Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #921
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraisoup View Post
Pretty odd that some of these consoles are DOA. Almost like a cable or something may not have been properly fastened during assembly as it's hard to imagine hardware failing before even being powered up.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #922
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poor soddering maybe? Wire comes loose and then your hooped?

The joys of being an early adopter! Honestly I would rather it be something that breaks right away, rather than some gradual decline. Find the issue, fix it and get on with life.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #923
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another report on IGN had to do with the HDMI jack not transmitting a signal.

Quote:
Though the PlayStation 4 won't be released in North America until Friday, some users who have obtained early access to the systems are reporting broken displays. An IGN retail PS4 stopped outputting through the HDMI after the user began downloading Netflix. Kotaku's first retail system also reportedly had a faulty HDMI jack that would not output a signal. Two other users on NeoGAF, who obtained early access to their consoles via a Taco Bell promotion, also reported similar problems with HDMI outputs. Based on reports from at least one user, Sony has been responsive to warranty claims and is shipping a replacement unit. As is the case for all PlayStation hardware, the PS4 is covered by warranty for twelve months.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #924
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Another report on IGN had to do with the HDMI jack not transmitting a signal.
So HDMI issue, then the issue of not booting up. What's the third thing going to be? Bad things come in three's afterall.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #925
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not too concerned, it Seems to be an issue with all electronics launches nowadays. Even Apple iPhones have a decent chunk of DOA phones when they first launch. Hear less about it though because you are usually starting it up for the first time in store.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #926
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yup we had a DOA iPhone 5 recently from the Telus store, had to mail it back to Telus, and they sent us another one with a different problem. Took almost a month to get a working iPhone

It happens, I doubt it'll be an issue
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #927
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Everyone should also check their visa terms and conditions or other credit card used to purchase for warranty.

My American Express extends my warranty for a additional year on the system.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #928
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Not too concerned, it Seems to be an issue with all electronics launches nowadays. Even Apple iPhones have a decent chunk of DOA phones when they first launch. Hear less about it though because you are usually starting it up for the first time in store.
Agreed but we all know if this was happening to the XB1 the Sony fanboys would be in full force all over the internet making a big deal of this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #929
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

With social media and quick updates these days, we probably hear more about such things than in the past (generations).

Can you imagine Microsoft denying their obvious RROD failure rate for 2 years in this day and age? Makes me sound old!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #930
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Agreed but we all know if this was happening to the XB1 the Sony fanboys would be in full force all over the internet making a big deal of this.
And I am sure we will see that happening next week.

Just part of being an early adopter and the new age of social media that brings all these problems to light.

Imagine if there was twitter during the days of the original Nintendo "Frigggg, why do I have to keep blowing on this g'damn cartridge to get it to work #FUNintendo"
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #931
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Well this will be the last time I ever order with Future Shop. Order placed June 11th, plus I paid for expediated shipping, and it has not even left yet. No shipping number or tracking number? Called Customer Service and got a guy who I could barely understand tell me nothing is wrong with the order, but was not able to confirm when it was going out? What is the point if everyone with free shipping gets it before I do?

Was really hoping they would come through but they seem to hit or miss. Did great on my WiiU, but still no E3 promotions...and now this.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #932
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
Well this will be the last time I ever order with Future Shop. Order placed June 11th, plus I paid for expediated shipping, and it has not even left yet. No shipping number or tracking number? Called Customer Service and got a guy who I could barely understand tell me nothing is wrong with the order, but was not able to confirm when it was going out? What is the point if everyone with free shipping gets it before I do?

Was really hoping they would come through but they seem to hit or miss. Did great on my WiiU, but still no E3 promotions...and now this.
If you're in Calgary expediated shipping from Richmond takes 1 day, you should still get it tomorrow if they ship it today. Free shipping takes 2 days so that's why they were sent first, Future Shop doesn't want to break the street date as they will get fined.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #933
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
If you're in Calgary expediated shipping from Richmond takes 1 day, you should still get it tomorrow if they ship it today. Free shipping takes 2 days so that's why they were sent first, Future Shop doesn't want to break the street date as they will get fined.
I would have more faith...but on the FutureShop Forums people that did get expediated shipping are showing a Monday delivery...

http://community.futureshop.ca/t5/So...ng/td-p/465115
Old 11-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #934
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Some reports of people having already received it. On a related topics, makes it almost worth it have multiple orders just to make sure you get something on time.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #935
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Some reports of people having already received it. On a related topics, makes it almost worth it have multiple orders just to make sure you get something on time.
I actually just thought about cancelling and doing a early morning to get an unreserved, but they pre-auth the card on Nov 11th (I had to call my CC company) and now you cant cancel.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #936
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I actually just thought about cancelling and doing a early morning to get an unreserved, but they pre-auth the card on Nov 11th (I had to call my CC company) and now you cant cancel.
It'll be a zoo trying to get one tomorrow, you're better off keeping the preorder and then if you end up getting a console tomorrow you can just return the Future Shop one when you get it. That way you are covered if you can't get one tomorrow.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #937
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

A buddy of mine called Future Shop and they said that the expediated shipping ones are waiting to be picked up by Canada Post and should be flown out today for what it's worth.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Jbo
Old 11-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #938
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My Killzone order shipped from Futureshop this morning and was marked as "In Transit" at 00:12 Richmond, BC time with an expected delivery date of 11/15 (Friday).

My PS4 order shipped from Best Buy this morning as well and was marked as "In Transit" at 01:33 Richmond, BC time with an expected delivery date of 11/18 (Monday).

I'm not sure why two things shipped from the same place at pretty much the same time have different dates. Hopefully they both come tomorrow.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #939
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think you will be better off not cancelling your preorder. I don't think there will be many unreserved consoles available compared to previous years as way more people pre-ordered this gen compared to last.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Jbo
Old 11-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #940
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My bar is at the point of right before delivery so I don't know what happening with people getting November 18th dates.

Canada post from what I've encountered with them has been good with getting my stuff too me on time expedited or not. This order was with free shopping and by the looks of it should be at the Calgary sort facility, and sill says tmr for delivery.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote