Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #941
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
I rode across it on friday. It's chained off, but that is because the path through the dog park is completely destroyed. You just have to navigate around the 10 ft deep sink holes and downed fences.
I rode up to the bridge today, and it is still chained off. I was going to throw my bike over the chain, but then opted not to.

I live in new Brighton, and was hoping to ride to the office(near chinook) this week, however with the bridge being closed, I believe I am hooped, as I can't think of a place to cross the river.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #942
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I live in new Brighton, and was hoping to ride to the office(near chinook) this week, however with the bridge being closed, I believe I am hooped, as I can't think of a place to cross the river.
Sounds like you and ride to near the same place. You could backtrack a bit through MacKenzie Lake and cross the river at 22x and then go up the hill behind the Ranche and then take Acadia/Fairmount all the way. That's the way I go from Cranston.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #943
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I took a look a look at the cities updated pathway map, and the bridge by Mackenzie meadows now seems to be open, however, I am not overly familiar with deer run, so I am going to abandon my plan. I am disappointed, i am unable to ride this week, however, it is a small problem compared to others in calgary.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #944
Shaggin Wagon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hello, I am new to this thread and was hoping for some advice.

I bought a cyclocross bike but need to get pedals. Should I buy them online? Will I need a special wrench to put them on or should I just go to a bike shop to buy/install them?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #945
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

online is usually cheaper and you can buy a pedal wrench (yeah, there's a special wrench) at MEC or a bike shop.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #946
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
Hello, I am new to this thread and was hoping for some advice.

I bought a cyclocross bike but need to get pedals. Should I buy them online? Will I need a special wrench to put them on or should I just go to a bike shop to buy/install them?
Switching out pedals yourself takes less than 10 minutes, just remember that the left-side pedal screws in in the reverse direction from the right-side pedal. I just bought these and really like them on my cyclocross.
The Following User Says Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #947
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I took a look a look at the cities updated pathway map, and the bridge by Mackenzie meadows now seems to be open, however, I am not overly familiar with deer run, so I am going to abandon my plan. I am disappointed, i am unable to ride this week, however, it is a small problem compared to others in calgary.
You don't want to ride through Deer Run anyway! Just follow the ridge through Parkland along Fish Creek til you get to the intersection of Canyon Meadows Drive and Acadia Drive. Then just burn down Acadia - it's a fantastic stretch of road and takes you all the way to where you need to go.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #948
Shaggin Wagon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
Switching out pedals yourself takes less than 10 minutes, just remember that the left-side pedal screws in in the reverse direction from the right-side pedal. I just bought these and really like them on my cyclocross.
Those look nice. I might go for those. Thanks for the link to that site.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #949
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
Yes, buy the pedal wrench. it will save you a lot of time and frustration, and racked knuckles and possibly damaged pedals.

Always start threading them in by hand.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #950
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
You don't want to ride through Deer Run anyway! Just follow the ridge through Parkland along Fish Creek til you get to the intersection of Canyon Meadows Drive and Acadia Drive. Then just burn down Acadia - it's a fantastic stretch of road and takes you all the way to where you need to go.
Just rode up to the bridge in question and it is closed. I believe the only way to cross the river is via 22x or glue more trail, neither of which are appealing options......
Old 07-03-2013, 01:02 AM   #951
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
Those look nice. I might go for those. Thanks for the link to that site.
They're dope. If you get them l also recommend these.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #952
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Rode the VFGFAMO (Valley First Granfondo Axel Merckx Okanaogan) for the first time yesterday. I would highly recommend the event. Gorgeous scenery, great crowds, great organization of the event, got to meet Axel Merckx, Simon Whitfield, and Alison Sydor among others.

Great value too. I think the standard entry was $250 or so, but if you go to Classe Speciale you pay 500, but you got a full Giordana professional level event logo's riding kit including Bib Overalls, full zip short-sleeve jersey, socks and seat bag. Plus there was preferential staging, a private reception, a warm-up ride with a bunch of the pros. Finally, they threw in a pair of Oakley Radarlocks, either an event badged pair or the Tour de France special edition that a bunch of Tour riders are wearing this year.

The free stuff alone was worth well over the $500 entry, but I was super happy with the ride and the support as well.

It was my first Granfondo and I was pleased to finish in under 6 hours which was my goal going in.

If anybody is thinking about adding a granfondo to their riding resume, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this one.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #953
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwo_threefour View Post
Rode the VFGFAMO (Valley First Granfondo Axel Merckx Okanaogan) for the first time yesterday. I would highly recommend the event. Gorgeous scenery, great crowds, great organization of the event, got to meet Axel Merckx, Simon Whitfield, and Alison Sydor among others.

Great value too. I think the standard entry was $250 or so, but if you go to Classe Speciale you pay 500, but you got a full Giordana professional level event logo's riding kit including Bib Overalls, full zip short-sleeve jersey, socks and seat bag. Plus there was preferential staging, a private reception, a warm-up ride with a bunch of the pros. Finally, they threw in a pair of Oakley Radarlocks, either an event badged pair or the Tour de France special edition that a bunch of Tour riders are wearing this year.

The free stuff alone was worth well over the $500 entry, but I was super happy with the ride and the support as well.

It was my first Granfondo and I was pleased to finish in under 6 hours which was my goal going in.

If anybody is thinking about adding a granfondo to their riding resume, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this one.

I've heard that as well. I was signed up but had to cancel going because I got a new job that wouldn't allow me to take monday off. I have a friend whose done Whistler, Banff, Trans Rockies Gran Fondo's and the Axel Merckx ride, and she only did the Axel Merckx one. It's her favorite. I'm going for sure next year.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #954
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here you go, you lycra wearing health nuts...

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/bike-lane-...gary-1.1359341

A whopping 5 whole blocks with lanes dedicated to just you. I guess you have to start somewhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #955
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

This has to be a win win for cyclists and drivers. Neither has to worry about the other.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #956
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buddy doin the divide race is on his way to Silver City now. Quite a feat and just sent him a message of encouragement as I'm sure it's been a long, lonely and tough ride.

Go Dennis!

http://trackleaders.com/tourdivide13...=Dennis_Loewen
Old 07-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #957
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Here you go, you lycra wearing health nuts...

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/bike-lane-...gary-1.1359341

A whopping 5 whole blocks with lanes dedicated to just you. I guess you have to start somewhere.
well, 7 blocks.

You're right, you have to start somewhere and this was a logical start. I checked it out this morning - for 9:30 am it was being pretty well used - I saw a child riding his bike with his mom on a downtown street!

City is currently working on the Centre City (downtown and beltline) network with its (pretty great) group of consultants. The next route up for construction in 2014 will be decided by the end of the year and the full network plan will be completed by about February. I sit on the steering committee for this plan, so feel free to ask questions or provide some input. Cycling has a decent budget so we should be able to build rather assertively over the coming years to create fuller network downtown.

Next year, work will begin on updating the city-wide network plan.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #958
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
This has to be a win win for cyclists and drivers. Neither has to worry about the other.
And pedestrians - much fewer cyclists on sidewalks when there's good bike infrastructure.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #959
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was just in Amsterdam not too long ago and people who hate bike lanes here should avoid it like the plague. It was rather stunning to see not only dedicated bike lanes, but dedicated transit lanes and dedicated sidewalks for pedestrians along with the roads for vehicles. I mean Calgary will never be that (and really few cities anywhere can), but it'd be nice if they could incorporate some of that here.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #960
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I was just in Amsterdam not too long ago and people who hate bike lanes here should avoid it like the plague. It was rather stunning to see not only dedicated bike lanes, but dedicated transit lanes and dedicated sidewalks for pedestrians along with the roads for vehicles. I mean Calgary will never be that (and really few cities anywhere can), but it'd be nice if they could incorporate some of that here.
In Holland bikes have the right away over vehicles, so i've been told by my Dutch co-worker