Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2017, 09:45 PM   #861
CampbellsTransgressions
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just wait until you see his "puck playing ability".
CampbellsTransgressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:49 PM   #862
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellsTransgressions View Post
Uhh, I hate to burst your bubble friend, but I'm pretty sure everyone has already seen Mike Smith play. You aren't spoiling any surprises.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 09:55 PM   #863
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

No kidding.

Thanks tips.

Even Treliving joked today that it's going to scare the hell out of you at times, but overall it's a benefit to have a goalie that can ruin a dump and chase by getting to pucks and making an outlet or breakout pass.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:56 PM   #864
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If tre honestly believes that our young goalies are going to play in the league in the next couple seasons it makes no sense to shell out a bunch of good assets to bring in a youngish proven starter or overpay anyone in free agency. If we get even a league average couple seasons from Smith then he's done his job. Armchair speculation that he's going to fall off a cliff because he hit the age of 35 is pretty silly.

We had bad goaltending two years ago, bad goaltending for half of last year and the playoffs, give the guy a shot to at least be average. I notice a lot of the people who are complaining about not brining in a sure bet are the same people who complain quite frequently that the flames don't give prospects a fair chance.

You can't have both.
Jimdon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimdon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #865
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

He apparently passes like a defenseman which is pretty cool.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:59 PM   #866
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Still a bit "meh" on this deal. A lot of goaltender fluidity in the league this year. Would've liked to have seen a deal acquiring an emerging young Number One. Like a Kiprusoff sort of thing. A guy in his twilight holding the fort? I think Treliving could have done better. I'm not impressed on his goaltending acquisition record. Smith could implode the same way Elliot did. I'm skeptical.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 10:05 PM   #867
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Every adequate/passable goalie....

There's nothing to "agree to disagree" on. You are literally wiping out what has happened over the last ~decade on the ice and making your opinion based on height.

Halak has performed in the regular season:

he is a perennial shutout producer:

and he has performed in the postseason:

He has stolen entire playoff series despite you outright claiming he doesn't steal games. He's consistently played behind some pretty bad teams (Montreal, Islanders, really?) too.

This isn't about who the Flames should acquire - we already acquired Smith. But you are simply making up facts about Halak that are untrue because he doesn't fit your "idea" of what is needed to be good (height).

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 06-17-2017 at 10:08 PM.
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:08 PM   #868
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Treliving, for all his acumen, still has a dodgy record when it comes to goaltenders.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:18 PM   #869
cznTiburon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

and he has performed in the postseason:

).
It's crazy to see hiller so high on that list after how bad he was last time we saw him
cznTiburon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:22 PM   #870
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cznTiburon View Post
It's crazy to see hiller so high on that list after how bad he was last time we saw him
It's just as crazy to see MAF so low on that list after how good he was the last time we saw him in the playoffs.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:28 PM   #871
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellsTransgressions View Post
That's what I'm most worried about. He isn't as good at playing the puck as he thinks and makes so many mistakes. Some will say because he plays the puck so much, he's bound to make mistakes but I'd rather he not play the puck if he's going to be so risky and make so many mistakes. Just in the last two seasons mike smith has gifted the Flames at least 4 goals.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:30 PM   #872
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cznTiburon View Post
That probably tells you all you need to know about a list with stats that start 8 years ago.
Jimdon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimdon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 10:34 PM   #873
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 10:50 PM   #874
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mike Smith is probably the best you are going to get minutes before midnight when everyone at the party knows you just dumped your partner and have to leave with someone else.

What we need is some stability in net for a while, so we can either develop our own starter or poach an unknown from another system.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:51 PM   #875
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
oh, haha, it looks like i'm saying the flames will be a lottery team.

No, I'm inquiring about the perceived value of a 2nd round pick in next years draft.

TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:52 PM   #876
Hoop27
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'll try and explain the tradeoffs of the puck handling as someone who did it A LOT It's a true risk/reward style and I'll break down the in game risk/reward as opposed to bring up helping your D getting smacked too much (which is valuable)

#1 The obvious risk is you are going to give up bad goals playing the puck that much. It's something you have to accept. So you have to make playing the puck a better percentage play than leaving the puck alone.

#2 When I was doing this I would prevent about 5 SOG's per game simply by handling dump-in's etc. In the NHL that number is on average around 3 SOG's per game so lets go with that.

#3 You take your 3 SOG and multiply by game played. We'll say 60 for a nice round number. Giving us 180 shots against we didn't have to face by playing the puck.

#4 Now if we faced those shots and say 15 go in that gives us a .917 save % on those shots we have played. Which is around high average.

#5 Now how many goals does Mike Smith let in on average per season on bad puck handling gaffes? I'd say 1 out of every 5 games it'll happen once. (Probably not that high but I like easy numbers)

#6 So based on his 60 games he'll give up 12 goals as opposed to the 15 before making the 'playing the puck save %' a .933 save % so it's a little better but it helps.

#7 Add to that he will get some points from assists that aren't cheap points. Every one of those should count against the bad goal total but we won't add those and just acknowledge that yes he will generate the occasional piece of offense.

At the end of the day that style of play is completely based around allowing fewer chances and goals simply by killing the play before it starts. Sometimes it isn't pretty but if you can handle the puck the numbers will generally end up in your favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
That's what I'm most worried about. He isn't as good at playing the puck as he thinks and makes so many mistakes. Some will say because he plays the puck so much, he's bound to make mistakes but I'd rather he not play the puck if he's going to be so risky and make so many mistakes. Just in the last two seasons mike smith has gifted the Flames at least 4 goals.
Hoop27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:04 PM   #877
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I've seen Smith play Vezina nominee type goaltending for a mediocre team.

Mike Smith has NEVER been nominated for the Vezina Trophy
Old 06-17-2017, 11:17 PM   #878
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Right. Because everyone who disagrees with you is only saying so out of fear of… of what exactly? That some anonymous yahoos on the Internet will hurt their widdle feewings? Oh, the humanity!

Good grief.

That's not what I said at all. Many aren't saying how bad they think the trade s because they don't wanna get ganged up on, this is fact because I was told this from people i personally know on here who i text with. We aren't all "anonymous yahoos" on the Internet here. The vast majority here all live in Calgary and many of us know each other personally or know each other in passing from the Saddledome, Shanks and sports collectible shows, ebay dealings etc.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:20 PM   #879
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Wonder how you guys will feel about him when he's flopping around the ice.
Because Vancouver is so good at goaltender management. Go on...
Old 06-17-2017, 11:22 PM   #880
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyBilko View Post
That's not what I said at all. Many aren't saying how bad they think the trade s because they don't wanna get ganged up on, this is fact because I was told this from people i personally know on here who i text with. We aren't all "anonymous yahoos" on the Internet here. The vast majority here all live in Calgary and many of us know each other personally or know each other in passing from the Saddledome, Shanks and sports collectible shows, ebay dealings etc.
They really shouldn't be afraid to voice their opinion on a Flames message board ! I think it will be ok !

The whole point is to have opposing viewpoints.

I honestly don't know how anyone could be afraid to post an opinion!
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post: