Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #941
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm first on the list to pick up mine in store at my EB Games tomorrow. Yay!

Remember, that Taco Bell promotion apparently pumped out 4000 PS4's. If only two or three of them have issues that's actually a VERY good success rate for a new hardware launch.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #942
swo2k1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Should be here tomorrow. Shipped last night.
swo2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #943
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I'm first on the list to pick up mine in store at my EB Games tomorrow. Yay!

Remember, that Taco Bell promotion apparently pumped out 4000 PS4's. If only two or three of them have issues that's actually a VERY good success rate for a new hardware launch.
Plus you have to think at least another couple hundred to the media outlets. Think IGN themselves got around 10.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #944
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should probably mention for those who might be interested, there's a Buy2Get1 at Target for games, PS4 technically doesn't apply but people have had success at the Target store in Market getting that promo for the PS4 games. I hear the stock is limited to FIFA14, Madden 25 and COD.

Edit: Promo ends today.

Last edited by Anduril; 11-14-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #945
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
My Killzone order shipped from Futureshop this morning and was marked as "In Transit" at 00:12 Richmond, BC time with an expected delivery date of 11/15 (Friday).

My PS4 order shipped from Best Buy this morning as well and was marked as "In Transit" at 01:33 Richmond, BC time with an expected delivery date of 11/18 (Monday).

I'm not sure why two things shipped from the same place at pretty much the same time have different dates. Hopefully they both come tomorrow.
Pretty much the exact same situation as me.

My Killzone order shipped from Futureshop this morning and was marked as "In Transit" at 00:17 from Richmond, BC with an expected delivery date of 11/15.

My PS4 order shipped from Best Buy and was marked as "In Transit" at 00:47 from Richmond, BC with an expected delivery date of 11/18.

Have a feeling that they will both come tomorrow, because as long as they get into Calgary tonight they will be on the delivery trucks tomorrow.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #946
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the Xbone fanboys! Even more silly than unboxing videos, we have this:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #947
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

wife pre-bought it for me as a birthday gift and just decided to tell her to return it. Haven't had much time to play my ps3 with a 15 week old in the house and also don't have a 1080P TV at this time so I think I can find other things to spend the money on.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #948
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by return to the red View Post
wife pre-bought it for me as a birthday gift and just decided to tell her to return it. Haven't had much time to play my ps3 with a 15 week old in the house and also don't have a 1080P TV at this time so I think I can find other things to spend the money on.
Should have kept it and sold it for a profit.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #949
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Should have kept it and sold it for a profit.
Really? Guy at EB games told her when she pre-ordered that there probably wasn't any need to
Old 11-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #950
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteLFan View Post
My bar is at the point of right before delivery so I don't know what happening with people getting November 18th dates.

Canada post from what I've encountered with them has been good with getting my stuff too me on time expedited or not. This order was with free shopping and by the looks of it should be at the Calgary sort facility, and sill says tmr for delivery.
Don't expect miracles from Canada Post. I order a lot of stuff online and their updates aren't nearly as accurate as say UPS and they are prone at times to be a day late even if the parcel is in Calgary as they simply don't have as good a structure for local parcel delivery as UPS or Fedex. I imagine that some people are going to get the shaft with theirs not being delivered until Monday that's why I'm not getting my hopes up to have it this weekend.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #951
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really? Guy at EB games told her when she pre-ordered that there probably wasn't any need to
He's a dummy - my EB Games isn't even getting enough stock to cover all their pre-orders, and they're one of the less busy locations in the city.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #952
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Sony says that there will be availability so the EB Games employee may have been right. I imagine the only profit would come from those that want a console now and aren't willing to wait a few weeks.

Even Target's advertisements say "No PS4 pre-order? No problem!" or something close to that.

Last edited by Meelapo; 11-14-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #953
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
SONY says that there will be availability so the EB Games employee may have been right. I imagine the only profit would come from those that want a console now and aren't willing to wait a few weeks.

Even Target's advertisements say "No PS4 pre-order? No problem!" or something close to that.
Just looked at ebay, could MAYBE make 100 bucks but for the hassle eff it I'll take the credit on my credit card and have a great time at the Cardinals/Colts game in a few weeks
Old 11-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #954
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Agreed but we all know if this was happening to the XB1 the Sony fanboys would be in full force all over the internet making a big deal of this.
Of course people would crap all over Microsoft if they did their RROD debacle again. Double digit (25-50%) percentage failure rates?!

"You'd think they'd learn."

Just like people would and should rightfully crap all over Sony if their network got hacked like before.

"You'd think they'd learn."

The obvious aside, what is a normal range of yields/failure rates for new tech? 5ish%? 5-10?
Old 11-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #955
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

More previews of Xbone coming down the pipe. In French and seems to be fairly positive on Forza, KI, and even Dead Rising. Had a pretty poor but new comment about Ryse though - I surely hope the game is longer than that:

http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/jeux/console...-600854-1.html

Une heure et demi nous ayant suffit à boucler près de la moitié des chapitres que compte le jeu, autant le dire, on a peu d'espoir de voir notre verdict final chanter une autre musique (à moins d'un miracle sur la fin du jeu ou sur le mode coop)

Some translations from Neogaf:

Have we been naive enough to believe, in the space of an instant, that Ryse could become Xbox One's God of War? We'll tell you straight up, it won't be anything, besides the sexy veneer that Crytek's title hides itself under. Certainly, the spectacular panorama views are numerous (English cliff, Roman hills), filled with ultra-high polygon models and with decorations filled with details, all draped with beautiful textures dunked in a bath of next-gen shaders. But while we're talking about spectacular views, the extremely linear levels to the extreme don't offer any possibility of exploration (in terms of climbing or platforming segments like God of War) and instead strings together combat arenas (a street, a market, a beach, repeat). Combat finds itself the central -- even if we wouldn't say only -- mechanic of Ryse.

Let's talk about combat. Commanding of Roman General Marius Titus, who launches into a campaign against the barbarians after the murder of his family (in a totally ridiculous scene), the player will initially start out impressed by the scene that ends each combat scenario, which underlines the brutality of each strike in a classy slow-mo. You'll amuse yourself for a while with the limpid mechanics, alternating between sword attacks, parries, and dodges to stop or stall enemy attacks, as well as QTEs that are symbolized by the colours of the gamepad buttons, which need to be entered as fast as possible to multiply their benefits (you can choose between health, XP, slower power gauge, or bonus damage). A few tens of minutes later, the snoozing rhythm of the combat risks ruining the veneer: our session quickly turned into a repetitive and undifferentiated fight depending only on the type of enemy (small barbarian, big barbarian, end of level boss).

An hour and a half gave us enough time to beat almost half the chapters that make up the game, in other words we have little hope that our final verdict will sing a different song than this preview (at least without an end-game miracle or time spent in co-op). At this time, we can only tell you this: Don't buy an Xbox One for Ryse, because the chance that the game won't disappoint is low.

(Should I buy it) Day One ?

No

Why: Because this title has a strong risk of just being a tech demo, its visuals hiding poorly an vulgar retelling of ancient Rome and a game design centered on an extremely repetitive combat system. You probably won't want to buy this ever, let alone day one.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #956
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

The typical failure rate most electronics want to see is less than 5% but it depends on the product and how the consumer responds.

360 had issues early to be sure but for the PS3 and 360 slim versions the 360 had a very slightly lower failure rate (by memory). PS3 I think overall ran at about a 10% failure rate.

Last edited by ernie; 11-14-2013 at 02:33 PM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #957
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
More previews of Xbone coming down the pipe. In French and seems to be fairly positive on Forza, KI, and even Dead Rising. Had a pretty poor but new comment about Ryse though - I surely hope the game is longer than that....
If you pre-ordered the game from Futureshop you can take advantage of their next-gen games buy back promotion. If you trade in a next-gen game by Jan 4th they'll give you $40. Not bad if you paid $40 for it.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #958
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you trade in a next-gen game by Jan 4th they'll give you $40. Not bad if you paid $40 for it.
Very true, I guess it'll just be a tech demo/rental then.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #959
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like EB and Bestbuy are looking to be late (Monday) but Futureshop seems on target for me at least.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #960
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got my copy of AC4 from Futureshop. Now hopefully I get a shipping notice from Bestbuy in a few hours so I can have my PS4 by noon tomorrow.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote