Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 07:08 PM   #9221
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can Seattle trade a player the same year they drafted them? Draft Backlund for example then trade him at the deadline for picks or youth?
Old 03-16-2021, 07:17 PM   #9222
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Severe under rating of Backlund. He makes less than Lucic, and he’s the most complete player on the team. There’s no way Seattle is getting four centres better than him - they’ll be lucky if they get two.

Losing Mangiapane or Dube would sting.

Losing Backlund would actively make us worse.
While I agree with your comments on Backlund... Mangiapane is arguably the best defensive winger and goal scorer on the team. Losing him would actively make us worse too.

Even without Tkachuk, the Backlund-Mangiapane line is looking mighty important.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 03-16-2021, 07:48 PM   #9223
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
While I agree with your comments on Backlund... Mangiapane is arguably the best defensive winger and goal scorer on the team. Losing him would actively make us worse too.

Even without Tkachuk, the Backlund-Mangiapane line is looking mighty important.
Without Tkachuck, they would look much better. Young Matthew has not been anywhere close to good enough for the salary he is getting paid.
The Following User Says Thank You to wired For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2021, 07:54 PM   #9224
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund is like Giordano to me. I hope he plays his entire career as a Flame.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2021, 08:07 PM   #9225
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Trade for Rakell now. Trade Johnny before expansion draft then sign a good ufa in off season to replace Johnny

You should be able to get more for Johnny than you pay for rakell and he makes half as much. Tight cap could be good time sign a ufa
Old 03-16-2021, 08:16 PM   #9226
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
Trade for Rakell now. Trade Johnny before expansion draft then sign a good ufa in off season to replace Johnny

You should be able to get more for Johnny than you pay for rakell and he makes half as much. Tight cap could be good time sign a ufa
Yeah and Rakell’s a quarter the player
Old 03-16-2021, 08:20 PM   #9227
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Backlund is like Giordano to me. I hope he plays his entire career as a Flame.
No thanks to either. I could care less about a player playing his whole career as a flame . Iggy was as close to a player that I wanted to always be a flame and even then near the end I wanted him traded. I’d be quite happy if Seattle chose Gio and flames get $6.7million in cap space .
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2021, 08:24 PM   #9228
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
No thanks to either. I could care less about a player playing his whole career as a flame . Iggy was as close to a player that I wanted to always be a flame and even then near the end I wanted him traded. I’d be quite happy if Seattle chose Gio and flames get $6.7million in cap space .
Me too, and look at my name. OTOH, if he stays for his full contract, I’m not bitter about the overpay for the last 2 years.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:59 PM   #9229
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Yeah and Rakell’s a quarter the player
Sutter is playing Johnny less than 17 a game. I wouldn’t be surprised Johnny gets moved this off season whether we get rakell or not
Old 03-16-2021, 09:01 PM   #9230
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
The question is, how much less could you care?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2021, 09:05 PM   #9231
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
I would drive backs and dube to the airport for Rakell. They are not interested in backlund. May have to be zary, dube and a pic for starters. We would need to dump some salary. Bennett for pics.
you spelt Ovechkin wrong
Old 03-16-2021, 09:24 PM   #9232
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Severe under rating of Backlund. He makes less than Lucic, and he’s the most complete player on the team. There’s no way Seattle is getting four centres better than him - they’ll be lucky if they get two.

Losing Mangiapane or Dube would sting.

Losing Backlund would actively make us worse.
I wasn't underrating Backlund at all, pretty sure I made that clear in my post.

Given the options, I expose him over Magniapane and Dube all day every day, they are more valuable to the team especially in a flat cap environment.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:26 PM   #9233
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
This thread is a who’s who of people I am glad are not the GM
I approve your new avatar. Makes me hate you less
Old 03-16-2021, 09:49 PM   #9234
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
Sutter is playing Johnny less than 17 a game. I wouldn’t be surprised Johnny gets moved this off season whether we get rakell or not
3 games against 2 different teams. Quite the reach.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:52 PM   #9235
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that this team is showing some life, we can’t possibly go into another stretch run without adding to the forward group.

Brad your depth on D is good enough. It’s most certainly not the weakness that needs addressing.

This team needs an impact forward badly. Preferably someone with wheels and a bit of sandpaper. As much as more scoring would be nice, I’ll take a 200 foot game over finishing ability.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:56 PM   #9236
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rolling 4 lines is what Sutter wants to do, so you would expect Gaudreau's minutes to go down a bit and reflect that. I also think that the entire team is still adjusting to Sutter and how he wants them to play. Gaudreau is an exceptionally intelligent player, and he will find his role on the team and start contributing more again. I was actually worried that once his shooting percentage normalized, he would go on a bit of a famine run, and it looks a bit like that it is happening at the moment. Just a matter of time before he starts feasting again within this environment - he is exceptional at making high-end plays in close quarters, and I bet he starts producing well again soon.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:03 PM   #9237
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Possible injury to a big potential rental player.

In a year that couldn’t possibly get any worse for Taylor Hall or the Buffalo Sabres on the ice, Taylor Hall just took a slap shot to the face. Hopefully he’s okay, but with Eichel already out...eek.

Some scary stuff considering that 19 year old who took the slapper to the head in Russia this week has died.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:20 PM   #9238
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rickard Rakell is a good player, and I would applaud if we aquired him, but I wouldn't want to give up Dube, Mangiapane, or Zary to get him. I think this is a player that's been heavily overrated in these parts. He's about to turn 28 in May, and it seems like he's on the decline a bit, which could be the team he's playing for. Skates well, has good defensive awareness, but he's average sized, and not gritty or physical at all. Dube is only 22, Mang is 24, and both players play with sandpaper, and both (moreso Mangiapane) display a good defensive game. Both our guys are Sutter-types with more of their careers ahead of them, and both will help us more in the playoffs than Rakell, I would bet.

Just my opinion, don't light me up.

EDIT:I would like to see us get bigger, tougher, and more physical if anything-and if possible, stay young. I know, the whole having cake and eating it thing....

Last edited by Sandman; 03-16-2021 at 10:24 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2021, 10:29 PM   #9239
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

I still think we should sell now...
Old 03-16-2021, 11:16 PM   #9240
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Rickard Rakell is a good player, and I would applaud if we aquired him, but I wouldn't want to give up Dube, Mangiapane, or Zary to get him. I think this is a player that's been heavily overrated in these parts. He's about to turn 28 in May, and it seems like he's on the decline a bit, which could be the team he's playing for. Skates well, has good defensive awareness, but he's average sized, and not gritty or physical at all. Dube is only 22, Mang is 24, and both players play with sandpaper, and both (moreso Mangiapane) display a good defensive game. Both our guys are Sutter-types with more of their careers ahead of them, and both will help us more in the playoffs than Rakell, I would bet.

Just my opinion, don't light me up.
Since the team currently lacks right handed shooting guys who are real top 6 players I do think there is a tendency to over value those players partially due to the teams lack of that piece.

I do agree that you want to tread carefully here as 28 for a forward isn't finished, but it's a very solid bet that his best hockey has been played. Reminds me of Hamonic in that there is this idea that a higher price should be paid for a guy because he's thought to have a value contract.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread