Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2023, 03:50 PM   #901
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just dont see anyway that the loss of contact wasn't the point when the thing imploded, it's like a plane with engine issues, the first thing they do is send a message saying 'we have a problem' in the case of the sub if he was desperately jettisoning ballast he would have radioed it in, it also isn't really in line with how things implode, that isn't a slow process, implosions are by their nature a process where everything is fine....and then your dead
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 03:54 PM   #902
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I just dont see anyway that the loss of contact wasn't the point when the thing imploded, it's like a plane with engine issues, the first thing they do is send a message saying 'we have a problem' in the case of the sub if he was desperately jettisoning ballast he would have radioed it in, it also isn't really in line with how things implode, that isn't a slow process, implosions are by their nature a process where everything is fine....and then your dead
Contact is done by acoustic modem which is intermittent depending on water conditions like density changes, and has been reported to have been lost multiple times on prior trips so it's possible they lost contact prior to the implosion.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 03:58 PM   #903
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Contact is done by acoustic modem which is intermittent depending on water conditions like density changes, and has been reported to have been lost multiple times on prior trips so it's possible they lost contact prior to the implosion.
Losing communications sounds like the norm for them. I suspect this is why the mother ship didn't report anything to the authorities right away. They cheated death so much, they probably thought this was going to another cool story to tell.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 07-06-2023 at 04:32 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 04:24 PM   #904
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
fair enough, I still can't see anyway this wasn't sudden and unexpected
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 05:24 PM   #905
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh...these never get old.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2023, 05:48 PM   #906
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
fair enough, I still can't see anyway this wasn't sudden and unexpected
I think you are comparing this failure to a vaccuum collapse of a tank, rail car or pop can caused by condensing Vapours. In that scenario you rapidly go from 15psia to 0psia and rapidly cross the 1PSI or so vaccuum rating of these things and the metal yields and fails relatively instantly.

In this scenario to have a composite material so you likely have delamonations which are week points that start to crack and arrest themselves at various pressures as decent is occuring. You are also only gaining about 200 kpa of pressure a minute on something designed to 35000 kpag.

You also have the strain gauges on the inner hull which as the hull becomes compromised would show increased strain.

So in general I don’t think collapse is instant, also given the reporting they had dropped ballast and were ascending when the failure occurred so they knew they were in trouble.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 06:15 PM   #907
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think you are comparing this failure to a vaccuum collapse of a tank, rail car or pop can caused by condensing Vapours. In that scenario you rapidly go from 15psia to 0psia and rapidly cross the 1PSI or so vaccuum rating of these things and the metal yields and fails relatively instantly.

In this scenario to have a composite material so you likely have delamonations which are week points that start to crack and arrest themselves at various pressures as decent is occuring. You are also only gaining about 200 kpa of pressure a minute on something designed to 35000 kpag.

You also have the strain gauges on the inner hull which as the hull becomes compromised would show increased strain.

So in general I don’t think collapse is instant, also given the reporting they had dropped ballast and were ascending when the failure occurred so they knew they were in trouble.
Yeah, there is no reason to think they didn't have time to realize things were going wrong. Unless the carbon fiber hull used just the bare minimum number of carbon fiber bands where if just one broke or delaminated, then there would be an instantaneous implosion. From experts that were interviewed by various news outlets, it seems likely that there would have been tapping, cracking, and popping sounds as stands broke until it reached a critical point and finally imploded instantly. The amount of time that it would have taken to reach that point is debatable and conjecture, but it may have been several minutes.

As the hull became thinner, they may have even experienced visual signs such of warping of the sides, which could have also affected other electrical and mechanical parts of the sub, including the ability to lean the sub and drop the ballasts. As the hull continued to delaminate, water would fill in the pore space and the sub would become heavier as well. The outer part of the delaminated hull would have acted like sponge.

The leaked transcript could very well be fake, but the scenario they present seems plausible based on what some experts have stated. The biggest reason to think it's fake IMO, is that some people said the short form writing system that the would use would not look like the words in the transcript. I haven't seen previous mission transcripts to compare though.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 07-06-2023 at 06:18 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 12:35 PM   #908
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2023, 01:03 PM   #909
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting take on the Legal implications.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-16-2023, 03:29 PM   #910
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to STeeLy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2023, 03:34 PM   #911
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2023, 03:47 PM   #912
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeLy View Post
Again and again...an average layman, not a marine engineer, can just spot problem after problem with this thing from miles away.

For me, its just...its not 'funny' per se. But as someone who was big into cars in the early 2000s, I know a little (certainly not a lot) but a little bit about Carbon Fiber as it was all the rage for a while, and I've learned a little bit more since then.

The second I started reading about this event the first thing that crossed my mind was: "A Carbon Fiber Hull? That sounds like a terrible idea."

Narrator: "It was."

Old 07-16-2023, 05:38 PM   #913
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Relevant Cunk on Earth. Titanic="Single Use Submarine".

Last edited by FlameOn; 07-16-2023 at 05:46 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2023, 05:44 PM   #914
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I love her.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2023, 01:39 AM   #915
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 07:57 AM   #916
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post

I refuse to watch a video that features a shocked or agitated person in its key frame.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 12:06 PM   #917
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

^^^^

God, I hate that trend on social media.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 12:46 PM   #918
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
^^^^

God, I hate that trend on social media.
Linus did a video on this trend years ago, and the only reason they do it is because it works. More people will click on your video if it has a shocked face in the thumbnail, resulting in more views and more money. So if Youtube is your job, why would you leave that money on the table by not doing the same?

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2023, 10:31 PM   #919
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Logitech controller is on sale for your personally made submarines.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...00117/10157844
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote