Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2022, 01:25 AM   #941
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I don't think Hrudey has said anything over the line, has he?

Is he not allowed to have his own opinion on Sutter as a coach given his personal experience with Darryl?
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 02:43 AM   #942
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post

Is he not allowed to have his own opinion on Sutter as a coach given his personal experience with Darryl?
He's allowed but I think in his professional media shoes he'd be better off not saying a thing, as I said he sucked in his last year under Sutter and since then Darryl has been an extremely successful coach.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:31 AM   #943
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Flames win! John Michael Gaudreau wins it in OT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
He's allowed but I think in his professional media shoes he'd be better off not saying a thing, as I said he sucked in his last year under Sutter and since then Darryl has been an extremely successful coach.

While true, having been coached by the guy, he’s in a better position than anyone in his job to talk about his style, expectations, etc.

He needs to declare his bias, not having had a positive experience. But should he not take a side? No way. He’s a commentator, with experience unique to the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:16 AM   #944
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This. I personally feel that Hrudey picks his words very wisely and never goes over the line. He is as unbiased as they come with his comments.
redforever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:22 AM   #945
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
The only reason these guys are in these jobs are because of their experience with coaches and the league. If we don't want them talking about it - Rogers would be better off hiring a bunch of radio hosts who talk for a living.

He's allowed to not like Sutter and have a different opinion. Having 4 guys up there all saying nothing would be boring.

I do think Hrudey does sometimes come off as trying hard to avoid seeming biased towards Calgary. But if he doesn't like Sutter - than so be it. Its fine.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:38 AM   #946
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Postgame links
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...y-15-1.6454265
http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl...cap143993.html
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/games/2447730
https://scores.nbcsports.com/nhl/rec...s=9&final=true
https://www.espn.com/nhl/game/_/gameId/401434813
Old 05-18-2022, 09:15 AM   #947
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Geez some people are sensitive. Do you want the media all saying the same things? Do you only want to people heap praise on Sutter?
Hrudey is paid to have an opinion and he expresses that based on his lived experience with Sutter. he doesn't make it personal.

He's doing his job.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:03 AM   #948
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I also find it funny that Hrudey gets complaints here about not being enough of a homer for Calgary while other fanbases constantly talk about how he's too much of one.

Meanwhile, we collectively make fun of the Oilers broadcast crew for being embarrassingly unprofessional and complete homers.

I'm honestly not convinced there's someone out there that CP would approve of. It's a tightrope walk trying to be pro home team, but not too much of one, while also having his own personal experiences as a player. I prefer him to all the other options we've had in recent years, especially given his chemistry and friendship with Rick Ball. I also think he does a good job of staying more neutral during HNIC panel discussions while still hyping up specific Flames.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:04 AM   #949
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

People in general get way too twisted up about what the talking heads say. What does any of it matter
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:15 AM   #950
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
People in general get way too twisted up about what the talking heads say. What does any of it matter
I think Flames fans don't want to hear nay sayers on a Flames broadcast, especially in game 7 going to overtime.

Cautionary is fine but saying you think Ott will steal it isn't what any Flames fan wants to hear and puts more weight in your gut. As much as a guy like Hrudey loves his fellow goalies its not necessary and I wish he'd just save it.

Now we don't need them turning into a panel of fluffers. Don't have to go full Oiler and thats just embarrassing, but be kind to our hearts in big moments.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:24 AM   #951
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I also find it funny that Hrudey gets complaints here about not being enough of a homer for Calgary while other fanbases constantly talk about how he's too much of one.

Meanwhile, we collectively make fun of the Oilers broadcast crew for being embarrassingly unprofessional and complete homers.

I'm honestly not convinced there's someone out there that CP would approve of. It's a tightrope walk trying to be pro home team, but not too much of one, while also having his own personal experiences as a player. I prefer him to all the other options we've had in recent years, especially given his chemistry and friendship with Rick Ball. I also think he does a good job of staying more neutral during HNIC panel discussions while still hyping up specific Flames.

No one has anything bad to say about Ball and Cuthbert. Especially Ball.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 10:28 AM   #952
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I think Flames fans don't want to hear nay sayers on a Flames broadcast, especially in game 7 going to overtime.

Cautionary is fine but saying you think Ott will steal it isn't what any Flames fan wants to hear and puts more weight in your gut. As much as a guy like Hrudey loves his fellow goalies its not necessary and I wish he'd just save it.

Now we don't need them turning into a panel of fluffers. Don't have to go full Oiler and thats just embarrassing, but be kind to our hearts in big moments.
That's not his job. His job isn't to be kind to us. His job is to have an opinion.
If he thinks Ott was going to steal it, which was a perfectly reasonable opinion at that time then he should say it.

The last thing I want is for him to sit there and not say something because he's worried about upsetting some Flames fans who can't tolerate anyone saying anything negative.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:40 AM   #953
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
That's not his job. His job isn't to be kind to us. His job is to have an opinion.
If he thinks Ott was going to steal it, which was a perfectly reasonable opinion at that time then he should say it.

The last thing I want is for him to sit there and not say something because he's worried about upsetting some Flames fans who can't tolerate anyone saying anything negative.
Agreed. We all tease the Oiler media echo-chamber, but if we can't take some negative opinions on our mortal team, it feels like people are advocating for that type of entirely biased media slant.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:40 AM   #954
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

That's fine to think that though I disagree.

Going into game 7 OT with two teams seasons on the line, I think you can be at least a little mindful of your audience.

And if you are going to throw out a bold prediction, just follow it up with "I could see it going the other way too, we will just have to see".

With the stress on the audience in that circumstance... be effing kind. Just my take.

It will be even harder this round in close games.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:43 AM   #955
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
No one has anything bad to say about Ball and Cuthbert. Especially Ball.
Except one is paid for his opinions on a panel, and the others are play-by-play broadcasters. Apples and oranges.

Hrudey is okay, but his comments in game 7 were cringey. Truth is, Flames were dominating and it sure seemed like the panel was doing all they could to do everything but admit that.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:20 AM   #956
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's fine to think that though I disagree.

Going into game 7 OT with two teams seasons on the line, I think you can be at least a little mindful of your audience.

And if you are going to throw out a bold prediction, just follow it up with "I could see it going the other way too, we will just have to see".

With the stress on the audience in that circumstance... be effing kind. Just my take.

It will be even harder this round in close games.
I'm sorry but how would what Hrudey says or not says impact your stress? That's weird man. Your team is going into game 7 overtime. It's a coin flip.

Saying that Ott was going to steal the series was NOT a bold predictions. To that point he was doing precisely that.

If you want commentators just to say what you want them to - that seems very dull to me.

You can disagree with what they are saying. But that's different from saying the should not have said it at all.

Sorry but this stuff drives me nuts. These guys are PAID to have an OPINION. They aren't paid to have your opinion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 11:40 AM   #957
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sorry but how would what Hrudey says or not says impact your stress? That's weird man. Your team is going into game 7 overtime. It's a coin flip.

Saying that Ott was going to steal the series was NOT a bold predictions. To that point he was doing precisely that.

If you want commentators just to say what you want them to - that seems very dull to me.

You can disagree with what they are saying. But that's different from saying the should not have said it at all.

Sorry but this stuff drives me nuts. These guys are PAID to have an OPINION. They aren't paid to have your opinion.
Its weird that it ruffles your feathers to this extent. I'm just looking out for my cardiovascular health, and yes going into sudden death OT those kind if comments do not help!

So what?

Hrudey has had some strange takes this season and seems to pull hard for someone on the team opposing the Flames in each game they play. Its a bit odd and im not sure if he's taking a page out of Cassie's book but it seems like Kelly has been going out of his way this year.

I'm probably barely going to watch the panels this series for my own sanity so I don't care, they can say whatever they want.

You're all pro-opinion so I don't know why you have to knock mine. I said IMO. Why not just take agree to disagree and go about your day. Really petty thing to go out of your way to grill a fellow fan about.

Not your job to lecture others on what we can or can't think about analysts and their remarks. I can say I don't like it if I want.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:55 AM   #958
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its weird that it ruffles your feathers to this extent. I'm just looking out for my cardiovascular health, and yes going into sudden death OT those kind if comments do not help!

So what?

Hrudey has had some strange takes this season and seems to pull hard for someone on the team opposing the Flames in each game they play. Its a bit odd and im not sure if he's taking a page out of Cassie's book but it seems like Kelly has been going out of his way this year.

I'm probably barely going to watch the panels this series for my own sanity so I don't care, they can say whatever they want.

You're all pro-opinion so I don't know why you have to knock mine. I said IMO. Why not just take agree to disagree and go about your day. Really petty thing to go out of your way to grill a fellow fan about.

Not your job to lecture others on what we can or can't think about analysts and their remarks. I can say I don't like it if I want.
Perhaps you should also create a wall of shame for broadcasters. Seems like you have very little capacity to accept that other people can have opinions or takes on games that don't align with yours.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 12:00 PM   #959
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Perhaps you should also create a wall of shame for broadcasters. Seems like you have very little capacity to accept that other people can have opinions or takes on games that don't align with yours.
Only cause of the circumstance going into sudden death in a hard fought series that went 7 games on what was the Flames broadcast.

Seems like a rational take to me.

I don't need the Flames broadcast pumping up the worst case scenario. Don't like it. Don't care what you think about that, I stand by that!

Wall posts are fully earned, and not a matter of people disagreeing. It's also all in good fun.

Last edited by djsFlames; 05-18-2022 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:08 PM   #960
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I had more of an issue with Millen wondering after ever icing, missed opportunity, or whatever if that might have been the mistake that costs the Flames the series!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good