Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2022, 08:07 AM   #941
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1589961115752013824

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 08:17 AM   #942
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Business people who were losing $4mil a day.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1588671155766194176
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 08:21 AM   #943
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

It was run by business people trying to make money? This is hilarious. Twitter was under performing by all accounts, and even in a bull market where every other social media company was somehow doing better, Twitter was stagnant.

I have no idea what Musk thinks he is accomplishing or what the other 'smarter' people around him are thinking (funny how not a single post here references their tweets), but lets at least try to be realistic about the mess Twitter was previous to Musk getting involved. I mean their own ex head of security came out in August of this year and said the company was a mess internally when it comes to security.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 08:30 AM   #944
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
It was run by business people trying to make money? This is hilarious. Twitter was under performing by all accounts, and even in a bull market where every other social media company was somehow doing better, Twitter was stagnant.

I have no idea what Musk thinks he is accomplishing or what the other 'smarter' people around him are thinking (funny how not a single post here references their tweets), but lets at least try to be realistic about the mess Twitter was previous to Musk getting involved. I mean their own ex head of security came out in August of this year and said the company was a mess internally when it comes to security.
Obviously it was run by business people trying to make money. They might not have been overly successful at it, but they were trying to make money. If they weren't - they would have been pushed out by shareholders/board. They didn't have a Facebook like structure where Zuckerberg can do whatever he wants because he has all the voting power.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 08:39 AM   #945
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

No, Twitter was run by leftists activists with the purpose of altruism. Or restricting free speech. Or something.

Obviously!
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 08:42 AM   #946
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
So what are people looking into as alternatives to twitter? I signed up for counter.social and like it so far. Just needs more users.
Im gonna go with talking to humans in real life
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2022, 08:47 AM   #947
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well thank goodness the smart business minds have moved into Twitter then. Because nothing screams business competency like buying a company that is losing $4M a day by adding $13B of debt that needs to be financed on top of it.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 09:23 AM   #948
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Meh. All it takes is one or two prominent figures to move their account to one of the other sites. Especially if Musk tries to force people to pay for Twitter.
Trump had 89 million followers and a massive cult of ideology. How did Truth Social go? Or Parler?

People follow hundreds of accounts, big and small. People aren't just going to abandon the collection of accounts they follow or the followers they have accumulated over time for one influencer. No individual node in those social networks is more valuable than the network. Even Bieber and Taylor Swift aren't making that happen, and their accounts are each smaller than Elon's anyways.

If Twitter does implement paywalls or something else that fundamentally worsens/breaks the creator/user experience, then there could be a mass exodus, but it's not happening otherwise. One or two big influencers does not make a global town square.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2022, 09:28 AM   #949
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Trump had 89 million followers and a massive cult of ideology. How did Truth Social go? Or Parler?

People follow hundreds of accounts, big and small. People aren't just going to abandon the collection of accounts they follow or the followers they have accumulated over time for one influencer. No individual node in those social networks is more valuable than the network. Even Bieber and Taylor Swift aren't making that happen, and their accounts are each smaller than Elon's anyways.

If Twitter does implement paywalls or something else that fundamentally worsens/breaks the creator/user experience, then there could be a mass exodus, but it's not happening otherwise. One or two big influencers does not make a global town square.
I'm not sure how you can say that so confidently. The past shows this not to be true, with places like MySpace. A lot of people have moved to TikTok. "Influencers" don't care, they just add to to the list of "subscribe to my Youtube, TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Mastadon you know what to do!"

I think what will drive change is when other sites start adding Mastadon(or whatever turns out to be the favored replacement) embeds to things like news stories as they do with Twitter now.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 09:32 AM   #950
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Agree with this. There isn't anyone on twitter important enough to lead a change. If there were - it would make sense for someone to just come and pay those users a bunch of money to switch platforms. This happened a bunch to video game streamers - but even those people switching services couldn't get a bunch of people to move off Twitch to Mixer or YouTube gaming or whatever.
Old 11-08-2022, 09:40 AM   #951
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Im gonna go with talking to humans in real life
Thoughts and prayers.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2022, 09:41 AM   #952
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm not sure how you can say that so confidently. The past shows this not to be true, with places like MySpace. A lot of people have moved to TikTok. "Influencers" don't care, they just add to to the list of "subscribe to my Youtube, TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Mastadon you know what to do!"

I think what will drive change is when other sites start adding Mastadon(or whatever turns out to be the favored replacement) embeds to things like news stories as they do with Twitter now.
All of those other apps offered something different and people go to them for different reasons/experiences. They offer substantially different value propositions for creators and users. They're not just clones of each other.

I'm not saying Twitter can't go the way of MySpace and lose audience to something else, I'm just saying it's not going to be beaten by a bunch of Twitter clones, just like MySpace wasn't replaced by MySpace clones. Any alternative that wants to take on Twitter needs to offer something that is a huge improvement on Twitter or completely reshapes the town square experience rather than just being a clone not owned by Elon.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 09:47 AM   #953
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All of those other apps offered something different and people go to them for different reasons/experiences. They offer substantially different value propositions for creators and users. They're not just clones of each other.

I'm not saying Twitter can't go the way of MySpace and lose audience to something else, I'm just saying it's not going to be beaten by a bunch of Twitter clones, just like MySpace wasn't replaced by MySpace clones. Any alternative that wants to take on Twitter needs to offer something that is a huge improvement on Twitter or completely reshapes the town square experience rather than just being a clone not owned by Elon.
I guess I just disagree. Enough people start moving, the crowd follows. And it's not like Twitter is some feature complete social media site, there are plenty of ways to improve on it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 09:51 AM   #954
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The biggest 'clone' takeover I can think of was Reddit taking over from Digg.

The comparison you could see is if Musk starts push the 'paid' users way above the free users in terms of power or reach. If the free users are the ones people want to follow and more and more of them just give up because they've lost their reach - then you are at risk.

I think more likely is it splinters where some comes along and becomes 'sports twitter' and 'media guy twitter' or whatever. But even that is hard to see happening any time soon.
Old 11-08-2022, 09:53 AM   #955
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Maybe Twitter should just be a platform under an NPO and is funded by donations from individuals, institutions and corporations and monitored by decentralized community moderators and fact checkers. Similar to Wikipedia?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2022, 09:58 AM   #956
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So what are people looking into as alternatives to twitter? I signed up for counter.social and like it so far. Just needs more users.
I've had mixed results with Chatroulette.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NuclearFart For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2022, 10:04 AM   #957
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Ricky Gervais perfectly sums up the whole issue with Twitter (in a joke that James Corden famously plagiarized recently).

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2022, 11:17 AM   #958
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Maybe Twitter should just be a platform under an NPO and is funded by donations from individuals, institutions and corporations and monitored by decentralized community moderators and fact checkers. Similar to Wikipedia?
Interesting you weren’t bothered by it before Elon took over.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 11:22 AM   #959
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Bot says first name of Twitter daddy
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2022, 12:27 PM   #960
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Obviously it was run by business people trying to make money. They might not have been overly successful at it, but they were trying to make money. If they weren't - they would have been pushed out by shareholders/board. They didn't have a Facebook like structure where Zuckerberg can do whatever he wants because he has all the voting power.
Before Elon, twitter was owned by huge investment firms that manage trillions in assets and that also own significant amounts of all 6 major US media companies. Twitter has a profound ability to shape public discourse, influence politics and impact businesses. There are countless ways to extract value from twitter that aren't directly financial, but probably not so much that you still sell it to whatever schmuck is willing to pay $40B for it.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote