Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2022, 03:56 PM   #9021
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan97 View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1591477593202692096

This one really got me on a number of levels. Beautiful stuff.
Wow. That WRECKED me. Beautiful moment.
Old 11-12-2022, 07:06 PM   #9022
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
i'd be pretty surprised if they brought their himars that close to the front. The big benefit of them is that they can largely be out of range for russian artillery, and where they're not they can move away before any return fire happens. But to hit any part of crimea they'd have to be basically right at the river which would be a huge gamble for little benefit.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1591557930067038208

They have already started.

It's also a massive benefit as Chaplynka is where Russia has most of their helicopters based out of for the Kherson front (well after eventually leaving the Chornobaivk airport and its 40+ attacks).

Ukraine had yet to lose a single HIMARS and they are highly mobile and able to be long gone before Russia can determine where the attack came from.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2022, 07:17 PM   #9023
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It’s a shame Ukraine can’t use the longer range ATACMS missiles and really put a dent in the Russian forces.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 07:18 PM   #9024
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Of particular interest along with these new HIMARS attacks is this new surprise offensive that just started. Ukraine wasn't about to sit on its laurels with Kherson won.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1591423718060064768

https://twitter.com/user/status/1591471247619411968

https://twitter.com/user/status/1591429867991597058

Russia started reinforcing this peninsula in recent weeks as a Grad MLRS launching platform. Taking this peninsula, as daring and bold as this amphibious attack may be, would cause Russia to be flanked in a place it was not expecting.

This is a tremendous and bold plan, and extremely rewarding if successful. The objective appears to be Crimea proper, and even if it's not, Russia has no choice but to start reinforcing this area again (which may reopen new surprise offensives such as the Kharkiv offensive that was possible a few months ago). It's a game of wack a mole.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2022, 07:32 PM   #9025
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like the military and the government are divided on ending the war in Ukraine. Milley and the military are the ones supporting talks with Russia while it appears the US government isn't. Disappointing to hear.

“When there’s an opportunity to negotiate, when peace can be achieved, seize it. Seize the moment,” Milley said.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/11/polit...ate/index.html

https://twitter.com/user/status/1591251395013115904
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:21 PM   #9026
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Of particular interest along with these new HIMARS attacks is this new surprise offensive that just started. Ukraine wasn't about to sit on its laurels with Kherson won.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1591423718060064768

https://twitter.com/user/status/1591471247619411968

https://twitter.com/user/status/1591429867991597058

Russia started reinforcing this peninsula in recent weeks as a Grad MLRS launching platform. Taking this peninsula, as daring and bold as this amphibious attack may be, would cause Russia to be flanked in a place it was not expecting.

This is a tremendous and bold plan, and extremely rewarding if successful. The objective appears to be Crimea proper, and even if it's not, Russia has no choice but to start reinforcing this area again (which may reopen new surprise offensives such as the Kharkiv offensive that was possible a few months ago). It's a game of wack a mole.
This is effin' brilliant, theres only one road onto the peninsula and it is visible all the way from Kherson, the Ukraines can wholly cut off the Russians were as they can happily resupply by boat, the terrain looks marshy and not much use to armour, this is next level strategy
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2022, 08:53 PM   #9027
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
They have already started.

It's also a massive benefit as Chaplynka is where Russia has most of their helicopters based out of for the Kherson front (well after eventually leaving the Chornobaivk airport and its 40+ attacks).

Ukraine had yet to lose a single HIMARS and they are highly mobile and able to be long gone before Russia can determine where the attack came from.
Chaplynka is only 50km from the Dnipro though, so they can hit it from 20km back of the river, which is relatively safe. That's a lot different than hitting Armiansk, which would require the units to launch from right at the river (and even then they might not make it).

They haven't lost any HIMARS yet because they've been extremely careful with them, staying well behind the front where they can't really be targeted given their mobility. If they're within sight of Russian forces, that's a whole different matter.

I'd be more interested to know how far they need to get to hit the Crimea -> Melitopol railway. That's basically the only functioning link from Crimea to Russia right now. I think they're still about 100km from it, but if they can get within striking range they could seriously hamper Russia's ability to supply Crimea and the whole southern front.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2022, 08:59 PM   #9028
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

my guess is the Russians that withdrew from Kherson and the left bank are massively under resourced and have lost most of their armour in the retreat, the Ukrainians are hoping they can just keep the pressure on so the whole front will collapse back into the Crimea
Old 11-12-2022, 10:09 PM   #9029
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Sounds like the military and the government are divided on ending the war in Ukraine. Milley and the military are the ones supporting talks with Russia while it appears the US government isn't. Disappointing to hear.

“When there’s an opportunity to negotiate, when peace can be achieved, seize it. Seize the moment,” Milley said.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/11/polit...ate/index.html

https://twitter.com/user/status/1591251395013115904
Military should NOT be dipping their toes onto diplomacy.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2022, 01:04 AM   #9030
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never thought that a guy like Putin would ever negotiate. Especially with the US, when they have a losing hand.

Not sure exactly what that group of military leaders see, considering all the other situations which the Russian military invaded
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 06:35 AM   #9031
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Military should NOT be dipping their toes onto diplomacy.
Agreed. Two separate missions. I think the Americans are playing this very smart. Give advanced weapon systems, training, and intelligence to the Ukrainians and let they thin out the Russian military to the point they won't be able to try another invasion of a sovereign nation again for the next 20-30 years, when they can rebuild their military machine. The Russians have lost so much armor and weapons they are really back to having a defensive force and now have to be concerned about being able to handle internal security concerns, like breakaway republics of heir own.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 08:36 AM   #9032
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1591732350966431744
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 08:42 AM   #9033
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Triple wrap what is important to you!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 12:27 PM   #9034
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Triple wrap what is important to you!
That's what I tell my boys but they never listen 'she swore she was on the pill!!!'
Old 11-13-2022, 03:17 PM   #9035
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Never thought that a guy like Putin would ever negotiate. Especially with the US, when they have a losing hand.

Not sure exactly what that group of military leaders see, considering all the other situations which the Russian military invaded
For the record, I'm not sure if negotiations are in any way a realistic or reasonable option, but I do see the logic.

This war is not going to be over soon with the way Russia is willing to throw people into the grinder, it has a lot of potential to get a lot uglier, there is a risk of escalation, and a purely military victory for Ukraine is impossible because you can't push the Russians further than their own border, and that's not enough to force them to stop.

I'm not saying that to suggest Ukraine should negotiate. It's after all easy for military staff to look at the situation from another continent and suggest that Ukraine should just give up their people and land.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2022, 04:32 PM   #9036
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
For the record, I'm not sure if negotiations are in any way a realistic or reasonable option, but I do see the logic.

This war is not going to be over soon with the way Russia is willing to throw people into the grinder, it has a lot of potential to get a lot uglier, there is a risk of escalation, and a purely military victory for Ukraine is impossible because you can't push the Russians further than their own border, and that's not enough to force them to stop.

I'm not saying that to suggest Ukraine should negotiate. It's after all easy for military staff to look at the situation from another continent and suggest that Ukraine should just give up their people and land.
I agree with your take. Eventually, there is going to have to be some kind of negotiated diplomatic settlement. The only other option is to force Russia into an unconditional surrender and forced de-militarization. The second option does not seem at all possible.

I'll leave it up to people smarter than me to figure out where the sweet spot is to force Russia's hand and get the most favourable terms for Ukraine. I don't think we are there yet, but there are factors for both Ukraine and Russia that are on timers.

If the plan is to try and run down the clock and hope that Russia's economy, political landscape, and internal security collapses, this could go on for a whole generation.
Old 11-13-2022, 04:34 PM   #9037
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Putin concedes defeat, he can still save face at home to an extent by claiming they were defeated by the combined might of all of NATO.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 06:16 PM   #9038
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
If Putin concedes defeat, he can still save face at home to an extent by claiming they were defeated by the combined might of all of NATO.
Considering no NATO boots on the ground or aircraft in the sky he would only be admitting the military he built sucks.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2022, 06:29 PM   #9039
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Russia invades Ukraine

You can’t negotiate with Putin for a permanent stop to the war. He’ll just use any break in fighting to retool his military and try invade again. However, with the amount of corruption there that could take some time.

Plus, after all this I don’t see Ukraine wanting to capitulate on anything - EU, future NATO, reparations, etc.

The entire world community would almost have to treat them like Germany or Japan after WW2 in order for me to trust any permanent truce, and I don’t see any Russians going for that. I don’t think trying to isolate them like Iran would even work.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 06:31 PM   #9040
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should invite Putin for a peace signing, then arrest him for war crimes.

Free boat!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks