Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 03:11 PM   #9321
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I thought Backlund was the Flames’ best skater in the playoffs. He is terribly inconsistent, but his high end is very high when he’s on. He’s also tasked to play a very difficult role on this team. Can’t be easy playing a shutdown role every night and constantly starting in the defensive zone. Regardless, the new coach has Mikael Backlund playing as this team’s #1 center. So it doesn’t really matter what we think of him, he’s Darryl’s new teacher’s pet and we’ll have to see how things continue to unfold.
I get that a lot of fans get emotionally attached to long term players but I don't and he's been consistently inconsistent his entire career. When I see an organization that's had little success for over a decade I start looking hard at guys that have been there the longest. Gio can say he won a Norris, was team captain and had a solid run of great play. Backlund like the team over his tenure has consistently oscillated between between good and bad, never good enough to be that 2nd line center of a cup contender and if fans truly want a culture change I can't think of a better place to start. He's much better in a 3rd line role but over $5 million for a 3rd line center is a luxury I'm not sure this team can afford when they are rotating pressbox players in and out of the top 6.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 03:12 PM   #9322
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd argue Backlund's no more inconsistent than your average player, but he plays such high-leverage situations that it magnifies any inconsistency. If you have an off game playing 15 minutes against MacKinnon, it's really easy to look really bad.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kovaz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 03:14 PM   #9323
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
I would like to offload Bennett for picks at the deadline (ideally a first).
The hype around his playoff performance is somewhat legitimate, but the deadline is the opportune time to sell someone with such a reputation. He is a forth liner presently so we won't miss much.
Keep him for the playoffs, if Bennett does his thing against any of the Canadian teams and the Flames win a round his value will probably be pretty high. Lots of media attention this year especially with the Canadian division.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:18 PM   #9324
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post
I'd argue Backlund's no more inconsistent than your average player, but he plays such high-leverage situations that it magnifies any inconsistency. If you have an off game playing 15 minutes against MacKinnon, it's really easy to look really bad.
Then I am not sure what player you have been watching. Backlund tends to be a below average player every year for the first two to three months. Actually borderline terrible at times. Then he seems to transform into Patrice Bergeron magically after that for the duration of the year.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:29 PM   #9325
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Blake Coleman and Barclay Goodrow returned firsts.
Now, lets be a little more accurate than what you're portraying here.

Barclay Goodrow was traded along with a third round pick to Tampa for a career minor leaguer Anthony Grego and a 1st round pick. That turned into the 31st pick (Ozzy Weisblatt - hahaha) and Tampa got back the 85th pick. So the trade wasn't straight up and I think a reasonable comparison for Bennett. We get a 1st and package a third with him.

Blake Coleman was actually a pretty good player to trade for, coming off of a 22 goal season and then having 21 goals in 57 games. Tampa liked him so much they threw them Nolan Foote and a 2020 or 2021 1st. I don't think that's a good comparison to use for Bennett.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:34 PM   #9326
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old 03-17-2021, 03:42 PM   #9327
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
I wonder if Darryl could get Laine to play to his potential...
Old 03-17-2021, 03:50 PM   #9328
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post

Patrik Laine’s progression has a player is starting to remind me more of Alexander Semin rather than Alexander Ovechkin. He has so much skill but also appears so lazy and frustrates coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 04:39 PM   #9329
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Patrik Laine’s progression has a player is starting to remind me more of Alexander Semin rather than Alexander Ovechkin. He has so much skill but also appears so lazy and frustrates coaches.

Wow...that is a shockingly accurate comparison. I hope for his sake and the game he slats it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 04:56 PM   #9330
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Now I want to find out if he fight's like Semin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 04:57 PM   #9331
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Give this man an elite playmaker, his value should be low. GME stonk investment.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:58 PM   #9332
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You are going to trigger someone into the Nystrom/Semin argument spiral.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:33 PM   #9333
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

He's just a special player, that needs to be soothed. Find me another game breaker that may be available. You won't find one.

Last edited by Sec214; 03-17-2021 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Magic
Old 03-17-2021, 05:44 PM   #9334
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I think that he has decided that if he does not want to play somewhere, then he wont. It might hurt his trade value, but If he gets to a destination he is happy with, then I'll bet he plays like he can.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:24 PM   #9335
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
If I am acquiring a RHS RW with term, they have to be a legit top line player for me to consider moving Dube or exposing him to the expansion draft.

Personally I would expose Dube before Backlund, as we other players similar to Dube in the system (Pelletier, Phillips, Pettersen, Zavgorodniy) but we don't have another Backlund in the system.

Really the only guys that I have heard in the rumour mill that I would target are Filip Forsberg and Viktor Arvidsson.

I would move Dube for either of those players, but I wouldn't for Rakell.
Dube has more potential than anyone you mentioned. Kid will be a fixture in our top 6 for years. Absolutely do not expose him over Backlund lol or trade him for mid aged soon to be ufa's. Just let him grow and reap the rewards

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2021, 06:33 PM   #9336
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
I think that he has decided that if he does not want to play somewhere, then he wont. It might hurt his trade value, but If he gets to a destination he is happy with, then I'll bet he plays like he can.
Is there any hockey market that does not have access to Fortnite? That is the only way you might get him to actually focus on training and hockey.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 06:51 PM   #9337
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Is there any hockey market that does not have access to Fortnite? That is the only way you might get him to actually focus on training and hockey.

This is complete garbage. Who cares if the guy logs massive hours on Fornite/gaming with his friends back in Finland. He can do whatever he wants when he's not at "Work". This is old school theorem, today's players are getting into the NHL/Elite hockey programs when most people are starting to grow facial hair whiskers.

Laine lives to put pucks in the net. Ovi when he was younger was the same way. We've never had a player with his caliber of shot, game breaking ability since maybe Iginla but that's a different generation of hockey.

When Iginla came down his strong side, everyone in the dome and at home knew that it could result in a scoring chance.

Laine brings the same threat. He single handedly beat us early in the season with his game breaking ability.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:57 PM   #9338
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Max Domi just removed CBJ from his Instagram. Is he on his way out of Columbus? He did the same thing with MTL and got traded 2 days later.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:18 PM   #9339
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rrent98 View Post
Max Domi just removed CBJ from his Instagram. Is he on his way out of Columbus? He did the same thing with MTL and got traded 2 days later.

lol. The passive aggressive moves of these young guys. Why not just wait until the deal then do it? So childish.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 07:23 PM   #9340
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple guys I'd like to see on the Flames next season, if the price is right:

Jake DeBrusk for the third line, and possibly a 2nd liner if he plays more consistent. The guy was really an up and comer for the longest time, and if given opportunity again, I have no doubt he could be a 2nd liner soon. At about $3.5M /season, I'd think he'd be worth it.

Jamie Oleksiak for the second pairing. The guy is a modern day Regehr with slightly better mobility. Kinda a lost player in today's league, but still valuable.
Closed Thread