Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2023, 09:26 PM   #8821
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Like, there’s the anger-inducing ‘why the #### are you driving 50 down here’ losers
Because that's the speed limit for the road, and I am a capable and competent driver.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2023, 09:29 PM   #8822
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
It really GMG when people pretend they can tell the difference between 40 and 50 standing in their living room or on the sidewalk with their arms crossed and a stick up their asses.

I got honked at and yelled at by some old cow driving the other direction while I was doing 30 in a playground zone... for 'speeding'. My former community's Facebook group was full of senile idiots who swore up and down that people were speeding through the neighbourhood, but when someone finally got a speed trap set up, they caught ... zero speeders. I remember this distinctly because it was on the news and I found it f--king hilarious.

People are generally sh-t at judging vehicle speed, there's a reason police use speed measurement devices. Your camera will do nothing but raise your blood pressure.
This really is why a lower residential speed limit should be considered. The perception of speed and how it interferes with the pedestrian domain is significant even at 30-40km.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2023, 09:33 PM   #8823
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
This really is why a lower residential speed limit should be considered. The perception of speed and how it interferes with the pedestrian domain is significant even at 30-40km.
We should create a task force to deal with zombies. The risk of zombies is quite low, yes, but the perception of the risk of zombies is at an all-time high.

Also, no.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2023, 12:40 AM   #8824
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
No it isn’t, and this is dumb,
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2023, 10:09 AM   #8825
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The perception of speed and how it interferes with the pedestrian domain is significant even at 30-40km.
What is your definition of “pedestrian domain”? To me this is sidewalks and crosswalks. Kids should not be playing in the street if there is any “volume” of traffic, and putting out a “Slow! Kids playing” sign doesn’t turn a residential street into a park.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 10:50 AM   #8826
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
What is your definition of “pedestrian domain”? To me this is sidewalks and crosswalks. Kids should not be playing in the street if there is any “volume” of traffic, and putting out a “Slow! Kids playing” sign doesn’t turn a residential street into a park.
Absolutely but kids being kids don't always pay attention.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 12:58 PM   #8827
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
My mom has had a really hard time since I moved away when I was 21. Her entire identity was wrapped up in being "James' mom", so when mothering me was no longer necessary, she tried to do it long-distance; over the phone, e-mail, lettermail, whatever. When it was clear that wasn't workable, it really took a toll on her, and it got even worse while I was married to my ex. It got so bad to the point that -- to try and fill the void -- my parents took in a foster kid. It lasted about nine months (they fostered a teenage girl having only ever raised a boy -- oops). To this day, it's still tough for her, even though she has my cousins' kids to play with, it was like a part of her identity disappeared, and it's why I've pledged to visit my folks more often.

I tell you that story to tell you this: imagine that for 17 years now, my mom is still struggling with not primarily being a mom, and parents today can't even watch their kids long enough to the point that they're perpetually terrified the little idiots are going to run into the street. If only those restaurant host robots could be repurposed to parent. It would be like Rosie from the Jetsons. Or maybe we just need to duct tape an iPad to a Boston Dynamics Spot, or a Roomba for a budget option. Hey, it'll even vacuum the lawn!
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 01:12 PM   #8828
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
No, this is very true, but I've been banging the drum of 'we need to breed better pedestrians' for a long time now.

My parents taught me 'street safety' and we learned it in school, do they still do that?

I think as we go along we are losing our common sense regarding street safety.

Sure, even then kids will be kids, the little maniacs lose their minds from time to time, but even if you can drum in just a couple things:

1. Never run into the street

2. Never....EVER...go into the street from between 2 parked cars.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2023, 01:39 PM   #8829
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s a reasonable opinion but I disagree. The residential streets that are currently 40 are for people and children and hockey nets with the occasional vehicle going down them.

Part of this is changing street design to make them narrower with more limited parking
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2023, 02:10 PM   #8830
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Because that's the speed limit for the road, and I am a capable and competent driver.
No it isn’t. Most residential roads are 40. And playground zones are 30. So in neighbourhood, bounded by parks, schools, and residences, if you’re going 50 you’re a jackass.
Old 07-30-2023, 03:23 PM   #8831
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
My mom has had a really hard time since I moved away when I was 21. Her entire identity was wrapped up in being "James' mom", so when mothering me was no longer necessary, she tried to do it long-distance; over the phone, e-mail, lettermail, whatever. When it was clear that wasn't workable, it really took a toll on her, and it got even worse while I was married to my ex. It got so bad to the point that -- to try and fill the void -- my parents took in a foster kid. It lasted about nine months (they fostered a teenage girl having only ever raised a boy -- oops). To this day, it's still tough for her, even though she has my cousins' kids to play with, it was like a part of her identity disappeared, and it's why I've pledged to visit my folks more often.

I tell you that story to tell you this: imagine that for 17 years now, my mom is still struggling with not primarily being a mom, and parents today can't even watch their kids long enough to the point that they're perpetually terrified the little idiots are going to run into the street. If only those restaurant host robots could be repurposed to parent. It would be like Rosie from the Jetsons. Or maybe we just need to duct tape an iPad to a Boston Dynamics Spot, or a Roomba for a budget option. Hey, it'll even vacuum the lawn!
So, no kids?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 04:02 PM   #8832
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Sure, even then kids will be kids, the little maniacs lose their minds from time to time, but even if you can drum in just a couple things:

1. Never run into the street

2. Never....EVER...go into the street from between 2 parked cars.
Some need harder lessons. I was one of them. Parents constantly told us to watch both ways, make eye contact with the driver, etc. but above all your the first line of defence in your own safety. I got complacent on our quiet street and tore out of the driveway into the street on my Green Machine (coolest toy ever) and almost got smoked by a car. Fortunately he stopped in time. Turned out to be a police officer coming to see the chief who lived on our street. He gave me a pleasant talking to about what I did, then walked me to the door to explain what happened to my Mom. That didn’t end up as pleasant after he left. Needless to say, that was the lesson that finally drilled home the need to be aware. Parents didn’t advocate for lower speeds. I was an idiot and was going to learn one way or another.

I would like to think that lesson has saved me countless times in the future. I don’t have my head down texting at cross walks, I still look both ways, make eye contact, etc. I’m in charge of my safety. The world should not be bubble wrapped to save us from becoming self aware.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2023, 04:09 PM   #8833
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Some need harder lessons. I was one of them. Parents constantly told us to watch both ways, make eye contact with the driver, etc. but above all your the first line of defence in your own safety. I got complacent on our quiet street and tore out of the driveway into the street on my Green Machine (coolest toy ever) and almost got smoked by a car. Fortunately he stopped in time. Turned out to be a police officer coming to see the chief who lived on our street. He gave me a pleasant talking to about what I did, then walked me to the door to explain what happened to my Mom. That didn’t end up as pleasant after he left. Needless to say, that was the lesson that finally drilled home the need to be aware. Parents didn’t advocate for lower speeds. I was an idiot and was going to learn one way or another.

I would like to think that lesson has saved me countless times in the future. I don’t have my head down texting at cross walks, I still look both ways, make eye contact, etc. I’m in charge of my safety. The world should not be bubble wrapped to save us from becoming self aware.
I've complained about this a lot, I know its harder now with cell phones and headphones, etc.

But I live sandwiched between a Jr. High and an Elementary school so I'm hyper-aware at all times because you just never know, but we need to teach...not just kids, but everyone, how to be good pedestrians.

Because giving pedestrians the uncontested 'right of way' is stupid. It makes it so people think they can just walk into the street and traffic will magically stop because 'they have the right of way.'

Well being 'right' is small consolation when you're in the hospital in traction or dead.

This is not a one-way deal, no motorist wants to hit a pedestrian and no pedestrian wants to get hit by a car, but everyone has to do their bit.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2023, 05:26 PM   #8834
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I've complained about this a lot, I know its harder now with cell phones and headphones, etc.

But I live sandwiched between a Jr. High and an Elementary school so I'm hyper-aware at all times because you just never know, but we need to teach...not just kids, but everyone, how to be good pedestrians.

Because giving pedestrians the uncontested 'right of way' is stupid. It makes it so people think they can just walk into the street and traffic will magically stop because 'they have the right of way.'

Well being 'right' is small consolation when you're in the hospital in traction or dead.

This is not a one-way deal, no motorist wants to hit a pedestrian and no pedestrian wants to get hit by a car, but everyone has to do their bit.
When I first moved into the my house 55 years ago, I think I took every kid on the street and taught them how to cross the road properly.

I recall a young 3 year old come running out between parked cars, right in front of me as I was driving along, forcing me to jam my foot on the breaks. It was right in front of the kids house, and I took the time to stop, and take him to his mother and explain what had happened. Hopefully, it did some good.

Ever since, I have been super aware of what is happening on the other side of parked cars. I think more of this will be happening with time, if the developers continue to get their way in changing the zoning laws, and we end up getting the continuous lines of parked cars, on both sides of the street, throughout the neighborhoods. I think for neighborhoods, where this has already happened, they will have to lower the speed limit to 30 kph to sufficiently lower the risk.

Last edited by flamesfever; 07-30-2023 at 07:16 PM.
flamesfever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 08:58 PM   #8835
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brendone and flamesfever met in real life.

I would love to see a ban on street parking for residents and it only to be used for guests and development can accommodate cars.
Old 07-30-2023, 10:53 PM   #8836
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

They should actually make it so nobody can park on the street and visitors can pick any driveway they want and park there.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 08:29 AM   #8837
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Microsoft
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 08:30 AM   #8838
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Microsoft
OK, that's enough about your problems in the bedroom.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 12:49 PM   #8839
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Five young guys from my parents' church killed in a plane crash in Kananaskis on the weekend (and a sixth from another church). I guess it doesn't grind my gears so much as make me sad at such a horrible tragedy. One couple they know lost both their sons. I texted my close friend who also attended there and one of the victims was his future brother-in-law.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2023, 12:57 PM   #8840
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Five young guys from my parents' church killed in a plane crash in Kananaskis on the weekend (and a sixth from another church). I guess it doesn't grind my gears so much as make me sad at such a horrible tragedy. One couple they know lost both their sons. I texted my close friend who also attended there and one of the victims was his future brother-in-law.
I'm so sorry for these losses, and for what everyone is going through. Such devastation. I have a cousin that goes to the Rockpointe Church, I'll have to check in with her. I just saw a Go-Fund-Me for one of the men who died. Had a young baby. So awful.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote