Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2023, 03:06 PM   #941
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I rented an EV with Hertz while in Vegas and I wish the location rented out the vehicles with 80% charge instead of 100%. The rental agreement doesn't seem to have any sort of buffer and it says they charge $25 to recharge if you don't return it with the same level as pick up. I'll go through 5% to 10% just getting back to the airport so returning at 100% is pretty much impossible.

Also, the MGM Resorts only seem to have level 2 charger so charging is brutally slow but at least it is free. Unfortunately our resort didn't have any working chargers in the valet garage so if I wanted to charge up I had to put it in the self park garage and then bring it back to the valet.
Huh? I rented from Hertz earlier this year in SF and they required me to return it with above a 70% charge or I'd have to pay $35 USD. It's not a 100% charge requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think what Fuzz was responding to in your original post though is how you end up dead. The whole not having to be really awake thing for a 40 hour drive.
Ah. My bad. I used wrong wording. I meant that even if I were tired doing that drive from midnight, that the features would help to compensate that grogginess to make it relatively OK of a consideration vs being forced to stop, grab some shuteye so that I could continue driving at 60-70%+ mental capacity.

But I wasn't saying I'd drive 40 hours non-stop. I was talking more like 6+ hours to 12 hours with less breaks for stuff like Kelowna or Vancouver where I wouldn't have to worry as much about a brain dead moment where a split second lapse in judgement causes me to veer off the road. It'd take more than that because the car deals with the minutiae and I continue to deal with the major.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm not picking on you or anyone in this thread specifically, but the two bolded bits are not really in agreement, and studies have shown it takes the average person a lot more time to re-engage than a split second.
I think what he means is that you predict there will be nothing of concern for a few seconds and you can do that quick grab, quick break, take hands off steering wheel and take off your jacket that's overheating you, take a longer glance at the screen to select music or review the map etc. and be completely fine.

Then while having a drink as you normally would while driving without those features, ready at any time to grab the wheel to do what needs to be done. You could also occasionally glance down to put down your bottle/can/change playlist/check map vs dividing your attention from the road and doing these things via peripheral vision, which for me is doable, but mentally exhausting when there's barely any breaks in between.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2023, 03:45 PM   #942
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not picking on you or anyone in this thread specifically, but the two bolded bits are not really in agreement, and studies have shown it takes the average person a lot more time to re-engage than a split second.
Those studies are based on total loss of control of the vehicle when a distracted driver stops focusing on driving and reaches for something - I doubt it has been comprehensively studied in a situation where a vehicle is already handling a high level of autonomy of driving and awareness for you.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 04:47 PM   #943
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Those studies are based on total loss of control of the vehicle when a distracted driver stops focusing on driving and reaches for something - I doubt it has been comprehensively studied in a situation where a vehicle is already handling a high level of autonomy of driving and awareness for you.
No, that wasn't what I was referring to. I can't find it right now(and perhaps I had read it in a book) but it talked about the mental delay between switching from not really being involved to having to take over immediately, and there being a few seconds for the brain to re-engage. And it makes sense.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 05:06 PM   #944
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Huh? I rented from Hertz earlier this year in SF and they required me to return it with above a 70% charge or I'd have to pay $35 USD. It's not a 100% charge requirement.
Quote:
That sounds like a total scam, I would complain about the impossibility of doing that task. Its not like filling your gas tank on the return where the needle barely moves on the dial.
Apparently up until October it was return at 70% or 75% or more for no charge and under that was $25 or $35 depending on loyalty status.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 12-13-2023 at 07:15 PM.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 07:18 PM   #945
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Apparently up until October it was return at 70% or 75% or more for no charge and under that was $25 or $35 depending on loyalty status.
Wtf. That's stupid. I agree with others, contact head office to complain about the impossibility of that task and get that fee refunded.
Old 12-29-2023, 01:22 PM   #946
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just saw a Cybertruck here in Salmon Arm. Looked like it was headed to the Tesla Superchargers here. I didn't think they were delivered here in Canada yet.

Actually didn't seem as ugly in real life but definitely seemed alien

Last edited by Street Pharmacist; 12-29-2023 at 09:53 PM.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2024, 04:39 PM   #947
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

https://jalopnik.com/cybertrucks-kee...now-1851148697
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 08:33 PM   #948
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Winter tires > AWD, but still lol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2024, 08:01 AM   #949
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not that surprising, given the weight of the thing and the side slope, along with probably stock tires. It looks even more ridiculous when it struggles, though.
Old 01-09-2024, 08:28 PM   #950
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

With this sustained deep freeze coming up, it might be interesting to see what type of increased power drain EVs end up with.
Old 01-10-2024, 01:04 AM   #951
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
With this sustained deep freeze coming up, it might be interesting to see what type of increased power drain EVs end up with.
About half the range is my experience if you have all the heating on and its below 25 C.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2024, 07:27 AM   #952
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Winter tires > AWD, but still lol.

I can’t imagine it does well in mud either, so not just a winter tire problem.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 07:32 AM   #953
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
About half the range is my experience if you have all the heating on and its below 25 C.
Does yours have the LFP battery? I hear those are worse in the cold.
Old 01-10-2024, 10:43 AM   #954
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Yes its LFP. I'm considering trading in once the new cells are released and the refreshed Model 3 just launched on the Tesla Canada website today. RWD has been fun with Nokian Hakkas but I think I want to upgrade to AWD.
Old 01-10-2024, 12:27 PM   #955
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My brother upgraded to AWD in Sept so he could transfer his FSD, but it is the pre-redesign version.

Which new cells are those? The 4680's? I had thought the AWD would still use the better 2170's. And Tesla is struggling to produce the 4680's at volume needed for Model Y and Cybertruck. Or is it another cell?
Old 01-10-2024, 01:30 PM   #956
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
My brother upgraded to AWD in Sept so he could transfer his FSD, but it is the pre-redesign version.

Which new cells are those? The 4680's? I had thought the AWD would still use the better 2170's. And Tesla is struggling to produce the 4680's at volume needed for Model Y and Cybertruck. Or is it another cell?
Only the Cybertruck uses the 4680 cells. Those are the ones they are having major issues manufacturing at scale as they are trying a completely new manufacturing process. Its probably the main factor holding back mass production and why Cybertruck inventory will be limited for a very long time.

In any case, as its obvious from all EV manufacturers that the technology is changing so rapidly, my next one will be a lease so I'm not saddled with old tech. Early EVs are going to be like early smart phones where there will be generational leaps in tech and you'll want to upgrade it every 3 years or so.
Old 01-10-2024, 03:49 PM   #957
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, the original base Y did use the 4680's initially, but they got rid of that model, presumably to have more capacity for the Cybertruck.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/t...te-221396.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2024, 09:57 PM   #958
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Our model Y, long range awd bought last year loses about 50 percent in weather like this. It’s pretty hard on them that’s for sure.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whynotnow For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2024, 02:26 AM   #959
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could the range drop below half if hitting -30C or lower? Or is the range loss sorta maxed out at some point?
Old 01-11-2024, 07:05 AM   #960
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it would max out. As temps drop, the battery needs to be heated more, requiring more energy. Same with cabin heat. You are just using more % of your battery for heat generation vs movement.