Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2023, 02:30 PM   #8961
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
How is it that 2 non-business days after I cancel my compromised credit card, multiple companies with auto payment freak the #### out and start spamming me with communications for payment? #### you AI bots. Take a break on the long weekend!

I guess I have to endure this for the 5-8 business days until I receive my replacement card.

FFS.
Oof, best of luck with that. I had a credit card compromised a couple years ago, and my "backup" card was cancelled—with no notice or warning—for account inactivity. I lucked out, in that the timing worked out perfectly such that there was no disruption to any of my auto-paid bills.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2023, 02:42 PM   #8962
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was kind of suspicious after Simplii unexpectedly sent a new debit card a few years before my current one would expire. A heads up would have been nice to know this wasn’t some elaborate phishing attempt to get my PIN or something.

Also - new Simplii bank card… kind of ugly and undignified, but it’s growing on me.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 04:25 PM   #8963
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? Now with 3x more gears...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Get buzzed by a car on most rides, refuse to cross the yellow line on an empty road as people need to prove a point. Not sure if people would maintain their same attitude if they hit a cyclist and had to explain to the cyclists loved ones that there was nothing they could do.
I find that the vehicles that buzz me when I’m out on my road bike are almost exclusively BMWs, new Audis or Ram trucks.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 04:46 PM   #8964
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Trades seem like a good career choice for young people right now. AI isn’t taking away any plumbing jobs any time soon.
If you want my anecdotal opinion...if a young person wants a trade right now, become an Electrician.

Our society wants to electrify everything at the moment, those guys are going to be in work for years.

My son-in-law is a Sparky, in 6 months he went from being laid-off from Apprentice to Journeyman due to wages to now being run off his feet in work.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2023, 05:00 PM   #8965
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
If you want my anecdotal opinion...if a young person wants a trade right now, become an Electrician.

Our society wants to electrify everything at the moment, those guys are going to be in work for years.

My son-in-law is a Sparky, in 6 months he went from being laid-off from Apprentice to Journeyman due to wages to now being run off his feet in work.
I tell high schoolers that if they don't have an idea what to do, business degree or trades are both good paths while they figure it out. Business degree if you're relatively comfortable with using your head, trades if you're more comfortable with your hands. Both have retainable skills right off the bat that are still useful even if they change their minds and go with a different career path. Even if you can't make money with that initial training, it gives you useful skills to save money for your own personal day to day. It's not like other paths that are significantly more feast, full or famine. It's a bit more stable/useful in situations other than job.

Someone I know swallowed his pride, resigned from his meh white collar job, and polished off his journeyman's ticket to work up north to do construction work. He's hoping to make $300-400K+ gross per year including living allowances if he can make it to foreman level. He hates being gone from family, but immediately doubling to tripling his current white collar job wages to address a need for the family, it was a no brainer for him.

I think AI and 3D printing might affect some of the framer guys and whatnot, but only a little bit. I think the vast majority of the trades guys will be fine. The only guy I know that's sorta struggling (ie: Making sub $100K vs over $200K previously) are dudes that decided they're refusing to travel for work. They're still making decent money, but limited to half or more of what they could truly make if they would be willing to leave their families for a few weeks per month at a time to work in other locations in Canada.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 05:06 PM   #8966
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Business degree? Really? Everyone I know who got one of those found it pretty useless. Better to go into generally studies and explore what University had to offer, than dive into that first year. You need the right personality type to be successful with a business degree, I wouldn't consider it a good default if you don't know what you are doing. Speaking from, uhm, direct experience.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2023, 05:22 PM   #8967
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

A business degree seems headed towards uselessness. The whole world is headed towards mega corporations, AI operations and management, and low paying freelance task work.

There will be heavy innovation in trades to reduce manual actions and lower manpower hours, however once the middle class is completely eroded there won’t be anyone but the 1% that can afford anything thus circling the economy down the robotically plumbed drain.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 05:24 PM   #8968
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

A joint isn’t a talking stick. Puff it, pass it, then tell your story while we smoke and listen.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2023, 05:50 PM   #8969
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
A joint isn’t a talking stick. Puff it, pass it, then tell your story while we smoke and listen.
Oh man those guys are the absolute worst.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 10:59 PM   #8970
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Business degree? Really? Everyone I know who got one of those found it pretty useless. Better to go into generally studies and explore what University had to offer, than dive into that first year. You need the right personality type to be successful with a business degree, I wouldn't consider it a good default if you don't know what you are doing. Speaking from, uhm, direct experience.
A business degree is best when you get a designation afterwards.. CPA, CFS, CHRP...I'd tell people going the BComm route to ensure it's where they want to go, and be prepared for more school afterwards.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2023, 12:40 AM   #8971
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Business basics with finance, accounting and marketing are more useful for the basics of financial literacy than general studies, general sciences, social sciences or art. It's also more likely to look good on a resume, even if yes, it's basically as useless as courses in other disciplines.

Bcomm also forces you to take options classes in other disciples so you can still easily see what else the university has to offer. If you fumble through 4-5 years of university, Bcomm is still more recognized than general studies. From that point, treat the Bcomm as general studies, take further education or abandon it anyways and do what you actually want to do (recommended to figure it out earlier than convocation though).

That was advice given to me years ago. Don't general studies degree, do Bcomm. I started off taking so many interest options classes anyways that I ended up a few credits shy of a social sciences double major. I didn't head down focus on a Bcomm degree. My friends who general studies and social sciences degrees ended up in dead end paths and abandoned all of what they learned in their degree in their career. I thought I too tight I didn't learn much in Bcomm. But I had the options to keep furthering my education. My friends did not. One works doing nothing close to his degree but is making do. The other started over and did a culinary path. Still looking for his niche, but happily enjoying what he's doing.

For someone who doesn't know what they're doing, you can't ask them to do engineering, law or nursing/medicine. You can't blunder your way through earth sciences as easily as Bcomm. White collar wise, that leaves Bcomm as the most well recognized by HR (assuming same GPA) for those who are aimless when going for a degree IMO.

Many resumes are auto filtered these days. It's unfair that a smarter kid might get filtered out because general studies vs something classier degree wise, but dumber candidates, but it is what it is.

IMO an MBA is overrated too. It's designed IMO for those who are unsure of what they'd accomplished up to that point. MBA isn't useless, but it's not as creme a la creme candidate as it once was. Especially since over qualification is a thing.
Old 08-09-2023, 06:47 AM   #8972
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't mean get a general studies degree, just that it's a good place to start if you are unsure of your options.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 09:18 AM   #8973
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
For someone who doesn't know what they're doing, you can't ask them to do engineering, law or nursing/medicine. You can't blunder your way through earth sciences as easily as Bcomm.
Sure you can; I blundered my way through an engineering degree.

Quote:
IMO an MBA is overrated too. It's designed IMO for those who are unsure of what they'd accomplished up to that point. MBA isn't useless, but it's not as creme a la creme candidate as it once was. Especially since over qualification is a thing.
In my opinion an MBA is something your employer pays you to get if they're grooming you for a senior leadership position. I've had a handful of CVs cross my desk in the last couple years where the candidate got an MBA right after their bachelor's degree and it screams "I couldn't get a job when I graduated so mummy and daddy paid for me to stay in school for another couple years in the hopes the job market would be better." Between a candidate with an MBA and a candidate with a couple years of work experience I'll favour the latter every single time.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2023, 09:25 AM   #8974
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Oh man those guys are the absolute worst.
It's a doobie not a microphone.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2023, 09:40 AM   #8975
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
I find that the vehicles that buzz me when I’m out on my road bike are almost exclusively BMWs, new Audis or Ram trucks.
I think low self esteem is a pre requisite for buying a Ram truck, every purchase comes with a punisher sticker, flat brim cap, white oakleys, and a coupon for a barbed wire/tribal tattoo.
Old 08-09-2023, 11:19 AM   #8976
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
I think low self esteem is a pre requisite for buying a Ram truck, every purchase comes with a punisher sticker, flat brim cap, white oakleys, and a coupon for a barbed wire/tribal tattoo.
"Looks out window..."

My Ram doesn't have any of that stuff...

Did I miss out on a dealer option ?
Old 08-09-2023, 12:01 PM   #8977
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Sure you can; I blundered my way through an engineering degree.

In my opinion an MBA is something your employer pays you to get if they're grooming you for a senior leadership position. I've had a handful of CVs cross my desk in the last couple years where the candidate got an MBA right after their bachelor's degree and it screams "I couldn't get a job when I graduated so mummy and daddy paid for me to stay in school for another couple years in the hopes the job market would be better." Between a candidate with an MBA and a candidate with a couple years of work experience I'll favour the latter every single time.
Yeah, but you got into engineering from the get go. The kids I was chatting to were wondering what to take or whether to take a year off. I assume they aren't the ones with the 80+ average to get in. BComm I think was slightly lower in the 70s to get in?

And I meant blunder as in a degree you could blunder your way through to a solid job opportunity on the other side.

Agreed about the grooming part, but there are those who do the MBA of their own volition for seemingly confusing reasons. The ones that are more odd are individuals who are designated and have an MBA as well. I had some friends who were offered by their employer either MBA or a designation, never both. But I've met a few CPA + MBA and CFA + MBA and I'm kinda confused why they'd do that. Typically you'd accomplish a very similar education in CPA and CFA to MBA, no?

I assumed at first it was maybe MBA first then designation so that they could sign off on certain things and be accredited to do certain things. But when I asked, it was... nope. Other way around. MBA obtained after designation. WTF why?
Old 08-09-2023, 01:36 PM   #8978
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
"Looks out window..."

My Ram doesn't have any of that stuff...

Did I miss out on a dealer option ?

I think you have to ask for the 1500 DBag trim
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 02:04 PM   #8979
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

White cars grind my gears.

So ####ing ugly.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2023, 02:07 PM   #8980
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
A business degree seems headed towards uselessness. The whole world is headed towards mega corporations, AI operations and management, and low paying freelance task work.

There will be heavy innovation in trades to reduce manual actions and lower manpower hours, however once the middle class is completely eroded there won’t be anyone but the 1% that can afford anything thus circling the economy down the robotically plumbed drain.
My wife has a business degree.

She teaches Grade 6 sciene
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote