad contracts they signed last summer?

To Van: Huberdeau+Lucic+Kylington+2nd
To CGY: Miller+Boeser+Schenn+NYI 1st

The cap works for this year and next year is $13M for the Canucks and $13.85 for the Flames. Both teams back out on the huge deals they signed and likely regret. The Canucks bank on Huberdeau bouncing back to his old self and being the right setup guy for Pettersson. The Flames hope that Miller’s competitiveness and style of play suit Sutter’s system more. With Miller and Lucic both making $5.25 perhaps both teams eat half of the contracts (not Millers new deal just the last of this years deal) and the Canucks can move out Lucic by eating 50% again so he is only a $1.3M player (not sure a player can be retained 3x). Flames hope Boeser bounces back. Canucks get Kylington for next year and beyond, the Flames get Schenn for right now. The picks maybe don’t need to be there but I feel like the Canucks get more value so that is why I added the swap.

Just a hot take from last night but Huberdeau is not fitting here and I am not a fan of his at all since the season started.
Miller better than huberdeau
Boeser better than lucic
Schenn better than kylington
Calgary gets better pick
Yup that seems like a realistic trade
Old 02-07-2023, 07:05 AM   #9632
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Boeser better than lucic
Calgary gets better pick
Schenn is better than Kylington? One is a young top 4 Dman who plays todays style and the other is an older player having a good year.

Miller is better than Huberdeau this year but over their careers it is not really close. Miller also has a terrible locker room reputation. People can see Huberdeau isn’t made for Sutter hockey but he averaged 99pts per 82 games in the 4 years before this season.

Boeser is better than Lucic but overpaid. Lucic is an expiring contract. I also thought about Garland swapped in instead of Boeser and we hear he is a buyout candidate.

Maybe the picks was being too greedy but I like the upside for this deal for Van more than I do for Calgary
Old 02-07-2023, 07:42 AM   #9633
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

At the end of the day I really can’t see the Flames doing much at the trade deadline. They have too much cap committed next year already and going forward.

Treliving gambled and went big for the next few years. So far it looks like he lost, but who knows? Maybe the team comes together better next year (especially once Sutter is no longer able to roll Lucic in the top 6).

Like it or not though, the Flames core is what it is. There are too many bad contracts on the books to make any meaningful moves. The Flames are going to have to get better at drafting and developing because it’s about the only way they’re going to be able to add to their existing core in the near future.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 07:51 AM   #9634
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Woke up this morning and there was only 31 games left in Milan Lucic’s contract.

That’ll do, World. That’ll do.

My hopes for the trade deadline pretty much end with “I hope we find a way to trade Lucic”.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 07:51 AM   #9635
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Boeser better than lucic
Calgary gets better pick
This has to be one of the most bogus hot takes I've read in a while.

JT "0 effort" Miller who gave up on his team is NOT better than Huberdeau outside of this year. A year where its very evident that Sutter's style of play has hurt what makes Huberdeau good.

Lets not forget that Johnny, Lindholm and Tkachuk all played poorly under Sutter when he first came on board.

Schenn not even close to Kylington across the board, outside of the fact he's active in the NHL right now. I have a bad feeling Kylington isn't coming back soon at all so its a pointless take.

Boeser is obviously better than Lucic so you win that one.

I wouldn't do this trade as the Flames personally, its far to early to give up on Huberdeau, I think we need to build around him and put him in a position to succeed, a guy of his caliber doesn't forget how to play hockey over 1 summer... somethings just not right.

Flames should NOT be buyers, unless they win the next 5-6 games and even then I would add some younger guys with term like Duclair or Domi etc.

Otherwise they should likely be sellers and hope to re-tool through the draft.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:17 AM   #9636
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Wanting to trade for Miller is dumb enough given how much his teammates seem to hate him (Neal 2.0), but then saying he’s better than Huberdeau? They have the same amount of points since December 1, in Huberdeau’s worst offensive season since… ever? And Huberdeau actually backchecks instead of cheating on the puck to get that total.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 08:23 AM   #9637
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope we sell and reload for the next phase of the flames, but can't see us doing it at all. Shame, because this year would be great to get another 1st.
This group of players is going to win anything even if they make the playoffs. I am not convinced they will.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:14 AM   #9638
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
This has to be one of the most bogus hot takes I've read in a while.

JT "0 effort" Miller who gave up on his team is NOT better than Huberdeau outside of this year. A year where its very evident that Sutter's style of play has hurt what makes Huberdeau good.

Lets not forget that Johnny, Lindholm and Tkachuk all played poorly under Sutter when he first came on board.

Schenn not even close to Kylington across the board, outside of the fact he's active in the NHL right now. I have a bad feeling Kylington isn't coming back soon at all so its a pointless take.

Boeser is obviously better than Lucic so you win that one.

I wouldn't do this trade as the Flames personally, its far to early to give up on Huberdeau, I think we need to build around him and put him in a position to succeed, a guy of his caliber doesn't forget how to play hockey over 1 summer... somethings just not right.

Flames should NOT be buyers, unless they win the next 5-6 games and even then I would add some younger guys with term like Duclair or Domi etc.

Otherwise they should likely be sellers and hope to re-tool through the draft.
If Miller were on the Flames we'd be praising his desire to win, yeah his back checking sucks but he's still a point a game guy for 8M, Canucks are going to take Huberdeau back on a crippling contract hoping he regains scoring touch? Based on that logic Boeser is going to cost even more because he scored 23 in 56 two years ago.

Schenn is better because Schenn is a playing and a known commodity, Kylington is better if he plays but as you said above, who knows when he is coming back. Canucks will want a pick for Schenn not an unknown, possibly wasted asset.

I do agree the Flames shouldn't be buyers other than maybe Schenn or another depth D man for the playoffs as you can almost guarantee we lose at least one D man to injury in the playoffs.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:16 AM   #9639
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Only thing I worry about with Schenn is his contract, it is so low it makes him viable for any team to pick up.. which also makes his price higher.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:21 AM   #9640
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Wanting to trade for Miller is dumb enough given how much his teammates seem to hate him (Neal 2.0), but then saying he’s better than Huberdeau? They have the same amount of points since December 1, in Huberdeau’s worst offensive season since… ever? And Huberdeau actually backchecks instead of cheating on the puck to get that total.
If you are the GM of an NHL team are you going anywhere near a 30 year old making 10.5M a year for the next 8 years who is having a career bad year? That's how you lose your job as a GM, Patrick Kane is 34, with same points as Huberdeau, think Kane is getting 10.5 for the next 4 years this summer based on what he used to do?