Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2022, 04:19 PM   #9141
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
Not arguing for or against this response, but wouldn't a direct attack on Russian soil inevitably lead to escalation and ultimately NATO involvement?
Depends on what we're talking about here. It could go anywhere from a retaliation against a target in Ukraine with conventional weapons. Right up to the Apocalypse.

I mean its not as if the Russian's aren't doing indiscriminate attacks against the civilian populations.

At this point, beyond sending weapons, NATO isn't going to do anything else. They're not going to send troops in, they're not going to send in volunteer planes and pilots.

They're pretty content with feeding the meat grinder with fresh equipment to see if they can break Putin's will.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2022, 04:26 PM   #9142
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed Cap'n.

So NATO takes the leash off some of the weapons types it as of yet hasn't sent in response.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 04:29 PM   #9143
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll LOL if WWIII starts in Poland.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2022, 04:36 PM   #9144
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I'll LOL if WWIII starts in Poland.
Seriously? Don’t even joke about that.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 05:20 PM   #9145
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a Poland response on Russian held positions in the Ukraine proper / recently annexed territory would be reasonable compromise to indicate this won’t be tolerated but also an attempt to not escalate..

A large air incursion targeting locations that will help Ukraine going forward but not attacking Russia directly.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 05:20 PM   #9146
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

An avalanche can begin with a snowflake. Alls I know is, some Russian folk better pucker up and start kissing some behind or they're gonna get a firm how do you do from Nato.
Old 11-15-2022, 05:49 PM   #9147
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1592528628931506179
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2022, 06:05 PM   #9148
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think a Poland response on Russian held positions in the Ukraine proper / recently annexed territory would be reasonable compromise to indicate this won’t be tolerated but also an attempt to not escalate..

A large air incursion targeting locations that will help Ukraine going forward but not attacking Russia directly.
Were I in the room and, obviously, I should be, this would be the type of response I'd advocate for from the Poles.

Also, I'd likely advocate pointing the strike at infrastructure - like a staging location or ammunition stockpile - and provide enough warning that the Russians can remove people. It's a response, but clearly not an escalation.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 06:09 PM   #9149
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loved Zelensky's cheekiness today of addressing the "G19". And Lavrov's audacity of accusing Ukraine of prolonging the war by fighting back. Like how dare they!
Old 11-15-2022, 06:30 PM   #9150
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
But what is an appropriate response?

Knowing that Poland lobbing round into Kaliningrad or Belarus could light a monster mother####ing fire.

The response needs to be measured and well thought out.
Increase of NATO reaction forces in Baltics, along the Polish-Russian and Polish Belarussian borders, possible training exercises in the areas to aggravate Russian forces more, and increase in the types of arms provided to Ukraine like ATACMS/fighter jets.

Russia has been pulling forces off NATO borders for troops to fight in Ukraine and there are minimal Russian troops along the Baltics and Poland atm. Despite what Russian internal propaganda claims, Russian leadership knows NATO is not an offensive threat. Substantially increase NATO forces in the area would change that perception and fix Russian force positions and deprive Russia using those forces in Ukraine to attack more civilians.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2022, 07:44 PM   #9151
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
It's also possible it was an air defense missile. The debris does bear some resemblance to an S-300:

Though Russia has used those for ground attacks as well. So even if it was an S-300, that doesn't mean it wasn't them (though it would have had to come from Belarus to reach Poland). And either way, when you're lobbing missiles within kilometers of a NATO nation, you're responsible for whatever happens.
This looks more plausible with Biden saying it was "unlikely" that the missile originated from Russia:

Quote:
President Joe Biden said Wednesday it was “unlikely” that a missile that killed two in NATO-ally Poland was fired from Russia, but he pledged support for Poland’s investigation into what it had called a “Russian-made” missile.

Biden spoke after he convened an “emergency” meeting of the Group of Seven and NATO leaders in Indonesia Wednesday morning for consultations on the attack that killed two people in the eastern part of Poland near the Ukraine border.

“There is preliminary information that contests that,” Biden told reporters when asked if the missile had been fired from Russia. “It is unlikely in the lines of the trajectory that it was fired from Russia, but we’ll see.”

It was not immediately clear whether Biden was suggesting that the missile hadn’t been fired by Russia at all. Ukraine still maintains stocks of former Soviet and Russian-made weaponry, including the S-300 air-defense missile system.
https://apnews.com/article/g-20-summ...092f5b3aec21c8

Though if that's correct, it doesn't necessarily rule out the possibility of it coming from Belarus.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2022, 07:53 PM   #9152
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
This looks more plausible with Biden saying it was "unlikely" that the missile originated from Russia:

https://apnews.com/article/g-20-summ...092f5b3aec21c8

Though if that's correct, it doesn't necessarily rule out the possibility of it coming from Belarus.
Or a false flag from a rogue Ukrainian general hoping to pull nato in
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 08:25 PM   #9153
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1592675626812854272

Article 4 being considered and likely to be invoked by Poland.

As for not wanting to escalate, Putin is lobbying hundreds of missiles with several going over NATO counties and just hit what seems to be a deliberate targetting of Polish - Ukraine power lines. Either it was deliberate, or their suspected target of a Ukrainian thermal plant 40km away shows gross incompetence. And they were so grossly incompetent they even did it twice.

Either case, Poland and NATO must act as NATO civilians on NATO soil were just killed as a result of a missile attack.

Its already escalated. This was not one missile but two missiles that hit NATO soil. This is not being taken lightly.

And Biden being deliberately vague about the missiles not coming from Russia is on purpose. The US knows exactly where it came from.

I think we could see a no fly zone over Belarus or some type of similar proxy action.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 08:32 PM   #9154
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffman View Post
Or a false flag from a rogue Ukrainian general hoping to pull nato in
Given how much surveillance is going on along that border, that seems about the least likely option. If it was a short-range missile, the only really plausible scenarios would be a missile from Belarus that didn't make it to Lviv, or perhaps an air defense missile protecting Lviv that malfunctioned.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:36 PM   #9155
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
What is the appropriate NATO response to this?

Destroy the Black Sea fleet? Destroy known missile sites in Russia proper?
Perhaps destroy every square inch of the Crimea bridge (road and rail)?
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 08:39 PM   #9156
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1592675626812854272

Article 4 being considered and likely to be invoked by Poland.

As for not wanting to escalate, Putin is lobbying hundreds of missiles with several going over NATO counties and just hit what seems to be a deliberate targetting of Polish - Ukraine power lines. Either it was deliberate, or their suspected target of a Ukrainian thermal plant 40km away shows gross incompetence. And they were so grossly incompetent they even did it twice.

Either case, Poland and NATO must act as NATO civilians on NATO soil were just killed as a result of a missile attack.

Its already escalated. This was not one missile but two missiles that hit NATO soil. This is not being taken lightly.

And Biden being deliberately vague about the missiles not coming from Russia is on purpose. The US knows exactly where it came from.

I think we could see a no fly zone over Belarus or some type of similar proxy action.

I think the Biden comments will calm it down? Unless of course there is absolute proof that the Russian fired on Poland with intention, but I don't think they are that interested in that kind of a challenge to NATO? It's one thing to say stuff and another to do stuff.
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:00 PM   #9157
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Article 4 isn't all that noteworthy on its own. It was already invoked by 8 countries (including Poland) in February, and Turkey has invoked it 4 times in the last decade. It just officially calls for consultation among NATO countries when the security of a nation is potentially under threat.
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2022, 09:03 PM   #9158
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yikes View Post
I think the Biden comments will calm it down? Unless of course there is absolute proof that the Russian fired on Poland with intention, but I don't think they are that interested in that kind of a challenge to NATO? It's one thing to say stuff and another to do stuff.
I think you have to react even if it appears accidental, if the missle was shot by Russia or a Proxy there needs to be some action. Actions need to have natural consequences otherwise more accidents will continue to happen.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:45 PM   #9159
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think you have to react even if it appears accidental, if the missle was shot by Russia or a Proxy there needs to be some action. Actions need to have natural consequences otherwise more accidents will continue to happen.
I don't know, over 200 NATO citizens were killed when MH17 was shot down by Russia/Russian-backed separatists and there was no military response from NATO.

I don't think it's anyone's interest for a NATO nation to respond militarily. If the missile did originate from Russian forces and they're unwilling to own up to it, then NATO should expand the types of weapons they're supplying Ukraine by giving them longer-range missiles and better air defenses. That helps Ukraine achieve their objectives without NATO directly engaging.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:52 PM   #9160
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know, over 200 NATO citizens were killed when MH17 was shot down by Russia/Russian-backed separatists and there was no military response from NATO.

I don't think it's anyone's interest for a NATO nation to respond militarily. If the missile did originate from Russian forces and they're unwilling to own up to it, then NATO should expand the types of weapons they're supplying Ukraine by giving them longer-range missiles and better air defenses. That helps Ukraine achieve their objectives without NATO directly engaging.
That is still a direct response to Russia actions and I think a reasonable one as well.

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks