Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #881
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah that model looks like you can do both the HDD and the RAM.

For the RAM in theory some architectures have better performance if the RAM is put in pairs (or threes in some cases), but I don't know if this particular model has that, and in practice the performance boost is barely measurable.

So I'd probably go with whatever's cheaper.

For the SSD, the problem is with the latest version of OSX Yosemite it don't support TRIM (which keeps SSDs fast as things are deleted) for 3rd party SSDs. There's a hack for it but it significantly impacts the security of the system.

http://www.cindori.org/trim-enabler-and-yosemite/

So you either have to go through that, or pick an SSD that has robust garbage collection built in so it's not impacted much by having no TRIM support.

I think the best ones for that are still the SandForce based ones, so an Intel 530 would work. The Kingston V300 and HyperX ones are SandForce based as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2015, 09:06 AM   #882
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Bump.

Apple is holding an event today titled "Spring Forward". Starts at 11AM MT.

Expected to be heavy on details for the apple watch, but hoping they announce the Retina MacBook Air being speculated.
Jbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:23 AM   #883
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'd like to see an Apple TV update. I switched to Roku and it's been a really nice experience for the most part. I'm interested to see if they could win me back, but rumours are suggesting this will not be the event.

As for the watch I'm interested to see what some of the app ideas developers have come up with. Apparently a few have been at Apple for a few weeks coming up with stuff, and Cook teased at the announcement event that they had a ton of great use cases to show at a later date.

I golfed with a guy who had one of those range finder bands this summer. If it could do something like that and act as my score card it would be half way to convincing me to try one out. I was also considering something like a fit bit. Technically a golf band and a fit bit would probably come to the same price. Add in the other apps, and it could be cool. If the battery won't last a 4-5 hour round of golf, it'd be a big minus.

Edit: Hmmm. The event is over. Did they announce much of anything about the watch that wasn't mentioned in the first event? Prices range from $349-$10,000+, which was new but the rumours were pretty accurate. I went in with some excitement but I just don't see a whole lot of point. Every cool little thing it can do is just your phone doing the heavy lifting and pairing to your watch. Pulling my phone out of my pocket is admittedly annoying, but to the point I'd spend $400?

I love the fitness aspect of it, but I'm not sure I'd want it for any other reason. I think I'll take a pass on gen 1 and see if anything crazy comes out for gen 2.

Last edited by Russic; 03-09-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #884
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Someone will come up with a killer app that will force me to buy a watch. I haven't seen that yet though.

Space grey MacBook though? I'm in.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #885
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

its about $50 more than i was hoping for, but ill still prob buy a Sport watch.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:56 PM   #886
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

$10,000 for a watch that within a year will be outdated? Damn I applaud Apple's audacity, but I guess it's not that audacious when they know there's people who will gladly part with $10,000 for it.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:00 PM   #887
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

####, I was just coming in to say "in before: OMG $10K Apple fanboy lol wtf".

Old 03-09-2015, 01:15 PM   #888
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Apple is overreaching here
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #889
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Someone will come up with a killer app that will force me to buy a watch. I haven't seen that yet though.

Space grey MacBook though? I'm in.
I was all aboard on it, but after sitting here thinking, I dont know if the slim form factor and "sexiness" is worth it. 1300 for a 1.1 M chip laptop. Think I will pull the trigger on a 13" MBP with the new chips and flex input.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:30 PM   #890
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

The interesting thing is that the old MBA 11 and 13" versions are being updated - it'll be interesting to see how price wise this all slots together given the $1299 price of the 12. I hate to say it but you're giving up ports, processor power, and a few extra bucks for the "thinness" factor.

Maybe a 2014 MBA is the best bet of all? Especially refurb?

EDIT: $1549 in CAD... yeesh. They sure aren't making this an easy decision.... for a 1.1ghz, 8MB, 256 GB machine...

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 03-09-2015 at 01:54 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #891
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

My dad bought a MBA 13" less than two weeks ago, and I was disappointed when I first heard of the "new" Macbook. But I think that the larger screen, SD port for his memory card, USB, etc. is much better suited for him. He will definitely use some of those things that would be missing on the new one (without an adapter, sold separately, of course).

I just wish that he would have waited for the refresh of the MBA before buying, but I suppose that I should have been on top of that as his son. I doubt that he'd notice the difference anyway, but still...
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #892
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

The only question I have... When I buy a separate $22,000 Apple Watch for each day of the week, do I include Saturdays and Sundays?

Last edited by You Need a Thneed; 03-09-2015 at 02:26 PM.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #893
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the watch pricing is a little steep IMO.

Not so bad for the sport, but for people that want a nicer looking band $549 for something that you need a $700 device to use is getting a little steep.

Edit: Just saw the Canadian markup due to the dollar, yikes that is really steep.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 03-09-2015 at 02:43 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #894
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Yup, Canadian pricing starting at $449 for sport, and $699 for the stainless steel one.

($13,000 for the edition)
Old 03-09-2015, 02:47 PM   #895
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Apple watch isn't water proof and only lasts for 18 hours. So how does it track your sleep if its charging? I'll pass for now.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:51 PM   #896
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, the other laptop prices went up by a substantial amount today in Canada.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:58 PM   #897
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Think some folks may want to read up on Broadwell Core M CPUs...

Old 03-09-2015, 02:59 PM   #898
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Wow, the other laptop prices went up by a substantial amount today in Canada.
iPhone prices up too. Probably everything, except for the Apple TV, which had the price drop in the US to $69. Still $89 Canadian.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #899
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

The more I think about it, the more this conference was a major let down for me.

I was very interested in the watch, but at a 450 price point for the sport and close to 750 for my preferred version..I'll wait for reviews. I don't mind spending money on a nice piece, but watches are not a yearly upgrade. Don't want to get stuck with version 1 and in 12 months have it be obsolete.

The MacBook was an even bigger fail for me. I have been waiting to buy a new laptop hoping this was the refresh on the MacBook Air. (Which did get one) but the MacBook air is still not retina. The weakness of the MacBook can't be overlooked...seriously an M processor? For 1550 CAD before tax? Guess I'll wait to June to see the next updates, but the 13" MBP retina may pull me in before that.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:15 PM   #900
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

With that USB Type C connector, is it possible to both charge it and use a USB flash drive at the same time?
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote