Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #881
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Another blunder, but whatever. The guy I talked to said if my modem serial ends in 866 then it will not do BB50. Sure enough my serial ends in 866.

I assume that is correct? Thanks again. Good to see there are still great service people at Shaw. That is why I always stuck with them over Telus.
There is 1 SMC model that isn't a Docsis3 modem, all others should have a model name that looks like SMCD3XX. If it has the D3, it is Docsis3, which is what is required to support BB50.

As for serial number, the model I have at work (which has the D3 model name) does not end in 866, so that does give some support to that.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #882
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

My work one is an SMCD3GN

I cannot read the serial number because it is bolted to a wall. I have only been getting around 10MBps on speedtests at work. I'm not sure which plan we are on, I'll have to check tomorrow.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #883
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
My work one is an SMCD3GN

I cannot read the serial number because it is bolted to a wall. I have only been getting around 10MBps on speedtests at work. I'm not sure which plan we are on, I'll have to check tomorrow.
Make sure you are not using Platinum's servers for your speed test - they cant handle the speed so it always tests low on the download.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #884
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Make sure you are not using Platinum's servers for your speed test - they cant handle the speed so it always tests low on the download.
I'm using Speakeasy Seattle which is what Shaw uses most of the time too when they ask you to test your connection.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #885
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
There is 1 SMC model that isn't a Docsis3 modem, all others should have a model name that looks like SMCD3XX. If it has the D3, it is Docsis3, which is what is required to support BB50.

As for serial number, the model I have at work (which has the D3 model name) does not end in 866, so that does give some support to that.
Ok, so I just checked SMC8014WN. Looks like they were right. I'll sit tight for the new one to come.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out. In reflection, I had high speed and it was fine to the point that I didn't really notice. So it is good to use those credits I saved, now apply on discounted service for BB50. So in the end, ya I am a little ticked, but whatever. I have horrible luck with Telus so I probably would be in the same boat if I switched. At this point, I am just looking forward to trying out BB50 when it comes.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #886
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Ok, so I just checked SMC8014WN. Looks like they were right. I'll sit tight for the new one to come.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out. In reflection, I had high speed and it was fine to the point that I didn't really notice. So it is good to use those credits I saved, now apply on discounted service for BB50. So in the end, ya I am a little ticked, but whatever. I have horrible luck with Telus so I probably would be in the same boat if I switched. At this point, I am just looking forward to trying out BB50 when it comes.
BB50 at work is pretty blazing fast, so I think you'll like it. At home I'm on extreme but usually only get about 15 of the advertised 25 Mbps, and that's actually OK for my needs at home, but at work on BB50 I am always at least 40-45 Mbps.

A lot of the time, however, the servers that you are downloading from can't even deliver the goods that fast. Regardless, it gives you extra capacity to use something intensive like Netflix without completely maxing out your connection for other people in the house (or for your own multitasking).
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #887
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bumping this to see if anyone else has had problems upgrading from BB50 to BB100?

My dl speed actually went down after the upgrade, and a tech support call and visit has done nothing to remedy the situation. Shaw tells me another subscriber in my apartment building has experienced the exact same problem. The UL speeds went up to about 85-90% of advertised immediately, but even with an ethernet connection directly to the SMC, I'm averaging about 25-30 mbps down.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #888
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been at 50 with no problems, but can't say about 100.

If another person has the same problem, then it is outside of your control. Depending on the area/building there are many factors that could contribute to a reduced speed. Could be your buildings wiring, an oversaturated node or some a SNR issue.

Tell Shaw to reduce your plan to 50 (or even 25) unless they can fix it, would be my suggestion.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #889
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For all my complaining on their CS, the service has worked as advertised for me too on BB50. I check a few times a week, just to make sure, and I hit 43 Mbps each time.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #890
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Just checked and my BB100 is working, got 93Mbps.

Oh, and don't use the speedtest.net point in Calgary, got 3Mbps there lol.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:48 AM   #891
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ordered BB50 over a month ago. They gave me a confirmation # and I haven't heard back from them. I've called three times. The first time I was on hold for 2 hours and gave up. The second time they gave me a song and dance. The third time he put me on hold to check and never came back for 2 hours, so I hung up. I've given up. Good luck dealing with Shaw these days.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:40 AM   #892
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Just checked and my BB100 is working, got 93Mbps.

Oh, and don't use the speedtest.net point in Calgary, got 3Mbps there lol.
Yeah, Platinum is awful. On speedtest.net I use Tera-byte in Edm, Rainy Day in Winnipeg and Smug Mug in San Jose as my 3 servers.

Never heard back from the teach yesterday, I'll call Shaw later today to see if they can determine if the issue was fixed for the other subscriber in my building. If not, back to BB50 for me.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #893
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Maybe a silly question here, but going from high speed (7mbps) to BB50 (50mbps) should I notice an alarming difference? I tested the speed on Shaw (43mbps), speakeasy (14mbps) and speedtest (14mbps). From what I'm reading here Shaw is a reliable source for that number? I am using wifi, but 90% of my devices are wifi connected and I'm not noticing much different on any of them.

I only mention it because I was expecting the difference to be a little more than what I'm experiencing. As far as I can tell most things seem to download at around the same rate. I've noticed I can watch HD streams from youtube slightly faster, but that's about it. Should I be blown away by the difference here? Is 50 mbps just a top speed you can attain if everything is ideal?
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #894
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

BUmp!

I'm having a hell of a time with my new BB50.

I received the Cisco modem/router. Things are working fine in terms of internet surfing, however, the router aspect blows. No DLNA support? What is this, 1994?

Anyway, I've looked online for solutions and it appears the only solution is to call shaw and get tech support to switch the modem into 'bridge' mode, allowing me to use my pre-existing router setup.

While I'm on hold waiting, any other work arounds that someone may know of?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #895
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
BUmp!

I'm having a hell of a time with my new BB50.

I received the Cisco modem/router. Things are working fine in terms of internet surfing, however, the router aspect blows. No DLNA support? What is this, 1994?

Anyway, I've looked online for solutions and it appears the only solution is to call shaw and get tech support to switch the modem into 'bridge' mode, allowing me to use my pre-existing router setup.

While I'm on hold waiting, any other work arounds that someone may know of?
Bridge mode. Don't let them try and talk you out of it.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #896
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Here's a question:

I just read that if you can connect to 192.168.100.1, that the modem is already in bridged mode.

This seems suspect to me, as I am connecting to it from a wireless connection...
Old 12-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #897
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, that is the address of the modem in bridge mode. Can you log in via the info on the sticker on top of your modem at 192.168.0.1?
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #898
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Yeah, that is the address of the modem in bridge mode. Can you log in via the info on the sticker on top of your modem at 192.168.0.1?
Yep.

I've set it up to be wireless for now (because my boss will be home soon), but I'm not getting any DLNA capability (which is bull####).

I found this website and did everything step by step and got everything to work except for internet connectivity. All the settings seem right, and I don't know why I can't get internet through my router, but that's where I am.

I think shaw customer service wait time is 37 days at this point, so if any shaw CSRs want to keep a loyal customer, let me know. All i need is my modem to be 'bridged' and I can do the rest.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #899
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Yep.

I've set it up to be wireless for now (because my boss will be home soon), but I'm not getting any DLNA capability (which is bull####).

I found this website and did everything step by step and got everything to work except for internet connectivity. All the settings seem right, and I don't know why I can't get internet through my router, but that's where I am.

I think shaw customer service wait time is 37 days at this point, so if any shaw CSRs want to keep a loyal customer, let me know. All i need is my modem to be 'bridged' and I can do the rest.
Contact ShawHelp on twitter.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #900
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

BB100...directly wired in and I haven't received higher than 30mbps. With all the hassle I've had with Shaw over this install (they missed their window, they set me up with the wrong flippin HD box for tv - which they still haven't addressed), I'm just at a loss.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
luongo supports ubb , oilers stink!