Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 11:48 AM   #8941
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Splintered dressing room, coach Boughner and now this? Tremendous.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:49 AM   #8942
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well everyone and their mother for the last couple years is probably asking him if he's taking off after his contract's done and I imagine he's fed up of fielding the exact same topic.

Its the exact same PR nonsense as him saying in a local Philly radio interview that it'd be cool to play out there.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:49 AM   #8943
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

A high pick is going back to the Wild??? What???? I would think a high pick should be going to the Sharks to take on Dubnyk's contract.

Old 10-01-2020, 11:54 AM   #8944
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Paywall, so I couldnt read it.

Well, it's only a year on his contract so he might waive, go play and continue to live in Minnie (weird).

What kind of health issues are better in Minnie than SJ?
It is more of an issue he doesn't want to uproot his family. They live in the Minnesota area full time. If he goes to SJ by himself, mid school year, his wife is left alone to handle 3 boys by herself while a history of serious medical issues.

The article says he strategically chose to put teams that needed goalie help on his No trade list because he doesn't want to leave.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #8945
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Before I am comfortable stating that Giordano has lost a step or two (albatross is completely absurd), I would actually like to see the team play next season and see how the entire team does.

Did Giordano really lose a step this past season, or was it the same 'issue' that plagued most of the team's scoring? I don't know, but pretty much all the best players seemed to have 'lost a step'. I think whatever it was, Giordano was just affected by it just like everyone else.

I thought Giordano was playing atrocious in the playoffs, UNTIL the last few games. I thought he settled in and was playing as his usual (or at least, almost usual) self back there in the last handful of games. Call it nerves, rust, or just whatever... but I thought Giordano finished the playoffs strong.

I am betting that Giordano will still be Calgary's #1 defencemen this coming season, and not just by default either. I actually have zero worries about him. By the time his contract runs out, he will still be a borderline top pairing defencemen, but hopefully there will be someone to push him down to the 2nd pairing - that would be a good thing, not necessarily a necessity in my mind. I guess the proof will be in the pudding.
It is very hard to rate the Flames playoff performance.

The Jets were missing 2 of their top 4 players.

The Flames played 4 close games with Dallas winning one before they ran out of gas.

Against Dallas the Flames lost their best player.

Dallas turned out to be a better team than advertised and with 20-20 hindsight were built more for the playoffs with 90% of their skaters able to play efficiently in the heavier playoff game.

Their softest d-man (and player) was Heskanien with only 4.27 hits / 60 minutes. There was only Hanifin on the Flames with 6.05 hits / 60 minutes that was above Heskanien. Gio had 2.46 hits/ 60 minutes. and for comparison Olesiak had 12.01 hits/ 60 minutes leading the Stars defense.

Gio had a bad playoffs but had he been on Dallas's defense (maybe as #4) he would have been a lot more physical as part of the gang.

If you are thinking that Gio let the Flames defense down then the same goes for the rest of the guys that did not pick up their physical game to the playoff level.

The Flames missed Hamonic.

Fobort 3.77 hits/60 was #96 out of 144 in defensemen with 4 or more playoff games and Andersson 3.63 hits /60 was #101. These were the biggest d-man hitters after Hanifin.

Gio should not be expected to carry the physical load for the Flames.

They need some more crashers rather than dashers if they expect Gio to play in their top-4 for the next 2 seasons. He is not getting the space he needs to be great like he did when he could play with a physical edge and defend his own space. He has had a lot of injuries in his career and they are taking longer to come back from
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2020, 12:15 PM   #8946
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
It is very hard to rate the Flames playoff performance.

The Jets were missing 2 of their top 4 players.

The Flames played 4 close games with Dallas winning one before they ran out of gas.

Against Dallas the Flames lost their best player.

Dallas turned out to be a better team than advertised and with 20-20 hindsight were built more for the playoffs with 90% of their skaters able to play efficiently in the heavier playoff game.

Their softest d-man (and player) was Heskanien with only 4.27 hits / 60 minutes. There was only Hanifin on the Flames with 6.05 hits / 60 minutes that was above Heskanien. Gio had 2.46 hits/ 60 minutes. and for comparison Olesiak had 12.01 hits/ 60 minutes leading the Stars defense.

Gio had a bad playoffs but had he been on Dallas's defense (maybe as #4) he would have been a lot more physical as part of the gang.

If you are thinking that Gio let the Flames defense down then the same goes for the rest of the guys that did not pick up their physical game to the playoff level.

The Flames missed Hamonic.

Fobort 3.77 hits/60 was #96 out of 144 in defensemen with 4 or more playoff games and Andersson 3.63 hits /60 was #101. These were the biggest d-man hitters after Hanifin.

Gio should not be expected to carry the physical load for the Flames.

They need some more crashers rather than dashers if they expect Gio to play in their top-4 for the next 2 seasons. He is not getting the space he needs to be great like he did when he could play with a physical edge and defend his own space. He has had a lot of injuries in his career and they are taking longer to come back from
Did this actually make sense to everyone else or have i gone mad?
Old 10-01-2020, 12:27 PM   #8947
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
stopped clocks and blind squirrels
Old 10-01-2020, 12:27 PM   #8948
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Has he ever made sense? It isn't you lol.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:30 PM   #8949
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think he is saying that if we had a more physical D-core, then Gio would be free to play his game. Less physical play for Gio would result in less wear and tear. That in turn would make Gio influence play a lot more by using his skating/gap control and so on.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:31 PM   #8950
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryan Donato is a good young player, and Dubnyk is only $4.3M for one year. A second going the other way is probably good value for both teams.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:32 PM   #8951
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Ricardodw necessarily framed the argument the best way, but I do think there is a valid argument to needing at least one physical, big d-man come playoff time. And ideally he doesn't hurt you from a possession perspective.

And I'm not sure if Hamonic really would have helped that. He had the fewest hits of all Flames d-man in the playoffs against Colorado. (2 hits at 5v5 in 5 games).

Really he's not that physical in the regular season either. Here are 5v5 hits per 60 for the Flames d-men for the time Hamonic played here (minimum 1200 minutes TOI).

1) Stone: 5.9
2) Hanifin: 3.5
3) Hamilton: 3.3
4) Hamonic: 2.8
5) Giordano: 2.6
6) Andersson: 2.4
7) Brodie: 0.8

Honestly Hamonic was supposed to bring that physical, shutdown role to the Flames d-men and IMO he failed to deliever that. He averaged more than double the hits/60 in his time with NYI (6.2/60). Just a poor return on that trade.

It's why I'd be okay with them looking at a guy like Radko Gudas in free agency at the right cost. RH D, isn't a black hole from a possession perspective, and plays a physical & mean game. Dylan Demelo too plays quite physical and is RH d-man. Both guys I hope we look at to help shore up our defense in free agency.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-01-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:34 PM   #8952
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can’t Dubnyk just work remotely from Minny?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to DomeFoam For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2020, 12:40 PM   #8953
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Haha OEL will not waive to go to the Oilers

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
Things are believed to be intensifying in Arizona on the OEL front, however, unless something changes, the Oilers have been told they’re not on the short list of teams OEL will waive his trade protection to go to.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:41 PM   #8954
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Prepare yourselves Flames fans...
Old 10-01-2020, 12:43 PM   #8955
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I don't think Ricardodw necessarily framed the argument the best way, but I do think there is a valid argument to needing at least one physical, big d-man come playoff time. And ideally he doesn't hurt you from a possession perspective.

And I'm not sure if Hamonic really would have helped that. He had the fewest hits of all Flames d-man in the playoffs against Colorado. (2 hits at 5v5 in 5 games).

Really he's not that physical in the regular season either. Here are 5v5 hits per 60 for the Flames d-men for the time Hamonic played here (minimum 1200 minutes TOI).

1) Stone: 5.9
2) Hanifin: 3.5
3) Hamilton: 3.3
4) Hamonic: 2.8
5) Giordano: 2.6
6) Andersson: 2.4
7) Brodie: 0.8

Honestly Hamonic was supposed to bring that physical, shutdown role to the Flames d-men and IMO he failed to deliever that. Just a poor return on that trade.

It's why I'd be okay with them looking at a guy like Radko Gudas in free agency at the right cost. RH D, isn't a black hole from a possession perspective, and plays a physical & mean game.
More than one. Dallas had 7 that played harder than all but Hanifin.

It is a lot easier being part of a gang and not get targeted after the first hit you make. Hamonic was a different player after he stood up to Gudbranson and had his face broken. When he did this he was the Flames best "nuclear" option.

It is okay to have Gio play a non-contact game as one of the oldest players in the league but he won't succeed as Grandpa smurf.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:44 PM   #8956
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, Edmonton. You just can't overcome E=NG
Old 10-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #8957
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ahah, even with McAvi and Raisaitl, players still don't wanna play for em.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #8958
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was really hoping OEL would end up in Edmonton. Please don't end up here.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #8959
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
I think he is saying that if we had a more physical D-core, then Gio would be free to play his game. Less physical play for Gio would result in less wear and tear. That in turn would make Gio influence play a lot more by using his skating/gap control and so on.
Correct except that Gio has given up any physical play. His team does not create the space and situations required for him to play his best game.

No one at all slows down or hesitates going hard into a corner in the Flames end with Brodie and Gio on the ice together.

Last edited by ricardodw; 10-01-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:49 PM   #8960
Pickle Juice
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The silence is killing me! Every time I open this thread and see that SureLoss has posted something I get excited! There has been nothing about the flames except that we're in on everyone. This is so typical of BT, that I have become desensitized. Does anyone on hear have some friend of a friend info the can give out?
The Following User Says Thank You to Pickle Juice For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread