Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2023, 03:30 PM   #9061
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
No it isn't. The essential element to a story is a plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
It's perfectly normal for gameplay to ruin a story. I remember Dino Crisis and Parasite Eve on the PSX had a story that intrigued me. But I could not further the story because of the fricken camera angles in some of those chase sections to the game. It's like a good joke being ruined by the delivery. Or someone telling a good story that gets interrupted/goes off track a dozen times until it's too damn confusing to follow.

100% agreed! Case in point for me was the first Uncharted. When I bought my PS3 it came with Uncharted 3 as a pack-in game, and I enjoyed it a lot, so I bought the first two games afterward.

I hated Uncharted; the gameplay suuuuuuuuucked as compared to the third game in the series, but the story itself was great! The mechanics, the level design and especially the absurdly durable enemies sent in wave after wave after wave sucked all the fun out of playing. It was a slog. I got so pissed off at it I put it back on the shelf and didn't pick it up again until a couple years later, prior to me buying a PS4 with Uncharted 4 as a pack-in game. I buckled down and powered through it and I've never touched it since. And then I played Uncharted 2 and was blown away by how much bigger the step-up in all respects that game was compared to the first. Uncharted aged horribly in a scant few years, and in retrospect seems like a very fun and engaging story with a proof-of-concept technical design wrapped around it.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2023, 03:38 PM   #9062
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
But... how do you even take on this comment?

It's like being surprised by a flasher. Your first instinct isn't to point and laugh, it's to turn and run.
Good analogy. I read it hours ago and just thought "what the ####," but I couldn't get the idea of someone buying a $2 slurpee, taking it home, splitting it and cutting it with water, and then re-freezing it out of my head.

Just... what the ####.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2023, 03:59 PM   #9063
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Good analogy. I read it hours ago and just thought "what the ####," but I couldn't get the idea of someone buying a $2 slurpee, taking it home, splitting it and cutting it with water, and then re-freezing it out of my head.

Just... what the ####.
In my head, my commentary imagining that was, "What are you doing???" but somehow it threw me off so bad to the point it turned to "Water you doing??" and I just couldn't proceed from that point on.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2023, 04:29 PM   #9064
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post

I hated Uncharted; the gameplay suuuuuuuuucked as compared to the third game in the series, but the story itself was great!.
Hmm, imagine that…
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 04:40 PM   #9065
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Hmm, imagine that…
Weren't you basically hinting at TLOU2? IMO story was good, gameplay was great, but delivery of that story was so brutal that I could see why some people hated it.

It'd be akin to trying to watch a movie at a movie theatre but a few people wouldn't stop talking and/or riffing the movie. Enjoyment level would indeed plummet.
Old 08-11-2023, 05:50 PM   #9066
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Hmm, imagine that…
What are you trying to say here? This isn't a dichotomy where either "games can be ruined by gameplay" or "games can be ruined by story", but both cannot be true. I happened to quote DoubleF's post and cite my own example of a game with a story I liked being ruined by what I subjectively though to be bad gameplay: that doesn't mean I still don't think your posit that "games can't be ruined by story, because stories are 'inessential' to the medium" is nonsense. In fact it's a perfect counterpoint: the only reason that game was worth playing is because of the story. The story 'makes' that game; it's ridiculous to me to believe that story cannot also 'break' a game.

DoubleF brought up TLOU2 as perhaps what you're hinting at about "people complaining about a story ruining a game". A selection of my own thoughts about it are as such:

Spoiler!

All of that said I think TLOU2 is, like Uncharted, a perfect counterpoint to the idea that "story is inessential to making video games": if not for the story I wouldn't have played it in the first place. It had great gameplay, there was nothing wrong with the gameplay, but the only reason to play the game—and the first The Last of Us—was the story. The story was the overarching, central reason to even pick it up. So, logically, if one didn't like the story, then it's perfectly reasonable for that to be the reason why they didn't like the game.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 06:43 PM   #9067
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
All I thought was screw the water. I used to cut my slurpee with rum
I always liked that in theory and used to do it, but man, you could never mix in the alcohol, it would go straight to the bottom and then you'd slurp straight rum. Unless I was doing something wrong.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 06:47 PM   #9068
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I always liked that in theory and used to do it, but man, you could never mix in the alcohol, it would go straight to the bottom and then you'd slurp straight rum. Unless I was doing something wrong.
I'd pour it on top and not mix it at all, then have the straw off the bottom a bit. Tends to be a few less booze shocks that way.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2023, 06:51 PM   #9069
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'd pour it on top and not mix it at all, then have the straw off the bottom a bit. Tends to be a few less booze shocks that way.

That’s what I did as well. Rum on top, then poke the straw through a couple times to get a bit to the bottom. Kind of like soaking a rum cake. Probably been 15 years since I’ve done it, but I’m really wanting one now.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2023, 07:03 PM   #9070
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post

100% agreed! Case in point for me was the first Uncharted. When I bought my PS3 it came with Uncharted 3 as a pack-in game, and I enjoyed it a lot, so I bought the first two games afterward.

I hated Uncharted; the gameplay suuuuuuuuucked as compared to the third game in the series, but the story itself was great! The mechanics, the level design and especially the absurdly durable enemies sent in wave after wave after wave sucked all the fun out of playing. It was a slog. I got so pissed off at it I put it back on the shelf and didn't pick it up again until a couple years later, prior to me buying a PS4 with Uncharted 4 as a pack-in game. I buckled down and powered through it and I've never touched it since. And then I played Uncharted 2 and was blown away by how much bigger the step-up in all respects that game was compared to the first. Uncharted aged horribly in a scant few years, and in retrospect seems like a very fun and engaging story with a proof-of-concept technical design wrapped around it.
I just finished all 4 of the UC games. 4 was my least favorite in terms of storyline - there was waaaay too much storyline. It always felt like they dragged out the yapping by 5 minutes too long. It dragged out the game play for me, and I didn't enjoy it as much.

I'm waiting for Uncharted: The Lost Legacy to arrive and I'm hoping it doesn't suck.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 07:50 PM   #9071
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe not a gear grinder, but going to a movie theatre is so overrated. First of all, for forum of us it was $58. Then for drinks/popcorn/candy it was $90. No wonder this industry is dying. First, they have no ideas for new movies (it seems), but who in their right mind is spending $150 to go sit in a theatre with a bunch of annoying people on a regular basis?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 08:29 PM   #9072
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Maybe not a gear grinder, but going to a movie theatre is so overrated. First of all, for forum of us it was $58. Then for drinks/popcorn/candy it was $90. No wonder this industry is dying. First, they have no ideas for new movies (it seems), but who in their right mind is spending $150 to go sit in a theatre with a bunch of annoying people on a regular basis?

That’s a pretty reasonable price for taking the forum to a movie.

Also, you can just get those Cineplex or Landmark passes from Costco. It’s like $30 for 2 adults, popcorn, and drinks.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2023, 08:34 PM   #9073
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks Slava, the movie was great. CP's turn to pay next time, we promise!
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2023, 08:53 PM   #9074
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And then, these days, if people aren't yapping through it, they have their damn phones out, because they can't go 5 minutes without checking it.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2023, 08:59 PM   #9075
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hate going to see a movie because I can't stand the experience but I also just don't appreciate it enjoy movies. The only time I would go was when Amex had their special premiers for some movies where it was a free experience and included free snacks but Covid killed that Amex benefit.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 09:47 PM   #9076
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the amount of you guys who bought OLED TVs, I'd be surprised if you ever enjoyed a movie theater experience ever again.
Old 08-11-2023, 09:54 PM   #9077
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I love my Coke Zero, about six cans a week. Best diet soft drink.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...325919#summary

Quote:
Research has linked a wide range of health risks to drinking diet soda. Despite it being a low or zero calorie beverage, it may still increase the risk of conditions such as diabetes and obesity.

Diet soda offers no health benefits other than functioning as a tool that people can use to wean themselves off regular soda.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2023, 07:33 AM   #9078
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
And then, these days, if people aren't yapping through it, they have their damn phones out, because they can't go 5 minutes without checking it.
This is legitimately what keeps me away from the movies now: ####heads. Mostly ####head teenagers. Obviously had to go to a theatre to see Avatar because that's the only way to watch those movies, but we on multiple occasions had to tell the half-dozen high school girls sitting two rows behind us that this wasn't their living room couch and to shut the #### up.

I guess I should go see Oppenheimer in 70mm as that's probably an older crowd and hopefully wouldn't suffer from the same problem, but it was just such a bad experience and leaves such a sour taste in your mouth.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2023, 07:53 AM   #9079
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I'm waiting for Uncharted: The Lost Legacy to arrive and I'm hoping it doesn't suck.
You’ll love Lost Legacy. Tightest of the Uncharted games in terms of gameplay.

Unless you don’t like Chloe. In which case you’ll hate it and should send it back.

(Respect for using physical media btw)
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 07:55 AM   #9080
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a theatre person either. The quickest way to ruin any good time for me is to have a bunch of random people around. If you're a big movie buff I totally get it, but for the 3 movies I watch a year I'd rather do it at home
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post: