Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2023, 09:03 PM   #9321
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
Once again, you’re curiously selective with the polling data that you share.

One thing I wonder, just how accurate our polls these days relative to election results? I think of recent mayoral elections, and the US elections, and find that the polls show the race being fairly closer than the end results. I've also noticed that the more left-leaning candidates have stronger results on election day than the last polls before the vote.

With the polls consistently showing NDP this close with the writ about to drop, it seems NDP are in a position that they should feel confident in winning this. As long as they don't make a dumb error in the next several weeks. They gotta be perfect if they're gonna win a majority. Because it's not an endorsement of the NDP, it would be anti-UCP/Smith voting that gets them in.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2023, 09:10 PM   #9322
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
One thing I wonder, just how accurate our polls these days relative to election results? I think of recent mayoral elections, and the US elections, and find that the polls show the race being fairly closer than the end results. I've also noticed that the more left-leaning candidates have stronger results on election day than the last polls before the vote.

With the polls consistently showing NDP this close with the writ about to drop, it seems NDP are in a position that they should feel confident in winning this. As long as they don't make a dumb error in the next several weeks. They gotta be perfect if they're gonna win a majority. Because it's not an endorsement of the NDP, it would be anti-UCP/Smith voting that gets them in.

I’m fairly confident that the NDP won’t make any glaring errors, the UCP are almost guaranteed to say or do something stupid, as is their norm.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 09:19 PM   #9323
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
I’m fairly confident that the NDP won’t make any glaring errors, the UCP are almost guaranteed to say or do something stupid, as is their norm.
Doesn’t hurt that the media is always on attack mode with Smith and leaves Notley alone never pressing her on anything or looking for holes in her campaign.

This election is for all of Canada not just Alberta.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1652123157204185088
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 09:24 PM   #9324
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Doesn’t hurt that the media is always on attack mode with Smith and leaves Notley alone never pressing her on anything or looking for holes in her campaign.

This election is for all of Canada not just Alberta.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1652123157204185088
Wait, what?

Did you just say that the media doesn’t attack Notley in the same post that you shared a tweet from a person who works in the media attacking Notley?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2023, 09:26 PM   #9325
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post

I think it has always been worth being cautious about how to interpret polling results. They are a pretty imperfect measurement tool that just happens to be the only one we have…

In Canada we face the additional challenge that polls almost never have useful data at the constituency level. And we know that the UCP has more efficient vote distribution, so the NDP probably needs to do better than tie the popular vote in order to win.

With that said, I also think one reason for caution on the polling data we’ve seen is that it’s too far out from the election. If I’m the NDP, I’m not necessarily looking at this as a tied race so much as one where the data shows the NDP trending up and the UCP trending down, and some signs of anti-incumbency sentiment that a strong campaign might be able to capitalize on.

And I think both parties know that the battleground is Calgary. Whichever party wins most of the seats in Calgary likely wins the election.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 09:35 PM   #9326
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, but it’s voting distributions that matter. These polls that have say 2000 people surveyed in Alberta and try to predict an election outcome are really going to struggle. I’m not sure that 2000 Calgarians is a good sample to try to get to seat counts.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 09:44 PM   #9327
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Yeah, but it’s voting distributions that matter. These polls that have say 2000 people surveyed in Alberta and try to predict an election outcome are really going to struggle. I’m not sure that 2000 Calgarians is a good sample to try to get to seat counts.
I think with a 2000 person Calgary sample (assuming that polls actually give you a representative sample and not a biased sample) can give you good riding level info by applying the partisan lean of a riding relative to the total of Calgary. Reasonable sample sizes from individual ridings are better but the risk of a non-representative sample goes up as sample size goes down.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 09:45 PM   #9328
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Wait, what?

Did you just say that the media doesn’t attack Notley in the same post that you shared a tweet from a person who works in the media attacking Notley?
You don't understand, he's complaining about Legacy/MSM media not attacking Notley, not the real journalistic media like Bexte. You know.... despite saying MSM are worthless and no one listens to them... He has a hard time of letting go of them, or won't give up until every type of media has the same "articles" denouncing the "pure evils" of this country.
Old 04-28-2023, 09:59 PM   #9329
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I think we agree, though ironically in this case a 2000 person poll where all 2000 were in Calgary would actually give a pretty decent view of how this election is likely to turn out. Not because Calgary represents the province, but because Calgary is the battleground zone in an election where most of the districts won’t be that competitive (so we don’t really need polling data to predict how they will go).
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 10:14 PM   #9330
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
You don't understand, he's complaining about Legacy/MSM media not attacking Notley, not the real journalistic media like Bexte. You know.... despite saying MSM are worthless and no one listens to them... He has a hard time of letting go of them, or won't give up until every type of media has the same "articles" denouncing the "pure evils" of this country.
Why would he be concerned about the “fake media” not reporting it? Seems a little paradoxical, no?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 10:32 PM   #9331
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Why would he be concerned about the “fake media” not reporting it? Seems a little paradoxical, no?
Exactly
Old 04-29-2023, 12:50 AM   #9332
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ah yes, the fiscally responsible UCP, which I guess is just code for spending tons of money on anything but poor people according to Yoho. What an embarrassing line of thinking and poster.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2023, 04:57 AM   #9333
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Ah yes, the fiscally responsible UCP, which I guess is just code for spending tons of money on anything but poor people according to Yoho. What an embarrassing line of thinking and poster.
Charity starts at home. Once in a while the people that actually pay the taxes can benefit as well as the never ending hands out from ground zero.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 07:00 AM   #9334
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
I think we agree, though ironically in this case a 2000 person poll where all 2000 were in Calgary would actually give a pretty decent view of how this election is likely to turn out. Not because Calgary represents the province, but because Calgary is the battleground zone in an election where most of the districts won’t be that competitive (so we don’t really need polling data to predict how they will go).
I guess what I think is there is a lot of diversity across the city. So 2000 people gives the idea of a bunch of close races (I’m assuming), but near downtown those ridings are heavy NDP. In the suburbs it’s heavy UCP, and “in the middle” it probably is more of a toss-up. I don’t know how accurate you could predict say Calgary Glenmore based on a city-wide poll at this point?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 07:39 AM   #9335
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Charity starts at home. Once in a while the people that actually pay the taxes can benefit as well as the never ending hands out from ground zero.
LOL. Fiscal responsibility doesn't matter as long as it means the wealthy get a new toy.

Do you even listen to yourself?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 07:50 AM   #9336
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I love that ardent UCP supporters have latched on to Theo's "this election is for all of Canada". Just when you think they couldn't possibly be more out of touch with reality, they throw gems like this out.

Maybe they're just assuming the rest of the provinces will spend 4 years grifting the genius that is Danielle Smith? Or do they really believe that she is their saviour in the same way the Q'Anon folks view Donald Trump, where she'll just spend 4 years grifting these dummies?

My guess is it would probably be both and honestly can't think of any reasons that Alberta wouldn't be shell of its former self after a term of these morons.
indes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 08:30 AM   #9337
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Ordered my Orange lawn sign. To vote UCP is immoral.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 08:37 AM   #9338
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Danielle Smith is the soul of the country then what this country really needs is Shang Tsung.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 08:42 AM   #9339
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
If Danielle Smith is the soul of the country then what this country really needs is Shang Tsung.
I had to google that , is it a coincidence that his heart’s desire is named Sonya?
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 09:24 AM   #9340
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even Shang Tsung likely wouldn't taint his collection with that one.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote