Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2014, 04:26 PM   #881
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Can you tell me why 4K is a crock? I need to upgrade my main set soon and I've been waffling on 4K or not...
You basically need to either be sitting a few feet away from the screen or have a huge display and still be sitting fairly close to take advantage of the increase in resolution. With a 50 inch TV you have to be within 5-6 feet to even begin to distinguish between 1080p and higher resolutions and if you're sitting 10 feet away from the screen, you'd likely need an 80-90 inch display to detect a difference in resolution.

That doesn't mean they won't be popular. They look phenomenal up close so they'll look great in stores, but the real world benefit won't be there for the vast majority of consumers.

And of course there's the real possibility that we'll see more 4K content but that it'll have to be compressed to fit current bandwidth realities, in which case the end result might even be worse than a less compressed 720p or 1080p stream.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:35 PM   #882
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
It is well argued that the best time to buy a TV in the last and the next 5-6 years was last year. The Panasonic Plasma last sets were some of the best ever, and the top tier LED's were lacking 4K and the boosted cost. So you had a few cheaper sets that could probably compete with the next few years sets but at less cost.
Samsung's F8500, which I just bought this week, is still being sold for 2014, and you can still buy the Panasonic ZT60. So it's absolutely not too late for this. It is hard to find good non-4K LED's though I was noticing while shopping.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #883
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This math, or just looking at your TV, tells you that you can't see individual pixels. What's interesting is that a 720p, 50-inch TV has pixels roughly 0.034 inch wide. As in, at a distance of 10 feet, even 720p TVs have pixels too small for your eye to see.
I think if you are watching a 50" TV from 10' away, you are sitting too far back. I'm not advocating 4K but screen size and distance from the screen is what I look at when buying a TV, so 4K could be a reasonable choice. Myself I watch my 55" 1080p from about 7.5' and I could probably go up to 60" or even 65" to get the best experience. People just coming into HD often make the mistake of getting too small of a TV because they grew up with a SD 27" at 10' away.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #884
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:
Icon28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Myself I watch my 55" 1080p from about 7.5' and I could probably go up to 60" or even 65" to get the best experience.
The den in an average house is about 10' wall to wall. Assuming you put your furniture wall to wall to maximize space, you're generally sitting about 10' from a TV.

So realistically to take advantage of 4K res, you need a very large screen, like 70" or larger. Most family just don't want this big of a screen to dominate their living room. And that's the delimma 4K faces.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:04 PM   #885
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
The den in an average house is about 10' wall to wall. Assuming you put your furniture wall to wall to maximize space, you're generally sitting about 10' from a TV.

So realistically to take advantage of 4K res, you need a very large screen, like 70" or larger. Most family just don't want this big of a screen to dominate their living room. And that's the delimma 4K faces.
Yeah, it may not be for everyone but those with a dedicated viewing room, 4K could be in the cards.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:20 PM   #886
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Yeah, it may not be for everyone but those with a dedicated viewing room, 4K could be in the cards.
I think the next revolution in TV is Wall TV. A TV so thin that it becomes part of the wall. I think we will be close to that goal with OLED had it not be kiyboshed.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:34 PM   #887
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
Samsung's F8500, which I just bought this week, is still being sold for 2014, and you can still buy the Panasonic ZT60. So it's absolutely not too late for this. It is hard to find good non-4K LED's though I was noticing while shopping.
Agree, it is not too late, but last year was the better year, and it's fading fast.

The ZT is awesome but really marginally better than the VT and $1K more. That Samsung you got is solid, but again the VT was at least an option last year. Add in Sony's pull out of the race to bottom pricing, and it starts to show that it value will be trending down starting this year.

So no doubt there will always be great TV's, and your Samsung is the best currently available. However, it is such a shame that twice in 2008 and 2013 we saw peaks in best picture, followed by a while of regression. Samsung will probably walk away from Plasma soon and that is going to make finding a good picture value very hard in the next few years.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:50 PM   #888
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You can still buy the VT if you look around, too. Memory Express has the 65"... But yes, your point is well taken, supply is getting very scarce and isn't likely to be replenished.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:40 AM   #889
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

These 4K TVs are a little over priced.
http://www.ncix.com/detail/samsung-u...95846-1540.htm
Old 05-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #890
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looking to stream audio and maybe video throughout the house.

I've got two TV's in the basement both with a WD Live and I think those are fine as is.

Looking to have some sort of audio device upstairs (kitchen, living room, family room). Don't want to spend too much money.

Some thoughts were

Cheap/small TV set and plug in a chromecast, can stream anything from computer or tablet (can you actually stream video from a hard drive on chromecast or does it need to be streamed via chrome browser?). Downsides of this are a TV in kitchen or living room and TV quality sound. Upside is having a TV in a location I don't use often but option is there.

Bluetooth audio device, I think this would eliminate the need for a chromecast plugged in, and can just stream audio via bluetooth from a tablet and usually has a docking station or input. Upside is much better audio than a cheap TV, downside is no video if ever wanted. Some of these seem expensive, the not so expensive ones are pretty ugly.

Other options?

What have you guys done around the house to stream audio? I was thinking online radio services like songza etc.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #891
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post

I've got two TV's in the basement both with a WD Live and I think those are fine as is.

Looking to have some sort of audio device upstairs (kitchen, living room, family room). Don't want to spend too much money.

Some thoughts were

Cheap/small TV set and plug in a chromecast, can stream anything from computer or tablet (can you actually stream video from a hard drive on chromecast or does it need to be streamed via chrome browser?). Downsides of this are a TV in kitchen or living room and TV quality sound. Upside is having a TV in a location I don't use often but option is there.

Bluetooth audio device, I think this would eliminate the need for a chromecast plugged in, and can just stream audio via bluetooth from a tablet and usually has a docking station or input. Upside is much better audio than a cheap TV, downside is no video if ever wanted. Some of these seem expensive, the not so expensive ones are pretty ugly.

Other options?

What have you guys done around the house to stream audio? I was thinking online radio services like songza etc.

I bought this:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...d034e7a619en02

For a 1 off speaker It works really well, and if you watch the price you can get it for $100. There is a step up model that sounds better but is about $100 more. Downside is if you want to stream to more than one. Bluetooth will only let you connect to one at a time, but NFC (if you have android) maybe different.

After that you are looking at a Sonos network speaker system. They are more expensive, but can allow you to stream the entire house wirelessly.

I don't even know what model tv you are looking at but I am positive the sound from whatever TV is out there will suck. They all do. Plus it will be a lot more expensive.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:34 AM   #892
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post

Some thoughts were

Other options?

Sonos is the way to go but it ain't cheap and it could start a snowball effect.
- It is dead simple to setup
- Your computer, phone, and tablet can control the music in each different zone. Great user interface and constantly being improved.
- unlocks a plethora of music options like Google Play, Sirius, iTunes, Deezer, Songza, even regular old radio stations like The Fan 960 via TuneIn Radio. They add new services all the time.
- setup different zones playing the same or different music
- well made products and great tech support

I have a Sonos Connect, the hub for delivering music throughout my house, connected to two powered speakers in my den.

I have a Sonos Play:5 in the kitchen...fills the kitchen and living room with great sound...talks to the Connect in the Den to be part of the Sonos system. Eventually I would like to put in ceiling speakers and drive them with the Sonos Connect Amp and add the Sonos wireless sub.

I have a Sonos: Play:1 in the master bathroom...talks to the SOnos Connect in the den. Compact little speaker and sounds great....super protable...but so is the Play:3 and Play:5.

I plan to add another Sonos Connect to my main home theater system...I use a media streamer right now but it is a PITA. Also plan to add a Connect Amp to drive outside speakers.

They also have a soundbar that can sit under your tv...drive your TV sound or play music from the Sonos.

Expensive but it all works seamlessly and without issues. I recommend going to Futureshop or Bestbuy and pickup a Sonos Bridge and a Play:1...or just a Sonos Connect if you have powered speakers...or a Sonos Connect Amp if you want to play through non powered speakers. Try it out for 29 days...
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #893
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone here used bias lighting in their setups. Just looking for more info or comments on it.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #894
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have recently purchased a new home theatre and I am in the process of setting it up.

Receiver -Marantz SR6008
Speakers - Definitive Technology BP8060*2, CS8060, Rears are 8040s
Subwoofer Klipsch SW110B
Projector -Epson 5030ube
Screen - Mustang 120"
Seating - Black Reclining Couches
Others - XBOX 360, Sony Blu-Ray
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #895
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

^nice choice on the speakers. I've got the 8080's with the pro-monitors for my surrounds. You'll definitely enjoy your setup.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:34 AM   #896
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
Good question. I was going to ask whoever sold it to me what I should do on that front.

Hammer drill/carbide bit and concrete anchors. Really easy to do, assuming you know someone with the drill.
Not sure how that works assuming you are in a condo though
Old 06-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #897
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Question regarding in-wall speakers.

I have these from Monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

I am mounting them fairly low in the wall so they don't sit behind my screen when it comes down.

I was looking at them last night and wondered if I'd be better off mounting them sideways instead. That way they aren't as close to the ground, and then they also match the in wall center in terms of landscape vs portrait orientation.

Is this recommended? Or does rotating them mess anything up?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #898
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just moved into a new place and I want to install a few media wall plates to hide all wires behind walls. One behind the TV, one behind the receiver, and one behind each surround speaker in my living room.

I'm wondering how difficult this type of work is. I'm not an electrician by any stretch. Is this a reasonable DIY project or should I just hire it out?

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #899
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Question regarding in-wall speakers.

I have these from Monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

I am mounting them fairly low in the wall so they don't sit behind my screen when it comes down.

I was looking at them last night and wondered if I'd be better off mounting them sideways instead. That way they aren't as close to the ground, and then they also match the in wall center in terms of landscape vs portrait orientation.

Is this recommended? Or does rotating them mess anything up?
I don't think rotating them would make a lick of difference. Go for it!
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #900
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
I just moved into a new place and I want to install a few media wall plates to hide all wires behind walls. One behind the TV, one behind the receiver, and one behind each surround speaker in my living room.

I'm wondering how difficult this type of work is. I'm not an electrician by any stretch. Is this a reasonable DIY project or should I just hire it out?
With the flood last year, my developed basement was wiped out to the studs so it had my a chance to do exactly this. My TV, 5.1 speakers are all wired with plates. I moved my components to my furnace room, which required me to also run an HDMI cable about 30' to my TV. I also ran 2 CAT6 as backup in case the HDMI failed. After about 4 months it is still running well.

In my old setup I did the poor mans wall run, where I took off the baseboard and tucked it under so I could run it along the floor. It didn't take long, and it did the trick more or less, although some spots the wires peeked out a bit. I probably would do that if your walls are all finished.

If you don't have the walls up. Just go to Home Depot and get a large circular bit. I was able to drill a hole in each stud about half way up and run everything through there. Took about a day total to wire my 5.1 and my HDMI to the TV. Now everything (Gateway, PS3, WD Live, Amp) are in the storage room and completely hidden.

I got all my gear at Monoprice. Was cheap and worked very well.

So I guess it depends on setup. If the walls are open it is super easy, if they are up and you have to cut and drywall maybe not, but if you can run under the baseboard that may save you some grief and money.