Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 01:58 PM   #8941
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
If Bennett is still on the roster (only likely if this ship turns around), I could see a scenario where we trade him to SEA on the condition that they don't draft Gio (hence they presumably take Kylington).

I could also imagine a scenario where we trade the rights to Bennett/Rittich for them to select the other one in the draft. An Allen/Rittich tandem could make sense...not sure which other goalies they'd look at who are younger than Rittich and NHL ready?
I don't think it makes much sense to give up assets to protect would be 37 year old Giordano who has already shown signs of slowing down.

I could definitely see Seattle having the choice of Giordano, Bennett, Kylington and Rittich and probably going with Gio to be the much needed veteran presence for them that either gets moved at the deadline or maybe gets extended for a year or two.

But giving away Bennett and Kylington just to keep 6.75 million on the books makes pretty much 0 sense
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BigErnSalute_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2021, 02:10 PM   #8942
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who knows what happens as we wind down the season. If the Flames fall out of it, then there's going to be some deadline selling. I suspect only a very few select players are as close to locks as you can get. I believe those are Lindholm, Valimaki , Andersson, Markstrom and Tanev (I want Monahan to be one of them as well but I suspect management will explore options). After that it's get really blurry for me, the winds of change could blow strong through the core.

Whatevers left of the aftermath will likely be the protection list.

And if you're out of it at the deadline it's a HARD race to the bottom as covid protocols won't get any incoming players on the ice any time soon, which is nice because it's audition time for a lot of farm hands.

Last edited by dammage79; 03-11-2021 at 02:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2021, 02:11 PM   #8943
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's going to be very interesting to see who makes the Flames protection list this time around.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:27 PM   #8944
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErnSalute_16 View Post
I don't think it makes much sense to give up assets to protect would be 37 year old Giordano who has already shown signs of slowing down.

I could definitely see Seattle having the choice of Giordano, Bennett, Kylington and Rittich and probably going with Gio to be the much needed veteran presence for them that either gets moved at the deadline or maybe gets extended for a year or two.

But giving away Bennett and Kylington just to keep 6.75 million on the books makes pretty much 0 sense
Not saying it's what I'd do, but I could see the org doing it.

I'd be fine with moving on from Gio one way or the other. I think one question would be who holds more trade value after the ED is complete?

A lot of teams will lose a promising mid 20's D-man, so there could be some market for Kylington (probably a 3rd), but Gio would still be worth more (though likely requiring a contract coming back)
Old 03-11-2021, 03:02 PM   #8945
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously I’m a Gio fan but no way am I spending assets to keep him for 1 year at an overpayment. In fact, given this decline was expected for the life of the contract, I’m of the opinion Seattle is helping me by taking on that last year. And I’m giving him a big video tribute when he returns for his game.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2021, 03:14 PM   #8946
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Obviously I’m a Gio fan but no way am I spending assets to keep him for 1 year at an overpayment. In fact, given this decline was expected for the life of the contract, I’m of the opinion Seattle is helping me by taking on that last year. And I’m giving him a big video tribute when he returns for his game.
Yep, being sentimental is what cost us when the decision was finally made to trade Iginla. It's a great story when a player plays their whole career from one franchise, but I care more about the product than the lore.

It's a little different with Gio than Iginla. Trading Iginla a year or two earlier would have set this franchise up for years. In the end, Iginla wanted to go to a contender anyway and we had to settle for pennies on the dollar. It's a business for the players and loyalty only goes so far.

With Gio, he peaked late but there was always the understanding that despite that, father time catches up to everyone and teams weren't likely to pay a lot. At this point, it would be a cap decision more than a direct asset management decision to let him go. I won't be too worried if we let him ride it out, but I wouldn't want the team to go out of their way for it either.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:29 PM   #8947
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If Bennett is still on the roster (only likely if this ship turns around), I could see a scenario where we trade him to SEA on the condition that they don't draft Gio (hence they presumably take Kylington).

I could also imagine a scenario where we trade the rights to Bennett/Rittich for them to select the other one in the draft. An Allen/Rittich tandem could make sense...not sure which other goalies they'd look at who are younger than Rittich and NHL ready?
What are you smoking? If they can draft Gio from us we should absolutely not prevent that from happening lol.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2021, 03:53 PM   #8948
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Gio is protected in the expansion draft I'm out
Old 03-11-2021, 03:57 PM   #8949
really?
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
This is the objective response. Love the player, character, etc., but he is attached to a 6+ million obligation. If Seattle was to take that obligation, you allow that to happen any day. Vegas was able to do what they did because the league coolectively overvalued experience and undervalued the currency of financial flexibility. There will be a lot of Giordano types for Seattle to ponder, not so many Karlssons, Marchesaults, Tuchs, etc...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to really? For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2021, 04:05 PM   #8950
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Protecting gio or paying price to protect gio from the expansion draft is an absurd notion IMO.

If that happens any faith l have left in Treliving will probably be gone.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2021, 04:20 PM   #8951
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

If the Flames are out of it approaching the deadline, does BT trade Gio to a contender?
Old 03-11-2021, 04:24 PM   #8952
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fivenagame View Post
If the Flames are out of it approaching the deadline, does BT trade Gio to a contender?
It would be good asset management to do it.

Might get a nice little return.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan403 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2021, 04:29 PM   #8953
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Per TSN insiders, the Hurricanes are warming up to the thought of an Eric Steal reunion, while their team is a playoff-caliber team.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2021, 04:30 PM   #8954
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aaron Potzline from the Athletic says that Domi, Grigorenko, and likely Savard are notable names that should be on the trade block.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2021, 05:12 PM   #8955
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
What are you smoking? If they can draft Gio from us we should absolutely not prevent that from happening lol.
We can be 99% sure that neither Bennett nor Rittich will be Flames next year. Absolute best case scenario is you get a 4th or worse for signing rights to either (though I don't think very likely) if they aren't moved before TDL.

Kylington is probably worth about a 3rd.

Gio's value is much harder to drill down. Trading him before this TDL will be tough considering his contract and ED implications (an acquiring team might be happy to lose him to SEA...but they may not want his cap hit next year if he isn't taken).

Post ED or next year's TDL I think you could probably get something like a 2nd+4th+roster player (obviously all depends on cap retention and his performance in the mean time).

I'm just saying that instead of losing Gio, Rittich, and Bennett for nothing and retaining Kylington (who is unlikely to pay immediate dividends and might fetch a 3rd)...you lose Rittich, Bennett (and maybe Kylington), and then trade Gio for a bit more.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:28 PM   #8956
Flamesforever99
Draft Pick

As long as Tre is in charge we're going to be mediocre forever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesforever99 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2021, 05:46 PM   #8957
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We can be 99% sure that neither Bennett nor Rittich will be Flames next year. Absolute best case scenario is you get a 4th or worse for signing rights to either (though I don't think very likely) if they aren't moved before TDL.

Kylington is probably worth about a 3rd.

Gio's value is much harder to drill down. Trading him before this TDL will be tough considering his contract and ED implications (an acquiring team might be happy to lose him to SEA...but they may not want his cap hit next year if he isn't taken).

Post ED or next year's TDL I think you could probably get something like a 2nd+4th+roster player (obviously all depends on cap retention and his performance in the mean time).

I'm just saying that instead of losing Gio, Rittich, and Bennett for nothing and retaining Kylington (who is unlikely to pay immediate dividends and might fetch a 3rd)...you lose Rittich, Bennett (and maybe Kylington), and then trade Gio for a bit more.
You're saying Flames won't be able to extract a stiff price for him?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2021, 06:09 PM   #8958
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

When it comes to his trade value, they probably won't be able to get it up.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:27 PM   #8959
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
When it comes to his trade value, they probably won't be able to get it up.
I would rather he turns into a franchise guy with us. We can erect a statue of him.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:18 PM   #8960
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread