Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #9581
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless the trade is for a significant non-rental, I don't see the Flames parting with any current roster players outside of Czarnik, Prout, Frolik or Mangiapane. I would say Stone or Smith, but realistically, they have no asset value. Neal's contract makes him pretty much untradable, but I don't think Treliving would give up on him yet anyway (nor would I until we see him in the playoffs).

The way I see it, our rental trade bait is:

* Our 2019 and 2020 1st rounders and all other picks.
* Frolik
* Mangiapane, Dube, and other prospects not named Kylington and Valimaki (who I consider NHL players at this point). But the 2 mentioned are likely key ones that have the most value.

For significant non-rentals, I could see Kylington and Jankowski being dangled.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:10 PM   #9582
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I don't think this team gets better by trading Matthew Tkachuk. He provides a unique skillset
If anything, we should go after Brady Tkachuk.

But he is untouchable as well.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:14 PM   #9583
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
If anything, we should go after Brady Tkachuk.

But he is untouchable as well.
Why we should go after Mark Stone as well though is that he should be an untouchable, but is becoming available (by the sounds of it).

For an extended Mark Stone...oh, I'd try and sell Ottawa hard on a picks heavy deal:

To OTT: Frolik, 2019 1st round pick, 2020 1st round pick, 2020 2nd round pick (or pull the 2nd and put Dube in it's place if Ottawa so desired)

To CGY: Stone

I'd do this fully knowing that we'd be going to the draft this summer to recoup a 1st and a 2nd by trading TJ Brodie.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Stone
Bennett - Jankowski - Neal

Yeah, I believe that forward depth could win a Stanley Cup.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:15 PM   #9584
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I don't think this team gets better by trading Matthew Tkachuk. He provides a unique skillset
I don't either but I am not paying Tkachuk 8-9M a season coming off an entry level. Just not happening. He's not that kind of player.

Obviously, his value is sky high, if it comes to it and those are his demands I think you move him.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #9585
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
I’d do New Eras trade for sure. Stone is better than Tkachuk now and likely will still be at least as good in 3 years. If you get another asset on top (or two like his) than yeah I’d do it.
Stone is debatably better than Tkachuk and it is highly doubtful he will be better for the next 3 years.

We trade a 21 year old with team control for multiple UFA’s.

Shocking that a poster who posts a lot about squandering picks is willing to move our best player 21 or younger by several miles for older players.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 03:19 PM   #9586
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Why we should go after Mark Stone as well though is that he should be an untouchable, but is becoming available (by the sounds of it).

For an extended Mark Stone...oh, I'd try and sell Ottawa hard on a picks heavy deal:

To OTT: Frolik, 2019 1st round pick, 2020 1st round pick, 2020 2nd round pick (or pull the 2nd and put Dube in it's place if Ottawa so desired)

I'd do this fully knowing that we'd be going to the draft this summer to recoup a 1st and a 2nd by trading TJ Brodie.

If a Stone to CGY trade goes down, this is how I see it happening too.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:20 PM   #9587
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk adds a unique element, but on a per player vs player argument, it's hard to argue Stone isn't better than Tkachuk in my opinion. Forget contract, RFA, etc. just pure on-ice contribution today.

Multiple point-per-game seasons now, a career 305 points in 362 games (70 point pace pro-rated). And he does that while being one of, if not the, best defensive wingers in the game. Nothing against Tkachuk, but Stone's a hell of a player.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #9588
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagoof View Post
I don't either but I am not paying Tkachuk 8-9M a season coming off an entry level. Just not happening. He's not that kind of player.

Obviously, his value is sky high, if it comes to it and those are his demands I think you move him.
I suppose that is one way to go. I would much prefer to wait it out and see what number the Flames eventually get Tkachuk down to. 2019 has so far shown that he is not yet a NHL superstar, so it seems reasonable to expect that he will not get superstar money on a team he ranks fifth in scoring. Since the beginning of the New Year he has 6G 11Pts in 15 games. Tkachuk has scored at the same rate as Michael Backlund, and less than TJ Brodie.

I don't think he is getting $8 m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 02-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #9589
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Tkachuk adds a unique element, but on a per player vs player argument, it's hard to argue Stone isn't better than Tkachuk in my opinion. Forget contract, RFA, etc. just pure on-ice contribution today.

Multiple point-per-game seasons now, a career 305 points in 362 games (70 point pace pro-rated). And he does that while being one of, if not the, best defensive wingers in the game. Nothing against Tkachuk, but Stone's a hell of a player.
70pt pace but has never scored that much in a season. Injury prone player that is 6 years older and will likely cost more on a long term deal than Tkachuk will on his big extension.

Grass is not always greener. Tkachuk is a stud, future captain and elite player. We don’t trade him the talk that the Sens could build a package around an older pending ufa is lunacy.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:24 PM   #9590
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't trade him for Stone, obviously, I was just speaking to your comment that Stone was debatable better.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #9591
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I suppose that is one way to go. I would much prefer to wait it out and see what number the Flames eventually get Tkachuk down to. 2019 has so far shown that he is not yet a NHL superstar, so it seems reasonable to expect that he will not get superstar money on a team he ranks fifth in scoring. Since the beginning of the New Year he has 6G 11Pts in 15 games. Tkachuk has scored at the same rate as Michael Backlund, and less than TJ Brodie.

He is still over a ppg. He is on a cool streak but still is on pace for 85pts as a 20/21 year old. Better than Monahan, Gaudreau etc at the same age.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #9592
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Would you do the following, if both the UFAs agreed to terms that fit within the budget?

To Calgary: Stone, Dzingle, & Borowiecki

To Ottawa: Tkachuk
It’s actually a neat idea assuming extensions were sorted on the Ottawa players. However I wouldn’t do it this season, as that is a major gutting of team chemistry during their best season in 30 years. And it totally doesn’t make sense after the seasons over.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 03:32 PM   #9593
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

The Sens will look for more than that - that is essentially two late first round picks and a salary dump. I think that there are other teams who would offer up more than that for Stone, especially if he had an extended contract.

The Sens are in a position where they will want as many good young players as possible right now and if the Flames were to make a pitch at Stone I think that the package would likely include Bennett, Andersson and a first round pick.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #9594
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
The Sens will look for more than that - that is essentially two late first round picks and a salary dump. I think that there are other teams who would offer up more than that for Stone, especially if he had an extended contract.

The Sens are in a position where they will want as many good young players as possible right now and if the Flames were to make a pitch at Stone I think that the package would likely include Bennett, Andersson and a first round pick.
The Bennett, Andersson, 1st package has legs if Stone has 2 years left on his deal but he doesn’t. Since he doesn’t he will cost significantly less. Sign and trades do not happen at the deadline that result in a massive inflation of a players value. The best the Sens can hope for are some conditional picks that could be attached if Stone re-signs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 03:47 PM   #9595
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
The Bennett, Andersson, 1st package has legs if Stone has 2 years left on his deal but he doesn’t. Since he doesn’t he will cost significantly less. Sign and trades do not happen at the deadline that result in a massive inflation of a players value. The best the Sens can hope for are some conditional picks that could be attached if Stone re-signs.
Personally I think that there are enough teams who would be lining up to add a player of Stones caliber (a top 15 player in the league in my opinion) that it would drive up the price. A package with Bennett (a third line player with potential), Andersson (a good young defenseman) and a first (likely 25-31 overall) would be a package that would be competitive with other teams offers. I just can't recall the last time a player of Stone's caliber was available at the trade deadline.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:47 PM   #9596
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think you are right that they would likely get better offers. Very late 1st rounders are not terribly valuable. One way to maybe entice them would be to have conditions on the either of the 1st rounders where they could choose to defer one to 2021 or 2022 if the Flames place too high in the standings. It would give them a little more control and a safe bet that the Flames will finish lower in the standings in a couple of years.

But I have to disagree that Frolik is just a salary dump. He is a useful player that would free up a lot of cap space and give them flexibility for them to sign UFAs or acquire big name players. He would also likely get a lot more ice time and a bigger role in Ottawa, and his production would probably go up.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:55 PM   #9597
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Edmonton should be looking at Brodie really hard. They have 4-5 guys who'd be ideal partners for him.

I mean, just look at what being paired with Gio does for him, and then consider all those Giordanos Edmonton has. It would be the ideal fit.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:55 PM   #9598
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see Frolik as being a very valuable piece to a rebuilding club - he has a decent sized cap hit at $4.3MM/Year and has been a healthy scratch this year. That much alone makes me think that he isn't going to be an attractive piece to a team that is a few years away from winning.

Look at a player like Tatar, he was able to get a first round pick and at the time he had 28 points in 62 games as an offensive winger. The trade deadline makes teams who think that they have a chance at winning make bad long term trades.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:02 PM   #9599
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't see Frolik as being a very valuable piece to a rebuilding club - he has a decent sized cap hit at $4.3MM/Year and has been a healthy scratch this year. That much alone makes me think that he isn't going to be an attractive piece to a team that is a few years away from winning.

Look at a player like Tatar, he was able to get a first round pick and at the time he had 28 points in 62 games as an offensive winger. The trade deadline makes teams who think that they have a chance at winning make bad long term trades.
Even rebuilding teams need to reach the cap floor. Frolik was healthy scratched, but only because the Flames are a really deep team. That's what happens. A lot of good players get scratched occasionally.

Frolik isn't amazing and has cold streaks, but his work ethic and compete are never in question. Exactly what a young rebuilding team needs in a veteran. You can't go full Oiler and let a bunch of kids run the whole show.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:05 PM   #9600
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Since the beginning of the New Year he has 6G 11Pts in 15 games. Tkachuk has scored at the same rate as Michael Backlund, and less than TJ Brodie.

I don't know what he's getting, but I do know it won't be based on a (what you consider poor) 15 game stretch LOL, ignoring the rest of the year.

BTW, that poor stretch extrapolates to 33-27-60 over a full season. I wish all of our players slumped so badly.
Closed Thread