Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #921
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone know if you can get tires mounted at Costco if the tires weren't purchased there? I bought winters (almost brand new) for a big discount online and bought the rims online at Costco.ca. Now Im wondering if they'll put them on for me since I haven't purchased them there. I tried calling but the tire centre doesn't have a direct line and I was put on hold for a while so just gave up
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #922
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ya. Have to make an appointment though. Good luck. Don't remember the email address, but I know they pretty much gave up doing it by phone. Best chance is to show up when they open.

Last edited by keratosis; 10-01-2014 at 06:02 PM.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #923
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Does anyone know if you can get tires mounted at Costco if the tires weren't purchased there? I bought winters (almost brand new) for a big discount online and bought the rims online at Costco.ca. Now Im wondering if they'll put them on for me since I haven't purchased them there. I tried calling but the tire centre doesn't have a direct line and I was put on hold for a while so just gave up
Went through this EXACT thing last winter. Had tires already, bought rims from Costco.ca.

They tried to tell me they needed to BOTH be bought from there. Tire center lady said no, but called her Ast Manager. Assistant Manager said she didn't know and that the store manager was off that day so she couldn't ask. They did it eventually because a tech overheard the conversation and jumped in when I was leaving and said "Hey come back, no problem, we're slow I can have that done in 15 minutes" but it was a struggle.

Wasn't any cheaper than a regular shop, you might have better luck but I'd recommend you go elsewhere. Only reason I persisted was because they were my dads tires and he really wanted Costco to do it. Mr Detail and Urban X are my go to's for anything wheel or tire related

Last edited by btimbit; 10-01-2014 at 07:31 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #924
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The tire craft on Edmonton Trail is amazing as well, and if you buy your tires from them they are dirt cheap for having them swapped. Great service as well.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteLFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2014, 09:24 PM   #925
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think I'll give Costco another call tomorrow. It sounds like they don't really know how to handle it. Wherever it is, I would like to beat the rush. Ive been in a tire shop when the first snow falls and it's a gong show
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #926
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What places offer tire storage? I think some Kal-Tires do but I don't think they have the tires I'm looking for. We already store one set of winter tires/rims and don't really have room for a second set so would consider paying for tire storage for the time being. Do some tire shops offer a deal on storage if you buy the tires from them?
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #927
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
What places offer tire storage? I think some Kal-Tires do but I don't think they have the tires I'm looking for. We already store one set of winter tires/rims and don't really have room for a second set so would consider paying for tire storage for the time being. Do some tire shops offer a deal on storage if you buy the tires from them?
I think I read/heard somewhere that Harper's Tire offers storage. Can't say from firsthand experience though.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:34 AM   #928
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know where one can get wheel guides/hangers in town?

Also, I'm looking for a good low-profile floor jack. Id like to get something of descent long-term quality (ie OTC). Any recommendations of stores to check out?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #929
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In the past 5 years, I've had 4 cars with 4 different brands of winter tires on them. I would rank them as:

Nokian / xIce 3 - Tied for best
Pirelli Sottozeros
Blizzaks

The last two are on Audi quattro equipped cars which covers a lot of flaws, but I was surprised with how good the Sottozeros are. Only one season, so I can't comment on wear but so far so good. Blizzaks were great to start with, but have worn pretty quickly. The xIce are on a little econobox that we hardly drive so I'm sure they will last forever.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #930
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just had a set of AT's installed on my truck.

Should be way better then the All season stock tire that were on when I bought it.

I highly suggest getting ahead of the game and get your winters on ASAP.

I got a feeling Winter is coming sooner than later this year...
Old 10-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #931
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Just had a set of AT's installed on my truck.

Should be way better then the All season stock tire that were on when I bought it.

I highly suggest getting ahead of the game and get your winters on ASAP.

I got a feeling Winter is coming sooner than later this year...
Definitely. Got my Duratracs ready to go. Bring it on snow
Old 10-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #932
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

So who's CP's tire dealer of choice? I had a great experience with UrbanX a few years ago, but they don't seem to be returning my calls/emails these days.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #933
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Does anyone know where one can get wheel guides/hangers in town?

Also, I'm looking for a good low-profile floor jack. Id like to get something of descent long-term quality (ie OTC). Any recommendations of stores to check out?
Princess Auto has a ton of floor jacks. I just have a cheap 2.5ton from there but you can get good quality ones there as well.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:39 AM   #934
chalms04
First Line Centre

Exp:

Picked up a new set of X-ice 3's from one of my car forums. Just gotta get them mounted up in the next couple weeks.
chalms04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:20 PM   #935
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
So who's CP's tire dealer of choice? I had a great experience with UrbanX a few years ago, but they don't seem to be returning my calls/emails these days.
Whenever I don't feel like going all the way to urban x I like Mr. Detail
Old 10-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #936
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
They always take a couple of days to reply, but I find the replies to be pretty detailed and thorough. I think they're just really really busy at certain times of the year. Often easier to just call.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #937
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They always take a couple of days to reply, but I find the replies to be pretty detailed and thorough. I think they're just really really busy at certain times of the year. Often easier to just call.
Agreed. I just called them this morning actually for a quote for my folks, and they spent a few minutes calculating what seems like a pretty good quote.

I wish that places would reply to emails promptly as well, but I have always had better luck just calling them.

FYI - they are apparently taking appointments for after October 21st, but that's not unusual for any tire shop at this time of year, I don't think.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #938
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
Princess Auto has a ton of floor jacks. I just have a cheap 2.5ton from there but you can get good quality ones there as well.
I've found Princess Auto to have mostly cheap chinese-made stuff...which is good for some things, but with tools I usually try to stick to higher quality so i dont have to buy it ever again. I guess I'm wondering what the "Lee Valley" is off the car tool world.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #939
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
I've found Princess Auto to have mostly cheap chinese-made stuff...which is good for some things, but with tools I usually try to stick to higher quality so i dont have to buy it ever again. I guess I'm wondering what the "Lee Valley" is off the car tool world.
Snap-on? My mechanic swears by them.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:55 PM   #940
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Urban X (no substitutes) for me the past few years. Bob at the NE location is super honest and candid with his customers. Every time you're there it's like having your good buddy do your tires for you. I didn't know so many CP'ers used them as well.