Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #901
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Under the reserve, or the wetland, or wherever it was that the city was thinking about so we don't get continually stalled in negotiations with the
Indian band.

I'll admit I haven't looked at the economics, but there has to a be reason countries like Australia have toll roads all over the place. The municipalities bid the construction out to a company that builds the toll road, then collects the fees for (x) years after it's finished. At that point the government takes over their operation. It's been a while since I checked, but I think it's something like $5 each way per car.
Under the reserve is not possible. That is, you would have to have the same negotiations as for a surface road.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #902
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure it's not this simple, but if I were the Tsuu Tina, I'd build my own road with a huge shopping/entertainment area right in the middle and set up toll booths on it (if you spent enough money in the shopping area, you'd get to bypass the tolls), then offer the city/province to connect their ring road to it.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #903
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I'm sure it's not this simple, but if I were the Tsuu Tina, I'd build my own road with a huge shopping/entertainment area right in the middle and set up toll booths on it (if you spent enough money in the shopping area, you'd get to bypass the tolls), then offer the city/province to connect their ring road to it.
The previous deal was essentially that, except the province offering to build the road and offering up all the toll money up front.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #904
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Under the reserve is not possible. That is, you would have to have the same negotiations as for a surface road.
Suspension bridge over the reserve! They don't own the airspace!
Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
If I was the city, I'd then find another way to route the highway and not provide access to their stupid road. Tolls on a high speed urban freeway, forget it.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #905
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
If I was the city, I'd then find another way to route the highway
Any other route that doesn't involve the reserve involves buying up copious amounts of houses to provide a roadway of a significantly lower standard.
The Following User Says Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #906
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

or even worse, routing it so that nobody will use it because it is too far out of town. anyways, its the province that needs to figure it out with the reserve.
to me there are 4 basic options:
1) convince the reserve to allow us to build the highway through thier land
2) tunnel the highway or make a massive bridge to get past the weaselhead (likely twice the cost of what is being offered to the reserve, have to deal with environmental and safety regulations, dangerous goods route over the wetlands?)
3)expropriate houses and build in conjunction with existing roadways (more congestion on glenmore/14st/anderson)
4) build the highway out around the west side of the reserve (useless waste of money)

so the reserve is key, otherwise I think tunneling under some of lakeview and then building a massive bridge might be the way to go...but I don't want to pay for it
Old 06-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #907
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Any other route that doesn't involve the reserve involves buying up copious amounts of houses to provide a roadway of a significantly lower standard.
This is what it all boils down to. Sure, they could route the road along Glenmore and 37th (along the city limits), but it would require a tighter than ideal turning radius to round that corner, speed limit reductions, and still a large number of expropriations. This is whether you go above ground or underground. So we'd get a crap road, have a major effect on Lakeview and the Weaselhead, and it would cost more.

The last offer was rejected due to some items that needed clarification (the wording of the land swap left a grey area that left the possibility that it might never happen, if I remember correctly). Why would they sign onto something that couldn't even be guaranteed?

I want to see the ring road completed as much as the next guy, but the fact of the matter is, the city and province have backed themselves into a corner quite literally by building right up to the reserve limits. All of the alternative options would give us a much lesser road at a higher cost. Maybe I'm an optimist, but I think that a deal is closer now than ever and the main sticking points require clarification and guaranteeing and not a complete renegotiation. To build an ineffective road at an astronomical cost simply to spite them, even though they don't even have to consider negotiating with the city/province in the first place if they don't want to, would be a huge mistake.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #908
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Is the toll supposed to help pay for the increased cost? I think it's safe to say that a tunneled option would cost ~$1.5 billion MORE than the original option.

If we think that the toll is just supposed to pay the extra $1.5 billion:
30,000 vehicles per day x $2 per trip = $60,000 per day.

Collecting $60,000 per day, it would take 68.5 years to raise $1.5 billion, and that doesn't include and discussion of interest paid on the original amount.
Well, that's not quite how the economics work, but yeah there are definitely challenges. I'm just tired of the continual bickering between Tsu T'ina and council, and I think it's time to move on. The longer we wait the more expensive it gets to build a bridge, tunnel, ferry, hovercraft WHATEVER. How long does it have to go on before someone finally says fata this, I'm doing it another way.

The closest model I can find that is recent is the Brisbane airport tunnel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airport_Link,_Brisbane try to ignore the way that it was financed. I'm sure our esteemed council could figure out a way to do it more effectively.....
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #909
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i have no officially researched this, but I would guess another two years - but that being said, they are working at extending Stoney trail from it current starting point at 17th ave Se all the way to 22x - it seems they are doing a lot of grading of the raods and building overpasses and given the remote location it is hard to tell how far along they currently are. i'd sure like to see some kind of stat on how much dirt they moved once this major project is done.

from glenmore/stoney to glenmore/HW8 will still be a fair drive - given that stoney trail and glenmore is not far from glenmore and 84th.
I'm almost positive it's not happening in 2 years. They're not even looking at widening Glenmore between 101st and Sarcee until the ring road is figured out.
yads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #910
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
To build an ineffective road at an astronomical cost simply to spite them, even though they don't even have to consider negotiating with the city/province in the first place if they don't want to, would be a huge mistake.
Ooh, but think how easy that would make negotiations for the outer ring road! They'd know we mean business.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #911
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
There'll absolutely no chance that a cut and cover tunnel would cost anywhere close to $550 million. The construction cost for the Airport Trail tunnel is $220 million. The tunnel you are proposing would need to be significantly wider, nearly 10 times as long, significantly more complicated to build, and would still require buying out dozens of homes. I can guarantee that it would cost more than the $1.5 billion price tag of the other proposal.
I don't know where you got your information that cut and cover will be over 1.5 billion. Do you have a source or are you eyeballing it?

The price quoted is in fact 550 million for cut and cover. I know there are people that prefer the reserve route for a variety of reaons, but the cut and cover method is quoted to be cheaper, a third of the cost.

The airport tunnel is expensive because it has planes driving on it. The ring road would have a park over most of it.

They will go over budget no matter what plan they choose. So might as well go with the cheaper one.

Page 4 for plan c.

http://www.calgaryarea.com/sw/chinoo...20Plan%20C.pdf

Last edited by stampsx2; 06-25-2012 at 07:31 PM.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #912
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
This again is not true. There are five routes planned and only one of those proposes knocking down houses.

On page 11

http://www.calgaryarea.com/sw/chinoo...20Plan%20C.pdf

It's enough to just say you support the reserve deal.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #913
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

^ LOL so where are the transmission lines supposed to go?
Old 06-26-2012, 12:51 AM   #914
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Stampsx2, you do realize that the ring road has to go west from the intersection of Glenmore/37th. The ROW south of Glamorgan is just as narrow as the one beside lakeview. You have to be able to make the corner at a reasonable speed, but in order to do that houses would have to be taken out in both Lakeview and Glamorgan. The total length of cut and cover would be ~5km, about 8 times as long as the airport Trail tunnel. Unlike the airport Trail tunnel, all of it would be in a narrow right of way, or in an environmental area. Either one of those makes the excavation and hauling much more complicated. Sure, the tunnel walls and roof would not need to be so beefy, but you would certainly have more complicated forming, horizontal and vertical curves, exit ramps, perhaps whole underground interchanges.

Frankly, whomever made up that presentation had no idea what they were talking about. It looks like a citizens group made it, not the government, or anyone else that would actually have a clue about the costs.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2012, 01:26 AM   #915
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

That presentation is awesome. Poof!! The transmission lines disappear!

The branding on the presentation is pretty impressive as well. I googled the two company names trying to understand the credentials. Didn't work so well.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #916
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
^ LOL so where are the transmission lines supposed to go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
That presentation is awesome. Poof!! The transmission lines disappear!

The branding on the presentation is pretty impressive as well. I googled the two company names trying to understand the credentials. Didn't work so well.
I think you see them again on page 14, on the upper right on the tunnel cross-section.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #917
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I Think the cost of $550 million might actually be right for what they are proposing. However, building arterial street along 37th and then just dumping the traffic onto existing roads does not help anything, and would be ineffective as a ring road.

Essentially, that presentation is comparing apples to oranges.
The Following User Says Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #918
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Typed this post after only looking at the plan on my iPhone. I notice now that they have a whole bunch of access ramps and an extra leg heading east towards Crowchild. $550M for that is actually hilarious.

Their cut and cover is going to get pretty deep, too going down those embankments.

It also completely ignores Glenmore/HWY 8 from 37th Street to around 101 st, which was included in the $1.5B cost for the 2009 Proposal. The original proposal also includes the following interchanges that wouldn't be included in this "$550M" proposal:

22x
162nd Ave
Fish Creek Blvd
130th Ave
Anderson Rd
Full connection to 90th and Southland Drive
Old Strathcona Road
Sarcee Trail (this one was pretty complicated)
Westhills Way
Glenmore/37th St full interchange with flyover ramp
69th Street
Hwy 8

Also, the proposal with the reserve includes a utility ROW across the reserve North to South, mostly separate from the roadway.

For the small section that this "$550M" was addressing, it's significantly MORE expensive than the original proposal.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #919
Mike Vernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wait a second, the city still doesn't have a plan for this ring road?? I thought they were almost finished the SE section? Does anyone have a current plan for what they have and what they are missing?
Mike Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #920
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vernon View Post
Wait a second, the city still doesn't have a plan for this ring road?? I thought they were almost finished the SE section? Does anyone have a current plan for what they have and what they are missing?
What will eventually be built is what was proposed to the reserve in 2009. (Plans are near the end) The province had open houses to look into options that didn't involve reserve land last year, but this is now posted on the Alberta Transportation website regarding that study:

Quote:
This planning study has now been put on hold. Further public consultation related to the planning study is also on hold.

For now, government will focus on discussions with the Tsuu T’ina Nation regarding the 2009 agreement. We continue to work in good faith toward an agreement.
There simply isn't any option that doesn't involve the reserve that anyone is willing to do. It's simply better to wait.