Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 03:25 PM   #8841
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Conversations with my 5 and 3 year old children today about the election were pretty funny. We explained why we were voting for Joe Biden and they said they would vote for Biden too if they could, for whatever that's worth.

My son said he would never vote for Donald Trumpet. I'm calling him that from now on. When I told him that he could be president one day and then asked if he would like that he said, "No, it sounds like a lot of work and it would probably give me a sore throat." Pretty astute.

I asked my 3 year old daughter if she wants to be president one day and her first response was "yeah, I want a present". Then I asked her again after explaining and she said "no, I think it would make me throw up."

Hard to argue with any of that.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:58 PM   #8842
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post

You shall have no other gods before Me.
You shall make no idols.
You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
Keep the Sabbath day holy
The political polarization we face is in no small part due to idolatry and the worship of false gods. That’s not hard to see. Maybe it’s as simple as “I’m the only God and if you disagree I’ll smack you” but it’s not so impossible to read it more as “believe in something or you’ll fall for anything”.

We’ve got thousands of years of examples of people claiming to be God. Usually it’s because they want your money, they want your soul, or they want to #### a member of your family. Possibly all three. It’s not like it isn’t something that’s worth warning about.

If you want to read the blasphemy commandment as a literal injunction against free speech, you can, but it sure looks to me like the first three commandments deal with the idea that there should be something in your world that is sacred, that you have the utmost respect and care for, and that there is value in having that in your life.

Keep the Sabbath holy - well, this just means don’t work yourself to death. You can be fundamentalist about it if you want, but that’s your choice. A commandment from on high to take a little time for yourself each week and remember all the good things in your life. That’s not exactly encroaching on your freedom.

A religion is not a legal code. A religion is a philosophy, a world view. Without getting too evangelical, if you:

-have one God upon which to focus your metaphysical eye
-are sufficiently skeptical all of the charlatans on your television and radio
-are able to view the world through a lens that incorporates the sacred and the transcendent
-know how to take time for yourself
-have a good relationship with your parents (and by extension, a good relationship with your children)
-recognize the value inherent to human life
-don’t have extramarital affairs
-don’t steal
-don’t spend all your time worrying about what your neighbour has

If you do all of those things reasonably well, I can envision you getting along with most people you’ll encounter throughout your life.

Nothing about that is controversial. Or at least, it shouldn’t be.

I say all of this as someone who hasn’t been to Church since Benedict wore the big hat.
Old 11-02-2020, 04:26 PM   #8843
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is John Kasich the only decent Republican left in the country?
Old 11-02-2020, 04:27 PM   #8844
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Romney voted to convict - that’s something.
Old 11-02-2020, 04:44 PM   #8845
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
No.

Will Hurd is a pretty decent guy.

Not a fan of all of his positions, but he is an honest, moral person who truly cares about the US.
Old 11-02-2020, 04:50 PM   #8846
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Conversations with my 5 and 3 year old children today about the election were pretty funny. We explained why we were voting for Joe Biden and they said they would vote for Biden too if they could, for whatever that's worth.

My son said he would never vote for Donald Trumpet. I'm calling him that from now on. When I told him that he could be president one day and then asked if he would like that he said, "No, it sounds like a lot of work and it would probably give me a sore throat." Pretty astute.

I asked my 3 year old daughter if she wants to be president one day and her first response was "yeah, I want a present". Then I asked her again after explaining and she said "no, I think it would make me throw up."

Hard to argue with any of that.
This post wins the thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iowa_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 04:52 PM   #8847
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Larry Hogan of Maryland is another
Old 11-02-2020, 05:30 PM   #8848
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Mike Murphy, not an elected republican, but one of their best political consultants. According to his Wiki he's "lead campaign teams to victory in more than forty races, including multiple Senate and Gubernatorial victories in California, Michigan, Florida, Iowa, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, South Dakota, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Idaho, Washington state and New Jersey." And he worked on both Bush the First campaigns as well as McCain and Romney campaigns.

He's wildly anti-trump, is one of the two key voices of the Hacks On Tap podcast (with David Axelrod) and one of the founding members of the Republican Voters Against Trump PAC.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:00 PM   #8849
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Larry Hogan of Maryland is another
He voted for Ronald Reagan this year, I would be a little concerned about his lucidity.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:26 PM   #8850
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette endorses a Republican for the first time since 1972. And as you know PA is key.

https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion...s/202010310021

Old 11-02-2020, 06:26 PM   #8851
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
He voted for Ronald Reagan this year, I would be a little concerned about his lucidity.
It's a pretty low bar
Old 11-02-2020, 06:27 PM   #8852
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette endorses a Republican for the first time since 1972. And as you know PA is key.

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, also known simply as the PG, is the largest newspaper serving metropolitan Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Descended from the Pittsburgh Gazette, established in 1786 as the first newspaper published west of the Allegheny Mountains, the paper has existed under its present title since 1927.

It ended daily print publication in 2018 and currently puts out print editions only three days a week, going online-only the rest of the week. In 2018, the editorial tone of the paper shifted from liberal to conservative after the editorial pages of the paper were consolidated with the The Blade of Toledo, Ohio. After the consolidation, Keith Burris, the pro-Trump editorial page editor of The Blade, directed the editorial pages of both papers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Post-Gazette
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 06:30 PM   #8853
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This was posted on the weekend and like some had said the last Republican for them to support was none other than..... Richard Nixon. Great track record of support for hot garbage candidates on the right.

Why anyone would feel compelled to ‘endorse’ this clown is beyond me anymore; it’s just becoming supremely disappointing to read stuff like that. Political leanings aside do Americans who are or are considering to vote for this man/party not realize what is actually at stake here?? Honest question because it seems that they don’t. Anything short of a blue wave down there has me baffled.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 07:01 PM   #8854
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:

The top grocery store chain in the region stopped putting the Post Gazette on its shelves over the summer because of intensely biased coverage of the George Floyd/BLM protests, which included them taking a pair of celebrated journalists of color off of the story. They also made news in recent years, firing an award-winning editorial cartoonist after he was critical of Trump.

This is not a reputable organization any longer.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 07:03 PM   #8855
Chonger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Imagine being someone that believes garbage like this. They exist, and they’re out there, somewhere.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1323319408530513922
"Bidens gonna take away your house keys!! You wont be able to get back into your homes!!" VOTE TRUMP

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2020, 07:05 PM   #8856
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Didn't know that, at least he sent a statement to Trump, although a better statement would have been voting for Obama
Old 11-02-2020, 07:05 PM   #8857
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonger View Post
"Bidens gonna take away your house keys!! You wont be able to get back into your homes!!" VOTE TRUMP

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
It’s well known that Biden is in the pocket of “big locksmiths”.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iowa_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 07:06 PM   #8858
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

As posted over the weekend, Not surprising. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is a story of corporate interference and the slide toward tabloid journalism. They were once a well respected paper, having won numerous Pulitzer Prizes over their history. They installed a Trumpist as the editor after the 2016 election and reporting was then skewed to favor Trump. It got so bad that they suffered from their good reporters moving on, others being fired, including their Pulitzer Prize winning political cartoonist, and then even restricting coverage of recent events like the BLM protests. Anything that could make Trump look bad was either buried or left out of their coverage. They have become the OANN of print journalism.

For those keeping score, this only Trump's ninth newspaper endorsement. These include the Sheldon Adelson owned Las Vegas Review-Journal, the Rupert Murdoch owned New York Post, the Phillip Anschutz owned Colorado Springs Gazette and Washington Examiner, The Cowles family owned Spokane The Spokesman Review, the Wendy McCaw owned Santa Barbara News Press (also the editor), the William Pape owned Waterbury Republican-American (also the editor), and the Digital First Media owned Boston Herald. That is a murder's row of ideological editorializing and the rapid decay of journalistic integrity in the industry.

For comparison, Biden has the endorsement of 105 print edition papers. McClatchy, one of the largest and most influential chains in the nation has not made an endorsement because of newly instituted rules for making endorsements. McClatcy will only allow endorsements if the candidates are willing to be interviewed by the editorial board. Donald Trump does not give interviews to local papers and as a result the papers are not allowed to give their endorsement, which last cycle went to Clinton, with the exception of the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram who endorsed "not Trump."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 07:12 PM   #8859
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Nate Silver

Quote:
I’m Here To Remind You That Trump Can Still Win
Essentially the same headline he wrote for the last election. Trump can win this election without shenanigans.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...can-still-win/

A slightly larger than average correlated polling error and trump is in the White house
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 07:27 PM   #8860
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Romney then voted to confirm the partisan hack judge that Trump nominated to the supreme court. One would think that if someone was unfit to be president, they would be unfit to select a lifetime appointment to the highest court, but maybe that's just me
Closed Thread