Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #9481
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

the most fascinating aspect of trying to acquire Mark Stone is what then happens to Michael Stone?

Is it mathematically possible to keep the core group intact and re-sign Mark Stone with Michael Stone on the roster? I don't think it is.

So are you in essence saying, 'come to calgary and win the cup with your brother this year, after which we will either be buying him out or trading him to anyone that can take him in order to pay you the money you want.'?

Do you acquire Mark Stone simply in order to win this year, with no intentions of re-signing him in the offseason?
Old 02-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #9482
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
the most fascinating aspect of trying to acquire Mark Stone is what then happens to Michael Stone?

Is it mathematically possible to keep the core group intact and re-sign Mark Stone with Michael Stone on the roster? I don't think it is.

So are you in essence saying, 'come to calgary and win the cup with your brother this year, after which we will either be buying him out or trading him to anyone that can take him in order to pay you the money you want.'?

Do you acquire Mark Stone simply in order to win this year, with no intentions of re-signing him in the offseason?
Trade him to Edmonton so they can be close?
Old 02-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #9483
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
but would BT be willing to pay the price? would fans be happy with that price?

Wilson is suggesting Jankowski, Czarnik, 2019 first-round pick, 2020 second-round pick and Kylington for Stone, using the Karlsson deal as a template

not to mention a number of deals after the season in order to free up the cash to resign Stone...
No way he costs that much rentals never cost that much and rarely this late in the game do we see deals where players are traded and sign with their new team immediately.

I think if the Flames acquire Stone and are able to re-sign him it will be similar to Mike Stone where he was signed before free agency. I could see a C.K. sotional picn being thrown in but no way Janko, Kylington, 1st, 2nd that is overpay by at least 1 asset.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #9484
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

if frolik in the deal, and then brodie is traded in the off season to recoup picks/prospects it is.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
TKachuk-Backlund-Stone
Bennett-Jankowski-Neal
Mangiapane-Ryan-Hathaway

Gio-Andersson
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Stone

I'd say move Neal but It's really unlikely it's possible. I'm starting to really like our third line, they have been great of late. Also I'd say Neal has been good of late. Much better then Frolik who has has been an offensive black hole.

Last edited by Phagoof; 02-11-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #9485
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagoof View Post
if frolik in the deal, and then neal is moved in the offseason or bought out it is.
Neal buyout haunts this team for 8 years. No chance that happens.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #9486
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There is 0% chance Neal is bought out.

Is there a number smaller than 0? That's the likelihood of a Neal buyout.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #9487
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Frolik would by a must go.

Brodie or Hamonic are dealt for picks

Neal likely unmovable so then you look at other high priced non core players and names like Ryan get shipped and the 4th line C makes $1.1M instead of 3.1
Old 02-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #9488
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mark Stone is a 8-9 million dollar player this summer.

Can the Flames actually sign that kind of contract without moving out neal+mike stone?

How can they do that? Who is going to take either one of those guys?
Old 02-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #9489
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Neal buyout haunts this team for 8 years. No chance that happens.
At risk of sounding like a broken record I really believe Neal is gonna breakout here soon. His play lately suggests same. I don’t expect him to be putting 30 away every year for the remainder of his contract but if he can do 20/20 and a good character in the room he’ll be worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #9490
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

TSN has put Huberdeau on its trade bait board.

https://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre/video...rovsky~1608522

Speculating that he might be involved in a potential deal for Panarin and Bobrovsky
Old 02-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #9491
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

If so, that is a huge, huge deal.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #9492
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Can the Flames actually sign that kind of contract without moving out neal+mike stone?

Flames need to avoid paying a winger 8-9M outside of Tkachuk or 3 years Gaudreau.

Stone would need to sign for less or move on and if he is moving on I wouldn’t want him on the Flames to begin with.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #9493
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

IIRC someone mentioned trying to send Mike Stone to OTT for dzingel. Maybe up the package to include a pick or b prospect for Nillson.

May give Mark some incentive to resign there and not be traded anywhere.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #9494
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Flames need to avoid paying a winger 8-9M outside of Tkachuk or 3 years Gaudreau.

Stone would need to sign for less or move on and if he is moving on I wouldn’t want him on the Flames to begin with.
I dunno, I think the fact that Gaudreau, Lindholm, Monahan and Backlund are signed to fair or below market deals allows the team to splurge on a guy like Stone as well as pay Tkachuk his money. Gotta go for it in this window.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #9495
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A lot of people seem to think that Frolik (4.3) and Brodie (4.65) won't be here past draft day.

I find that hard to believe myself, but that's almost 9 million (as an example of players that could move with positive value). Not counting the obvious 4.25 from Mike Smith. Plus the Bouma and Murphy buyouts (almost 1 mil).
Old 02-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #9496
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see Brodie moved in the off season, allowing one of the young D to move up and move Hanifin to top pair. In that scenario, Michael Stone is a little more valuable next year. I see both him and Frolik on the roster next year. Interesting that Flames haven't had expiring contracts in a while.

The unknown is goaltending next year. Who's it going to be and how expensive will it be.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #9497
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I could see Brodie moved in the off season, allowing one of the young D to move up and move Hanifin to top pair. In that scenario, Michael Stone is a little more valuable next year. I see both him and Frolik on the roster next year. Interesting that Flames haven't had expiring contracts in a while.

The unknown is goaltending next year. Who's it going to be and how expensive will it be.
Maybe the tweets from Froliks agent have blown over but I just don’t see how he’s here next year. For one, we need the cap space and two, Frolik will want to be put in a top 6 role to inflate his value for his last (likely) contract.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:57 AM   #9498
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post

Very doubtful they move him to his off side.

I think you leave the 2nd unit alone, move Andersson to play beside Gio and allow Valimaki and Stone/replacement to man the 3rd unit.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:01 AM   #9499
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
TSN has put Huberdeau on its trade bait board.

https://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre/video...rovsky~1608522

Speculating that he might be involved in a potential deal for Panarin and Bobrovsky
I think the Panthers are trying way too hard to get Panarin and Bobrovsky if they are going to trade their best winger with a great contract for them.

That would be a huge win for Columbus.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #9500
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2018/2019 Trade Speculation and Rumors

I just don’t see Treliving over paying for Stone, I still like the idea of bringing in Zuccarello for probably half the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread