Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2015, 04:21 PM   #921
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Was about to pull the trigger on a Bond Seamaster locally, but am getting drawn in by the lure of a GMT Planet Ocean...which might require going grey market to stay on budget.
I'm doing a little shopping myself and we are in a rare instance where buying locally with a standard 15% discount beats buying grey market in USD.

Now if anybody can recommend a local guy that could sharpen that standard discount for me I'd be much obliged.

Buy before March 1 to beat the price increase!
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:26 PM   #922
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
Buy before March 1 to beat the price increase!
Don't let the sales types wind you up too much. For example MSRP increase on a Seamaster is $300. After a 15% discount that means an extra $255 on a $4,000 watch. Not chump change but I wouldn't let the threat of a price increase drive your decisions.

(I still haven't decided yet...)
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:07 PM   #923
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you considered haggling with a small independent Jeweler (owner) or the business (owner or someone with authority to do so) selling the watch? You might be able to squeeze it if it's slower moving inventory and they'd like the sale/cash flow/space to bring in new styles etc. But this doesn't always work.

Definitely would help your cause more if you're a regular customer for other stuff or buying multiple items from them. It would also help if you have a good idea on grey market prices and negotiate something from there to see if their suppliers have something. If they can make something above cost and increasing prices etc, I believe any smart business person should allow some leeway of negotiating. Another tactic is to look for the brand and ask the business if they're willing to do a special purchase order for you (for cost + XX%// Price relatively close to grey market website) the next time they grab inventory from the supplier (some refuse because either they don't want you to know cost and/or effort is too much because they have to find a different supplier that actually deals in the other product). Usually they would need you to pay up front though because they don't want to be saddled with inventory they don't normally deal with etc.

Maybe worth chatting up Gems by Carati? (Sponsor on CP).
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:34 PM   #924
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering getting this Montblanc Star; thoughts? Anyone had a Montblanc watch?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:30 AM   #925
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Has anyone bought from Jomashop? Just trying to figure out what I'll have to pay CBSA. 5% duty and 5% GST? How was the shipping experience?

Was about to pull the trigger on a Bond Seamaster locally, but am getting drawn in by the lure of a GMT Planet Ocean...which might require going grey market to stay on budget.
This response will only partially help, but about 5 years ago I brought a cheap Breil from them. Watch is legit and I've had no problems whatsoever. Shipping was fine, nothing notable. Problem is I live in the US so my shipping / duty / GST experience was different / non-existant.

I recently bought a Speedmaster Racing from authenticwatches (same kind of place) and they even have an amazon store for a touch of added legitimacy.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Fan, Ph.D. For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2015, 05:57 AM   #926
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Have you considered haggling with a small independent Jeweler (owner) or the business (owner or someone with authority to do so) selling the watch? You might be able to squeeze it if it's slower moving inventory and they'd like the sale/cash flow/space to bring in new styles etc. But this doesn't always work. (Sponsor on CP).
Unfortunately, most desirable brands are limited to a couple authorized dealers in town so there's a lot less ability to haggle.

Still, I suspect the number of people willing to pony up for luxury items is a lot less in the city right now. Discounts are about 15% right now but give it a few months and I suspect discounts of 20% will be the norm to at least keep the lights on in the store.
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2015, 03:52 PM   #927
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

This might be a silly question, but can you retrofit a steel bracelet to a model that originally came with a leather one? Like this:

Old 02-21-2015, 04:49 PM   #928
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

In most cases, yes. In the case of that Omega, definitely.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #929
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
This might be a silly question, but can you retrofit a steel bracelet to a model that originally came with a leather one? Like this:
I did the opposite and swapped a strap for a bracelet after the fact on a similar generation Aqua Terra. You'll need to determine the lug to lug width and find a bracelet that you like. Any Omega dealer in town should be able to help you order one if you can't find what you need on the internet.

Just a warning that bracelets are a little expensive.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bean For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #930
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

new watch

Once again, I think it's a pretty nice and unique looking watch.

And it's lightweight. Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #931
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a couple Skagen's...incredibly stylish IMO and really low profile.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:10 PM   #932
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love Skagen.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:42 AM   #933
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, but for the love of your wallet, buy the watch on bracelet and buy the strap and clasp after the fact.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2015, 01:31 AM   #934
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

What Table 5 and TorqueDog said. TorqueDog's point is useful wisdom and I think it is the rule when buying direct from authorized sellers. If you're buying from resellers, under certain situations where the watch is available in colour variations and on different straps, you might see the steel straps go for less. But this is the exception to the general rule TorqueDog pointed out.

Also, this little tool will serve you well when you want to swap.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #935
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Found a good deal on this now discontinued Baume-and-Mercier 8591. Not to flashy but a versatile design, IMO.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:42 PM   #936
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man I have been in the market for a watch for like a year, and I can't friggen decide on a brand or style. So far I like Baume & Mercie, Omega, & Breitling. Rolex's typically out of the price range.

That is all I have to contribute to this conversation. I am incredibly frustrated.

Last edited by CroFlames; 03-03-2015 at 03:46 PM.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:07 PM   #937
Doodlebug
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Man I have been in the market for a watch for like a year, and I can't friggen decide on a brand or style. So far I like Baume & Mercie, Omega, & Breitling. Rolex's typically out of the price range.

That is all I have to contribute to this conversation. I am incredibly frustrated.

Seeing as Rolex is out of the price range, how about Tudor? Oris has some nice watches nice as well, especially the TT1 dive watches (discontinued, but available new at some online retailers) are very attractive priced.

Last edited by Doodlebug; 03-03-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:09 PM   #938
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

Have you looked into vintage (or just previously owned) watches? If you are patient, which it sounds like you are, you might be able to find exactly what you are looking for.

Also, I get the idea of wanting something brand new, but if you buy a good watch it could/should last you decades. A few years old won't make a difference.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:26 PM   #939
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I would definitely look into a used watch if you're finding you can't find what you want in your price point. Rolexes tends to hold their value relatively well, Omega a little less so...but you can still save quite a bit on both if you look around. You could definitely get a deal on a Baume & Mercier as that brand doesn't really have a ton of cache yet in comparison.

Personally, I find http://www.watchrecon.com to be a good aggregator for used watches.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2015, 09:38 AM   #940
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Yeah, I would definitely look into a used watch if you're finding you can't find what you want in your price point. Rolexes tends to hold their value relatively well, Omega a little less so...but you can still save quite a bit on both if you look around. You could definitely get a deal on a Baume & Mercier as that brand doesn't really have a ton of cache yet in comparison.

Personally, I find http://www.watchrecon.com to be a good aggregator for used watches.
Thanks for the tip. Have you bought a watch from that site? Trustworthy? Or just a good yard stick for pricing?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote