Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2017, 03:50 PM   #881
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, need a curling venue.

Added bonus: future Heritage Classic games?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:52 PM   #882
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
I'm sure the report will come out saying other venues outside Calgary were looked at, however it's more economic and in the best interest of the Olympic spirit for all events to be centered in Calgary and the Alpine events to be centered in Canmore. blah blah blah.

I think this is just an early way to say were considering everything.
I remember hearing Rick Hanson talk on the Fan 960 about the thing that they had found in the "exploration of an exploratory bid", specifically how the cost of security has increased dramatically post 9-11, and how, in order to be viable, the games (specifically the athletes village, and open/awards/closing ceremonies) needed to be centralized in order to reduce the cost of security. I cant see this 3-5 locations for the games being at all feasible from that standpoint. Its essentially spending money on security rather then infrastructure that would have a post-games use and benefit.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:03 PM   #883
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
So apparently the city is putting the fieldhouse into the Olympic bid and they are adding an ice rink to the middle of the field.

https://www.metronews.ca/news/calgar...struction.html
I wonder what the costs difference would be in up-scaling the hockey arena(s) to go along with the fieldhouse to accomplish the intention here.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:54 PM   #884
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post

Huh? Heritage Classic in a indoor fieldhouse with limited seating?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:50 PM   #885
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

You forgot your green text
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:45 PM   #886
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

They toss outdoor games out like candy now, that stopped being enticing about five years ago. That's on the same level as when Bettman threatened that Calgary might not get to host the entry draft without a new arena. :sheerunbridledhorror:
CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #887
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Might as well throw in a modified CalgaryNEXT in Vic Park. let's get this all done at the same time.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2017, 06:39 PM   #888
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Free trips to exotic places funded by taxpayers? good to see bribes are no longer part of the Olympic bid process /greentext /joking

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...tion-continues

Quote:
The City of Calgary is paying for two MLAs to attend the PyeongChang 2018 Olympics in South Korea alongside three city staff, and potentially Mayor Naheed Nenshi, as part of efforts to evaluate a potential 2026 Olympic bid.

While Premier Rachel Notley dubbed the trip a fact-finding mission and said the province has made no decisions about supporting a Calgary bid, Nenshi said having provincial representation at the upcoming Winter Games is good news for Calgary’s repeat Olympic dreams.

Notley confirmed Thursday afternoon that deputy premier Sarah Hoffman and Minister of Culture and Tourism Ricardo Miranda accepted an invitation from the City of Calgary to attend the opening ceremonies in South Korea.

“I would imagine that that’s a pretty strong signal that if they want to observe, then they’re willing to fund their costs of the bid committee,” said Nenshi, who hopes to also attend the sporting event in February.

In November, council voted 9-4 in favour of spending an additional $1 million — on top of the $5 million already dedicated — to continue exploring a Calgary bid for the 2026 Winter Games.

Council agreed to spend another $1 million on the exploration efforts next year, if the federal and provincial governments agree to help cover the cost of a bid, which is estimated to be around $30 million.

“We’ve made no decision on that. We’re still in the fact-finding and the research stage right now,” Notley told reporters in Edmonton on Thursday.

An end of January deadline has been set by council for the province and Ottawa to come on board and participate in a bid committee — just days before the Feb. 9 to 25 Winter Games in South Korea.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #889
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm quite certain official observer status at the games leading up to a bid process is a requirement if you're to bid. The City and Province are certainly required to go if we want to move forward.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:33 PM   #890
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, if Edmonton is part of this bid at all (and I can see Notely including Edmonton in there to justify provincial money and retain NDP votes in the next election and goodwill up there under the guise of having a bigger stadium and newer arena), the Calgary should pull out.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:39 AM   #891
stamps
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Again, if Edmonton is part of this bid at all (and I can see Notely including Edmonton in there to justify provincial money and retain NDP votes in the next election and goodwill up there under the guise of having a bigger stadium and newer arena), the Calgary should pull out.
Nenshi has no problem using my tax money for an Olympic bid that will bring Olympic hockey to Edmonton and enable the IOC to make hundreds of millions , all for a sixteen day party that I don't know , will help elevate his political career maybe ??? Yet he has no appetite for using public funds for a piece of infrastructure that will help keep NHL hockey and other events that would benefit Calgarians locally for the next thirty years ??? Is the city's bid not saying that they will front the loan but be paid back in full and their third of the cost is also to be paid back over x amount of years ??? Am I correct or am I missing something ???
stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stamps For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2017, 12:42 AM   #892
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't want the Olympics. If they're going to waste money waste it on a rink for the Flames.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2017, 01:35 AM   #893
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Something doesn't add up here. Nenshi seems fully on-board with hosting the Olympics yet he's battling the Flames tooth-and-nail on potential venues? Surely he doesn't believe the Saddledome or McMahon Stadium are adequate for 2026, does he?

And I echo Browna, if it means Calgary has to use Edmonton's facilities to get this done, count me out. One of the perks of hosting the Olympics is to thumb our noses at Edmonton when they brag about hosting the Track and Field Championships or something else less significant. Haha.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JD For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2017, 09:35 AM   #894
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary ain't using Edmonton's arena.

This is called posturing. Sheesh.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:45 AM   #895
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamps View Post
Nenshi has no problem using my tax money for an Olympic bid that will bring Olympic hockey to Edmonton and enable the IOC to make hundreds of millions , all for a sixteen day party that I don't know , will help elevate his political career maybe ??? Yet he has no appetite for using public funds for a piece of infrastructure that will help keep NHL hockey and other events that would benefit Calgarians locally for the next thirty years ??? Is the city's bid not saying that they will front the loan but be paid back in full and their third of the cost is also to be paid back over x amount of years ??? Am I correct or am I missing something ???
They offered 1/3 public funding.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #896
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well the fact that Edmonton being included in the bid is not a thing. At least not currently. So maybe hold your outrage.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:54 AM   #897
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Something doesn't add up here. Nenshi seems fully on-board with hosting the Olympics yet he's battling the Flames tooth-and-nail on potential venues? Surely he doesn't believe the Saddledome or McMahon Stadium are adequate for 2026, does he?

And I echo Browna, if it means Calgary has to use Edmonton's facilities to get this done, count me out. One of the perks of hosting the Olympics is to thumb our noses at Edmonton when they brag about hosting the Track and Field Championships or something else less significant. Haha.
Do you know that for city projects sometimes money comes from the city, sometimes from the province and sometimes from the federal government?

With regards to a hockey arena vs Olympic venues which one do you think has federal money being put into our city? And therefore which one do you think Nenshi is most likely to get behind?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #898
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Yet he has no appetite for using public funds for a piece of infrastructure that will help keep NHL hockey and other events that would benefit Calgarians locally for the next thirty years ???
You say this, and yet the legacy of the Olympics gives us more publicly usable spaces than a new arena gifted to billionaires would. Amateur sport getting support is a good thing.

I'd love to see the Olympics here and I do think they offer a good legacy for the city, but the numbers don't make sense for Calgary right now. I'd also love the Flames to stay put in a new arena, but not for what they're asking for right now. Right now, I don't think the money works for either of these.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #899
stamps
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
They offered 1/3 public funding.
Paying property tax will more than recoup the city's contribution over 35 years I think is what the Flames are getting at , so essentially the Flames do end up paying for the whole thing plus ... the user fee's collected are really Flames revenue so that third is being defined as Flames contribution by the franchise ... I bet the indirect funding from the city (17th ave extension and under passes etc) would also be covered by the property tax so that is probably where Ken King gets his 120% the Flames end up eventually paying .... I can see why the Flames would turn this down ... there has to be some middle ground here ...

Last edited by stamps; 12-08-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:34 AM   #900
stamps
Scoring Winger

Exp:

here is what the rest of Canada has done with publically funded sport arenas and stadiums .... http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...h-public-funds