Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #901
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
With that USB Type C connector, is it possible to both charge it and use a USB flash drive at the same time?
Sure, if you buy the $80 dongle.

The good news is that USB Type C is "open", so there will be cheaper/better accessories for it. But yeah out of box you can't charge & use a usb stick, or a monitor, at the same time.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2015, 06:49 AM   #902
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Think some folks may want to read up on Broadwell Core M CPUs...
Why don't you tell us what you are hoping we will conclude after learning about said "Broadwell Core M CPUs" to save us some time?
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:29 AM   #903
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly I can't think of a single problem the Apple Watch solves for the end user, besides "keep your phone in your pocket more"... which might very well be the "killer app" that we're not seeing yet.

It's also stupidly overpriced... but so was the first iPod. I predict Apple will sell millions of them.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #904
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
$10,000 for a watch that within a year will be outdated? Damn I applaud Apple's audacity, but I guess it's not that audacious when they know there's people who will gladly part with $10,000 for it.
Well they did just break the record for most profitable quarter in history so it's hard to question what they are doing these days.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:58 PM   #905
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Sure, if you buy the $80 dongle.

The good news is that USB Type C is "open", so there will be cheaper/better accessories for it. But yeah out of box you can't charge & use a usb stick, or a monitor, at the same time.
This comment is the 2015 version of what the complaints were about the first Air in 2008.

The entire world waits for Apple to progress mainstream tech so that it becomes adopted, and when they do it's met with the same criticisms each time.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:02 PM   #906
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ripoff of the Samsung watch which was a dud. Seriously I wouldn't buy that piece of crap if I had a couple million to spend.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #907
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So my employer has decided to institute a new policy where I get a $1000 technology allowance this year. The catch is, it's supposed to be something to help me work remotely.

My initial thought was I might spend it on a Macbook Air, but it occurs to me that my iPad (4g) has a keyboard case and fulfils more or less the same functionality.

So I'm thinking maybe a full on Macbook would be best. I see they're releasing a new edition soon. So my general question is, given that I'm probably not going to be doing anything particularly strenous with it and given the available information,

1. Should I pick up one of these new macbooks? Is there a significant difference from the current generation to the new generation?
2. On the flip side, should I wait until these new ones come out and buy one of the current generation (which I assume will go on sale shortly thereafter)?

Kind of leaning towards 2, but I don't know much about Apple anymore. If there's another way to get something comparable for a price more closely approximating $1000, I'm interested in hearing about it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 03-11-2015 at 02:03 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:38 PM   #908
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
1. Should I pick up one of these new macbooks? Is there a significant difference from the current generation to the new generation?
Yes, if you don't mind the single charge/USB port. For me, 256GB is the minimum HD size I can handle, and the brand new ones are the cheapest way to get that in a Mac (aside from the MacBook Air which has the old low-res screen).

You'll get better performance from a MacBook Pro (which is also very thin), and way more ports, but they cost more too.

Quote:
2. On the flip side, should I wait until these new ones come out and buy one of the current generation (which I assume will go on sale shortly thereafter)?
It's a new product line, so no, nothing is going on sale. The current generation is being updated at the same time (but it's not much a difference).

If cost is an issue, there will be a bunch of perfectly good used MacBook Pros on the market as soon as the MacBooks are released, or you can look for refurbs on the Apple website.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #909
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If there's another way to get something comparable for a price more closely approximating $1000...
Apple geniuses don't get out of bed for $1000.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:11 AM   #910
Property Manager DB
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Any used ipads out there for sale? Looking to get one for my sister.

Thanks,
Old 03-12-2015, 09:19 PM   #911
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Property Manager DB View Post
Any used ipads out there for sale? Looking to get one for my sister.

Thanks,
Try a "Looking For" post here: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Old 03-14-2015, 01:27 PM   #912
110%
Farm Team Player

Exp:

What's with the new Macbook? Apple has already given up on Thunderbolt. I feel sorry for everyone that bought one of those $2000.00 thunderbolt displays that now cant connect to your $1500.00 new laptop. I guess at least you could use it as a $2000.00 usb hub?? wtf...
110% is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:56 PM   #913
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

For some reason, whenever I hit the 'play/pause' button (F8) on my Macbook Pro, iTunes launches. Any idea how this happened and how to disable this?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #914
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
For some reason, whenever I hit the 'play/pause' button (F8) on my Macbook Pro, iTunes launches. Any idea how this happened and how to disable this?
To disable this, go to System Preferences-Keyboard-keyboard. click on "use all F1, F2 as standard..."

You can also program shortcuts in keyboard shortcuts
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:31 AM   #915
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
To disable this, go to System Preferences-Keyboard-keyboard. click on "use all F1, F2 as standard..."

You can also program shortcuts in keyboard shortcuts
I don't want to disable my REW, PLAY, FFW, Volume, etc buttons, I just want to figure out why PLAY is opening up iTunes all of a sudden and why I can't use it to control other media anymore..
Old 03-20-2015, 09:37 AM   #916
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't want to disable my REW, PLAY, FFW, Volume, etc buttons, I just want to figure out why PLAY is opening up iTunes all of a sudden and why I can't use it to control other media anymore..
I believe you can still do this by holding down fn key and then pressing the function key you want. Otherwise, I think you need to unselect "use all F1, F2 as standard..."
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:36 PM   #917
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

So yesterday I'm able to use my keyboard's media buttons fine with no issues, now today I need to modify my keyboard and use the FN button to enable them? Did Apple push out an update or something?? Anyone else run into something similar on their devices?
Old 03-21-2015, 10:17 AM   #918
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Picked up the new 13" MacBook Pro Retina yesterday. Beautiful computer with the Retina display is amazing. Haven't really had a chance to play with and figure out the new Trackpad, but so far this computer has me smiling ear to ear.

With the base model of the 13" MBP the same as the new MacBook, I have no idea why anyone would go with the less powerful (but lighter!) model.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #919
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So yesterday I'm able to use my keyboard's media buttons fine with no issues, now today I need to modify my keyboard and use the FN button to enable them? Did Apple push out an update or something?? Anyone else run into something similar on their devices?
Likely has to do with which app is most recently used, which other apps are you trying with? Contact their support and ask how to enable the feature.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:03 AM   #920
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So my employer has decided to institute a new policy where I get a $1000 technology allowance this year. The catch is, it's supposed to be something to help me work remotely.

My initial thought was I might spend it on a Macbook Air, but it occurs to me that my iPad (4g) has a keyboard case and fulfils more or less the same functionality.

So I'm thinking maybe a full on Macbook would be best. I see they're releasing a new edition soon. So my general question is, given that I'm probably not going to be doing anything particularly strenous with it and given the available information,

Kind of leaning towards 2, but I don't know much about Apple anymore. If there's another way to get something comparable for a price more closely approximating $1000, I'm interested in hearing about it.
1. It depends on what you want to do with it. The MacBook has a 1.1-1.2 GHZ Intel M processor. What Apple hasn't told you is that that's a tablet processor. From a hardware perspective, you're getting a better machine with almost any of the Macbook airs. The 8GB of ram is nice however.

2. If I'm a betting man, I'd guess that the new Macbook will be replacing the Air, as they both serve the exact same function: an entry level/word processing computer.

At this point, the new Macbook is a really pretty, shiny piece of equipment, but the specs aren't better at all then almost any other computer Apple offers for a lower price.