Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 12:33 PM   #9481
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
The best Friedman abbreviation was MEEFS and it's not even close.
I was partial to TOOO.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 12:58 PM   #9482
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

I dont think we are getting Eichel. What about Tom Wilson? He would be like a better Ferland. They just went 7 games and didn't need him at all. Maybe they would be willing to move him to improve thier D? Then the Flames could leave Lindholm at Centre. Move Ritchie down. Not sure who we could offer though. I'm starting to think they wouldn't survive with out Hanafin.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:29 PM   #9483
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think they should sell at the deadline.

I'm afraid BT will hold onto his roster if if they're hovering around a playoff spot at the deadline. He might even spend some picks again to add some defensive depth.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:41 PM   #9484
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
I dont think we are getting Eichel. What about Tom Wilson? He would be like a better Ferland. They just went 7 games and didn't need him at all. Maybe they would be willing to move him to improve thier D? Then the Flames could leave Lindholm at Centre. Move Ritchie down. Not sure who we could offer though. I'm starting to think they wouldn't survive with out Hanafin.
Not a fan at all, but would be the perfect Sutter player.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:55 PM   #9485
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t think Washington has any interest in trading Wilson.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 02:01 PM   #9486
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imagine if Sutter had Josh Anderson. After we hired Sutter, I instantly got sad at the fact that we'll probably never see Anderson coached under Sutter.

Would Domi be a Sutter-like player?
Old 03-21-2021, 02:02 PM   #9487
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fivenagame View Post
I think they should sell at the deadline.

I'm afraid BT will hold onto his roster if if they're hovering around a playoff spot at the deadline. He might even spend some picks again to add some defensive depth.
I will lose it if he does that again. Our defensive depth has never really been the key issue imo, we've always had stable enough goaltending to hold our own in the playoffs (aside from a few games) and our defense staying solid for the most part. Our offense is so inconsistent that we need all of the secondary scoring we can get.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 02:04 PM   #9488
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tkachuk AND Wilson on the same team? I can feel the hatred flowing in our direction with just the thought of those guys being teammates.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:52 PM   #9489
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this team needs to move on from both Gaudreau and even moreso Monahan. I just don't see it happening until the season is over, probably at the draft. I am a huge Gaudreau fan but there are multiple reasons why I think a trade is the best route here. Monahan is a great sniper and that's it. He should have been a winger imo. If he is not going to the slot and scoring he adds nothing and he seems to shy away from that area nowadays, I think from racking up injuries in those spots. If Johnny is re-signed I am fine with that and if we trade him for fair value I am also ok with that. Monahan absolutely needs to go though.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:58 PM   #9490
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
No mental gymnastics involved. Trading a winger for a winger is usually pretty easy, especially when they are so similar in so many ways. Gaudreau for Konecny is just a real solid fit. Gaudreau has much more star power and is a local boy (his childhood arena where he and Buddy Robinson played together is 25 minutes from the site of the old Spectrum, so Johnny is as local as cheesesteak) and Konecny is a cog in the Flyer machine. It would be small winger for small winger. Gaudreau's fiance is also a nurse at a local hospital and his family is involved in that local community. The draw there is pretty undeniable for both parties. So no stretch.
RE: similar winger for similar winger - the trade is then known proven point getter for younger, cheaper potential. How does trading for the same thing make CGY better, other than extra cap space?

RE: The clear PHI connections - Your post reads like the PHI free agent pitch to JG. I am fully aware that JG has strong connections to PHI. So What?

CGY should trade JG to PHI because JG would be great there and he would be happy there. Improving CGY should have no bearing? If anything, by your reasoning, PHI should be backing the truck up and giving Tre whatever he asks for.

Quote:
Calgary doesn't want to trade him to his hometown team, they are possibly just the easiest since this is where Gaudreau likely wants to end up.
Until his NTC kicks in, where JG wants to end up is irrelevant. If Tre trades him to NJD, NYI, FLA - that's where he goes. The question in your scenario is will PHI pay a premium believing JG will sign an extension.

Quote:
Why would New Jersey be a better fit? Other than being raised in New Jersey he has no affiliation with the Devils. They are also a rebuilding team looking to find the right long term components. Is Gaudreau one of those? I don't see it. Gaudreau may be a Jersey boy, but he's a south jersey boy which is more Pennsylvania, and more importantly Philadelphia, than it is Jersey. Why would Jersey be inclined to trade a center just breaking out, plus other pieces, for small winger? Seems like trying to force something that isn't there. Same with the Islanders. How do you make the salaries work? What's the deal? Gaudreau for Pageau and Beauvillier? What else does Calgary kick in there? Valimaki? Seems like a deal with the Islanders is very difficult to work out and would be something forced. The Flyers suggestion seems like the most likely because it is a really good fit.
Where a player is from is irrelevant, unless that player is a free agent. If birthplace is such a key aspect, then TOR should be going nuts trying to get every Toronto area born player out there; Hall should want to only play in CGY and be willing to do it for half the money.

In NJ, when they are all healthy, Zacha will be stuck behind Huges & Hirschiesr. They are likely losing their top 2 wingers to UFA. NJ needs someone with skill to play with their stud centers. They have a ton of cap space, so no need to deal bad contracts. They have plenty of good prospects. They have plenty of wingers with size, but less skill. Even if they are a couple of years away from "win now", they still have to ice a team that sells a few tickets.

In the end, I'm not a GM. I just don't know why CGY should try so hard to deal JG to PHI just to make PHI and JG happy. I am in the camp that believes TK doesn't make CGY any better. Shouldn't "Improve my team first" be the basis for any deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 05:29 PM   #9491
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Getting Wilson would be so beautiful-Imagine a team with Lucic, Bennett, Tkachuk. He’s much too valuable to Washington, though. He brings hurt and intimidation like nobody else in the league. He can swing momentum with a hit, or a fight.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:42 PM   #9492
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Imagine if Sutter had Josh Anderson. After we hired Sutter, I instantly got sad at the fact that we'll probably never see Anderson coached under Sutter.

Would Domi be a Sutter-like player?
Domi at his best would be a total Sutter player, problem is-he has intensity issues sometimes, and if playing for the biggest hard-ass in the league doesn’t light a fire under you, not sure Sutter would want to deal with him. He’s not exactly ripping it up so far in CBJ.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 09:18 PM   #9493
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Getting Wilson would be so beautiful-Imagine a team with Lucic, Bennett, Tkachuk.
We already have Lucic, Bennett and Tkachuk and we are a soft team to play. Wilson wouldn’t make us the Broad Street Bullies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2021, 09:52 PM   #9494
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, I think the only one to trade is Johnny. That's it.
Whenever I watch the games I feel he is the one most out 9f step with the rest of the team. That isn't saying he sucks, just that I don't see the fit any longer. The games when Johnny is on are growing fewer and further in between. And I belive its just the game the Flames are playing.

And I also think we have the LW depth to make such a move.

End of the day, I dont see what the future holds for a lot of players, except Lindholm, I think the Organization as a whole have bought into they guy completely. In fact so much so I think he is their #1 player in their eyes. And it's tough to argue otherwise. He hasn't missed a beat and just keeps at it consistently. Most consistent player we have had on the team 3 seasons running now.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:59 PM   #9495
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnny+ Bennett for konecny+ Patrick

I dont think they'd ever trade him but acquiring provorov somehow would be the real steal.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:19 PM   #9496
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

1 year of Johnny is not worth 4 years of an underpaid Konecny + Patrick.
Yes, Johnny would probably be willing to re-sign with the Flyers, but there's no reason they would pay a premium to the Flames for that.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:29 PM   #9497
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
We already have Lucic, Bennett and Tkachuk and we are a soft team to play. Wilson wouldn’t make us the Broad Street Bullies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, no team will ever be like the Broad Street Bullies again, but don’t underestimate the level of toughness and intimidation that Wilson would bring. Also, don’t forget about Ritchie-looks like he’s becoming a regular. I really don’t think we’re all that soft anymore, especially with how our forecheck is improving under Sutter.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:35 PM   #9498
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
1 year of Johnny is not worth 4 years of an underpaid Konecny + Patrick.
Yes, Johnny would probably be willing to re-sign with the Flyers, but there's no reason they would pay a premium to the Flames for that.
Aside from the listless efforts 85% of the time people forget that Monahan is 103rd in scoring and Gaudreau is 66th.

That isn’t good, for top line players.

We won’t be getting back much in a trade here for these lazy bones’. It is time to move on from them, Gaudreau especially looks extremely disinterested to be here if not borderline counting the days. Not an ice cubes chance in hell he re-signs and the clues are absolutely everywhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 11:52 PM   #9499
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Well, no team will ever be like the Broad Street Bullies again, but don’t underestimate the level of toughness and intimidation that Wilson would bring. Also, don’t forget about Ritchie-looks like he’s becoming a regular. I really don’t think we’re all that soft anymore, especially with how our forecheck is improving under Sutter.
So no problem with the fact Wilson could be the dirtiest player in the league?
The way you guys complain about players like Kassian, you'd think you wouldn't be drooling over Wilson.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:48 AM   #9500
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
So no problem with the fact Wilson could be the dirtiest player in the league?
The way you guys complain about players like Kassian, you'd think you wouldn't be drooling over Wilson.
Id take Wilson or even E Kane (if he'd waive) even Perry. I get this feeling we aren't getting Eichel or any top C for that matter. May have to just build out the team towards a Sutter style that can out grind teams and draw penalties but still has skill. I just dont see a mythological highend 1C unicorn coming to save this team. Although chances any of these 3 are available to the Flames is slim as well.
Closed Thread