Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2016, 02:39 PM   #921
Knut

Exp:

^Mom refused to believe it. Doctors were suspicious but she would lie about Blood sugar numbers and the amount of insulin he was being given.

He died at the age of 15 @ 37lbs. Just horrible Also, alot of articles have a photo of him @ his 15th birthday party and it is painful to look at.

Medical neglect like this should be similar to child abuse.. mandatory reporting.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #922
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks for that. Honestly, I couldn't bring myself to review the story, as it is so painful for me as a dad of a young boy.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:09 PM   #923
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
^Mom refused to believe it. Doctors were suspicious but she would lie about Blood sugar numbers and the amount of insulin he was being given.

He died at the age of 15 @ 37lbs. Just horrible Also, alot of articles have a photo of him @ his 15th birthday party and it is painful to look at.

Medical neglect like this should be similar to child abuse.. mandatory reporting.
Horrible -- I don't even want to think about what he looked like at time of death.

My kid is pretty close to 37lbs and he's 1 year old.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #924
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Horrible -- I don't even want to think about what he looked like at time of death.
From early reports about this case, apparently the medics/emergency services personnel that attended once the parents called 911, had to have some counseling afterward.

From sibling accounts, this was a deeply religious family. One brother who saw Alex at the end, passed by Alex's room and thought he looked dead so he "grabbed his Bible and went to his room to pray, scared that Alex was already dead."
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:54 PM   #925
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/06/stan...sentenced.html
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:25 PM   #926
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

My kid is pretty close to 37lbs and he's 1 year old.
Your kid is close to 37 pounds as a one year old? That's how much a 4 year old should weigh.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:19 PM   #927
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heights and weights differ. Our daughter is almost 7 and finally hit 40lbs. So happy we finally were able to shed the giant booster seat.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2016, 11:42 AM   #928
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
This entire situation makes me so angry, and I'm not even sure if I'm more disgusted by the actual rapist or by the judge's dog crap ruling.

This was not a "he said-she said" case. This garbage human being was literally caught in the act of assaulting a woman. He was convicted of three felonies. This wasn't a grey area case where they weren't positive what happened.

But he gets six months in county jail because hard time in prison is too hard for him. Meanwhile you have people in jail for years for non-violent marijuana related offenses. But this guy ruins a girl's life and he gets off easy because the judge feels bad because his promising future is at stake.

And the letter from the kid's father is pretty stomach-turning as well.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2016, 12:54 PM   #929
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
This entire situation makes me so angry, and I'm not even sure if I'm more disgusted by the actual rapist or by the judge's dog crap ruling.

This was not a "he said-she said" case. This garbage human being was literally caught in the act of assaulting a woman. He was convicted of three felonies. This wasn't a grey area case where they weren't positive what happened.

But he gets six months in county jail because hard time in prison is too hard for him. Meanwhile you have people in jail for years for non-violent marijuana related offenses. But this guy ruins a girl's life and he gets off easy because the judge feels bad because his promising future is at stake.

Hear Hear! I'm glad she got to have her say - her statement is brilliant. I cannot believe the gall of his father to whine about how their/his lives are ruined. Boo Hoo he doesn't feel like eating a steak anymore.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #930
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Your kid is close to 37 pounds as a one year old? That's how much a 4 year old should weigh.
Well, "close" was a stretch. He's like 29 lbs. Comparable, though.

He's been 95%+ on the charts since he was born. He was actually off in his own category for a little while, then he started walking and has slimmed down quite a bit.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #931
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Well, "close" was a stretch. He's like 29 lbs. Comparable, though.

He's been 95%+ on the charts since he was born. He was actually off in his own category for a little while, then he started walking and has slimmed down quite a bit.

Wowzer good for you! My daughter is 3 and we can't even get her into the 26 lbs range!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:45 PM   #932
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
Hear Hear! I'm glad she got to have her say - her statement is brilliant. I cannot believe the gall of his father to whine about how their/his lives are ruined. Boo Hoo he doesn't feel like eating a steak anymore.
The whole thing is just so disgustingly privileged it makes me irate. It's like the kid in California who drove drunk and killed people and got off because "prison is too harsh." Killing people is harsh. Raping people is harsh.

And the whole "but she was drunk and doesn't remember!" thing is so awful.
1) Even if she did consent at some point, that consent is gone the minute she loses consciousness. He was caught in the act of assaulting an unconscious woman. End of story.
2) If you're out with friends and you get wasted and start mocking a guy way bigger than you, and he then beats the crap out of you as result? He's still getting charged for assault. You provoked him, sure, but he still assaulted you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2016, 03:52 PM   #933
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.movements.org/market/2125

Quote:
Local activists are reporting that ISIS publicly executed 19 Yazidi women in Mosul, Iraq, trapping them in cages and burning them to death after the women refused to have sex with ISIS fighters.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:54 PM   #934
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post

there was also a letter from one of his female friends talking about how he's a great guy and totally like not a rapist, like omygerd.

At the end of the day though 6 month sentence or not, he's got a felony on his record and he's a registered sex offender. His life is pretty much over. Everytime he interviews for a job, everytime his name gets googled, its going to be there forever. The kid's a pig and his old mans a worse pig. But sometimes there are greater levels of justice then the time measured sitting in jail.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2016, 05:43 PM   #935
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
there was also a letter from one of his female friends talking about how he's a great guy and totally like not a rapist, like omygerd.

At the end of the day though 6 month sentence or not, he's got a felony on his record and he's a registered sex offender. His life is pretty much over. Everytime he interviews for a job, everytime his name gets googled, its going to be there forever. The kid's a pig and his old mans a worse pig. But sometimes there are greater levels of justice then the time measured sitting in jail.
Yeah, it's true that it's going to follow him around forever, but he's going to be out of jail for Labor Day (one article I read said he'd serve just three months).

Just doesn't seem fair. He doesn't seem willing to accept his guilt in this, and three months in the county lockup probably won't change that. So he'll be out in a few months and still won't think he's done anything wrong. Seems like a risk to re-offend.

His dad though, geezus what an #######.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2016, 06:26 PM   #936
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Yeah, it's true that it's going to follow him around forever, but he's going to be out of jail for Labor Day (one article I read said he'd serve just three months).

Just doesn't seem fair. He doesn't seem willing to accept his guilt in this, and three months in the county lockup probably won't change that. So he'll be out in a few months and still won't think he's done anything wrong. Seems like a risk to re-offend.

His dad though, geezus what an #######.
Maybe but I think the future punishment is going to be worse. Lets look at these three scenarios.

HR Manager - "Thanks for coming into this interview with XYZ Megacorp, we looked at your resume and you have a good degree, an athletic background, and we think you'd be a fit for a highly paid executive position. Now I just need to ask you a few questions about your background, but I'm sure its just a formality"

Dirtbag - "Ok great, I'm really excited about this opportunity"

HRM - "Have you ever been convicted of a felony offense"

DN - "Um yes, but I only got a 6 month sentence for it"

HRM - "What was it for"

DB - "Rape"

HRM - "You can leave now and I'm not validating your parking"

Scenario two

Ding dong

Dad answers a door and tells his teenage daughter that he's got it. DB is at the door

DB - "Hello sir, I just moved into the neighbourhood, and by the terms of my parole I have to inform you that I'm a sexual offender"

Dad - "Don't come near my house again, and actually I'd prefer if you moved"

Scenario three

DBs cellphone rings he see's the picture of a hottie on the phone and smiles and picks up the phone,

DB - "Ahoy hot"

Girl - "Hey I'm phoning to cancel our date and tell you to never call me again"

DB - "But why"

Girl - "Well like a smart girl I googled you so I would know who I'm going out with and I see that you raped a drunk girl, and then your dad wrote a douchy letter and a friend of yours set up a facebook defense page putting the blame on the victim. I don't date pigs, don't call me or come near me or my friends again, and if you show up at that bar again and I'm there my brother is going to kick your a$$"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:41 PM   #937
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

One can only hope
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:59 PM   #938
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Maybe but I think the future punishment is going to be worse. Lets look at these three scenarios.

HR Manager - "Thanks for coming into this interview with XYZ Megacorp, we looked at your resume and you have a good degree, an athletic background, and we think you'd be a fit for a highly paid executive position. Now I just need to ask you a few questions about your background, but I'm sure its just a formality"

Dirtbag - "Ok great, I'm really excited about this opportunity"

HRM - "Have you ever been convicted of a felony offense"

DN - "Um yes, but I only got a 6 month sentence for it"

HRM - "What was it for"

DB - "Rape"

HRM - "You can leave now and I'm not validating your parking"

Scenario two

Ding dong

Dad answers a door and tells his teenage daughter that he's got it. DB is at the door

DB - "Hello sir, I just moved into the neighbourhood, and by the terms of my parole I have to inform you that I'm a sexual offender"

Dad - "Don't come near my house again, and actually I'd prefer if you moved"

Scenario three

DBs cellphone rings he see's the picture of a hottie on the phone and smiles and picks up the phone,

DB - "Ahoy hot"

Girl - "Hey I'm phoning to cancel our date and tell you to never call me again"

DB - "But why"

Girl - "Well like a smart girl I googled you so I would know who I'm going out with and I see that you raped a drunk girl, and then your dad wrote a douchy letter and a friend of yours set up a facebook defense page putting the blame on the victim. I don't date pigs, don't call me or come near me or my friends again, and if you show up at that bar again and I'm there my brother is going to kick your a$$"
I get all that, but he was convicted of a violent crime and got six months. The total lack of remorse or even an admission of wrongdoing beyond "I drank too much" make him a scary person to have walking around.

He sexually assaulted an unconscious stranger. All the failed job interviews, predator registries and and google searches won't stop him if he wants to do it again. Hell, it probably makes him more dangerous.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2016, 07:40 PM   #939
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
I get all that, but he was convicted of a violent crime and got six months. The total lack of remorse or even an admission of wrongdoing beyond "I drank too much" make him a scary person to have walking around.

He sexually assaulted an unconscious stranger. All the failed job interviews, predator registries and and google searches won't stop him if he wants to do it again. Hell, it probably makes him more dangerous.

And what message does it send to other girls who are sexually assaulted in a situation like this? That even when the guy is caught in the act, is convicted of a felony, and then as punishment he gets a mere 6 months in county jail. Is it worth the way the defense is going to drag your (irrelevant) sexual history through the mud, how the defense will try to blame you for your own assault, will embarrass you in front of family and friends and others, etc, all so the guy gets six months in jail?

This case here is why women don't always report rape, and why they might wait before reporting it.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2016, 07:29 AM   #940
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

The whole story makes me raging mad. Yes, it will absolutely discourage other women from coming forward. Why would they want to seek 'justice', when it's their reputation that seems to be put on the line? When you have a privileged rich kid on the stands, he is judged and sentenced based on his future potential while the victim is stripped down, questioned and humiliated in front of their friends and family, while being judged on her past. And this little creep still maintains that he didn't do anything wrong. And now, apparently, he'll be appealing his 6 month sentence. I don't know how the justice system in the States works, but it would be glorious if it went to a different court and they were able to re-evaluate and give him a harsher sentence. I'm SO angry.

His fathers letter is the most vile piece of tripe I've read in a long time. It was only "20 minutes of action". That Turner was now committed to educating others on the dangers of alcohol consumption and sexual promiscuity (!!!). That his son was a good cook and now only eats to exist. What an #######.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post: