Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 09:36 AM   #881
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sam Bennett, the 2017-18 CalgaryPuck whipping boy. Sigh.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 09:42 AM   #882
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe Vrbata would serve well as Bennett's " Hudler".
Old 06-27-2017, 09:42 AM   #883
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Sam Bennett, the 2017-18 CalgaryPuck whipping boy. Sigh.
Well, if he's not going to score 50 goals and 100 points playing with 3rd liners then he must deserve it, amiright?
Old 06-27-2017, 09:51 AM   #884
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do people think of this trade?

Brouwer for Cammalleri

Cammy makes $500k more on the cap hit butnhas one less year of term on the contract. The Flames did not want to see him go when he went to NJ so I could see the team being open to a reunion.

The only problem is I doubt Brouwer waives for NJ
Old 06-27-2017, 09:52 AM   #885
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
Hearing Vegas is trying to move Emelin and having trouble, I think with salary retained would be a good replacement for Engelland on the 3rd pairing, thoughts?
My thoughts are we just got rid of all our crappy defensemen and have zero desire to add one. Would rather use Kulak & Andersson.
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 09:54 AM   #886
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
Hearing Vegas is trying to move Emelin and having trouble, I think with salary retained would be a good replacement for Engelland on the 3rd pairing, thoughts?
He throws some heavy hits so I would be open to it at some retained money. Only 1 year left on the contract would take him as a number 5.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:55 AM   #887
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
What do people think of this trade?

Brouwer for Cammalleri

Cammy makes $500k more on the cap hit butnhas one less year of term on the contract. The Flames did not want to see him go when he went to NJ so I could see the team being open to a reunion.

The only problem is I doubt Brouwer waives for NJ
One of the main reasons Brouwer was brought in was due to his size, toughness and leadership. Cammalleri brings one of those intangibles. I know we can all agree that Brouwer may have only brought some kind of Leadership last year, and barely any toughness. I would fathom a guess that he will have a better year this season. Lets hold off on the Brouwer trade talk for at least half this season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #888
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

According to the dobber hockey website, the reason Bennett does not get ice time with gaudreau is because he doesn't produce with him. I am barely literate but if I am reading this correctly His points pace declined significantly when he was taken off of versteegs line and placed with gaudreau.
His offensive zone starts we're marginally improved compared to last year but his points per 60 declined. Backlund effect? Probably. It matches the eye test though.

Bennett doesn't play offensively like a top 6 centre in my opinion. Does not distribute the puck effectively in all areas of the ice.

Can't say he is not being out into a position to succeed when he hasn't shown himself to be a consistent offensive threat when given opportunities.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 10:05 AM   #889
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a make or break year for Bennett. I hope he comes to camp ready to steal top 6 minutes and force Gulutzan to move him up the lineup. Fact is, he was passed by Matthew Tkachuk last season. I hope that pissed him off and he uses that to take a huge leap.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 10:05 AM   #890
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
One of the main reasons Brouwer was brought in was due to his size, toughness and leadership. Cammalleri brings one of those intangibles. I know we can all agree that Brouwer may have only brought some kind of Leadership last year, and barely any toughness. I would fathom a guess that he will have a better year this season. Lets hold off on the Brouwer trade talk for at least half this season.
Brouwer did not being any toughness and really didn't use his size. Cammy at least can score goals and is a great trigger man on the PP.

Brouwer was panned by many people when signed based off his analytics. Considering that with his first season I am not hopeful that he is going to rebound.

Also it would be nice to be free only that $4.5M cap hit a year sooner when Tkachuk needs to be paid and possibly a long term Bennett extension
Old 06-27-2017, 10:05 AM   #891
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Plugged in reporter suggests flames considered moving a player, but I don't want that to be true so I don't believe it and instead accuse Friedman of dishonesty.
What? Based on what has been repeated here I don't think that is what Friedman said. It looks more like there is lots of interest in Bennett from other teams, but the Flames are reticent to trade him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 10:08 AM   #892
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
This is a make or break year for Bennett. I hope he comes to camp ready to steal top 6 minutes and force Gulutzan to move him up the lineup. Fact is, he was passed by Matthew Tkachuk last season. I hope that pissed him off and he uses that to take a huge leap.
I disagree that this is make or break next season. I do think this is a make or
break extension for Bennett. I believe he gets a 2-3 year deal and if things do not drastically improve then they will move him. I see this similar to Galchenyuk in the fact they signed him to a bridge and are not convinced he is a long term piece so they are moving him
Old 06-27-2017, 10:09 AM   #893
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loob job View Post
I heard the interview and he said he thinks the flames had offers for Bennett but don't want to move him. He never once mentioned the Flames considered moving him or that he was involved in any Islanders deal as mentioned by someone else. He made it sound like the Flames don't want to give up on him.
Ok, gotcha. I didn't have a clear understanding of it as I only caught the aftermath. Thank you
Old 06-27-2017, 10:15 AM   #894
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not every player lives up to their draft status. I am in no way calling Bennett a bust but he is an asset like every other player. If a team out there sees more potential in Bennett than the Flames do, why is it sacrilege to consider moving him? If its OK to gut future drafts for top 4 four Defensemen and veteran goalies, why wouldn't the team consider options on a player like Bennett? If they're not, then they're not doing their job.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:16 AM   #895
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loob job View Post
I heard the interview and he said he thinks the flames had offers for Bennett but don't want to move him. He never once mentioned the Flames considered moving him or that he was involved in any Islanders deal as mentioned by someone else. He made it sound like the Flames don't want to give up on him.
When 960 played the Friedman piece this morning it sounded like Bennett was the young player they wanted to keep in the Hamonic trade.

After going and listening myself that is NOT the case. The Bennett discussion was Cox stating he thinks that Bennett could be the key to the Flames really becoming a top end team. If he pans out Calgary looks stacked going forward. Friedman then went on to say Calgary resisted the temptation to move Sam as they had offers over the weekend. He then said something along the lines that Bennett wouldn't have been totally opposed to a move either but ultimately the Flames decided to keep him and want to see this through.

Thank goodness because I am a huge believer in Bennett.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 10:16 AM   #896
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think make or break is pretty harsh with regarts to S. Bennett. He's put up an 18 and 13 goal season plus 18 and 13 assists, averaging that to 15 goals and 15 assists.

A 30 point, 15 goal player is not a bust, however you want to cut it. If he stays that way he's very servicable.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:25 AM   #897
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Not every player lives up to their draft status. I am in no way calling Bennett a bust but he is an asset like every other player. If a team out there sees more potential in Bennett than the Flames do, why is it sacrilege to consider moving him? If its OK to gut future drafts for top 4 four Defensemen and veteran goalies, why wouldn't the team consider options on a player like Bennett? If they're not, then they're not doing their job.
Do you give up on a 20 year old that had a typical sophomore slump?

People see what Johnny and Monahan each did in their second year and then what Tkachuk (and Johnny) did in their first year and Sam was not as productive.

Good to note though Sam is the same age next season as Johnny was in his rookie year
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 10:28 AM   #898
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Pierre LeBrun @PierreVLeBrun

By the way, Andrei Markov (seeking 2-year deal) is representing himself in talks with the Habs. No agent.
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #899
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Pierre LeBrun @PierreVLeBrun

By the way, Andrei Markov (seeking 2-year deal) is representing himself in talks with the Habs. No agent.
That is very interesting. I would be curious to know the details behind his decision to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 06-27-2017, 10:34 AM   #900
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
I think make or break is pretty harsh with regarts to S. Bennett. He's put up an 18 and 13 goal season plus 18 and 13 assists, averaging that to 15 goals and 15 assists.

A 30 point, 15 goal player is not a bust, however you want to cut it. If he stays that way he's very servicable.
A 15/15 player is not a bust. A 15/15 player drafted 4th overall is a bust. A guy drafted that high should be making an impact in the NHL within 2-3years, which is why this year is HUGE for him.
He would honestly be given much more leniency if he weren't the highest ever draft pick of the flames.

I look at some of the other guys from that draft and how well they're doing and I can't help but feel that Bennett has been a little bit of a let down thus far.
Make no mistake, of all player/prospects in the entire organization, I want him to succeed the most, but he's making it a little bit hard for some fans to keep the belief.

He is the key for putting the flames over the top. If he finds a way to put it together next year, watch out.

Last edited by yourbestfriend; 06-27-2017 at 10:37 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourbestfriend For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread