Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2024, 03:54 PM   #8741
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Mean Girls is on the list. Love that movie, too.

Oh and another one I absolutely love is Princess Switch. I can't believe I forgot it. Love that movie. AND 13 Going on 30 - awesome as well. Seen it a million times.

I hate all the Mad Maxes. They're stupid AF and make no fkn sense. Just seems like a bunch of drama geeks dressed in dirty clothes and acting cRaZy and HaRdCoRe. Terrible movies. Terrible plots.
F you. Fury Road is a masterpiece. Agree with Kill Bill and Run Lola Run though.

One movie that I haven't thought about for a while that I loved was Go!

That was a fun movie.

Also City of God (Cidade de Deus). That was unreal. No idea if it holds up.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 03:56 PM   #8742
Scooter
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Thumbs up Movies

Netflix Mending The Line
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 04:09 PM   #8743
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm aware, don't worry.
I dunno man, I find your posts more interesting than a lot of this thread, which in between major releases gets a lot of "Ah yes, I watched *insert really old movie for cinephiles* and it was exquisite, a true avant garde tour de france of filmmaking"
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 04:36 PM   #8744
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
American Fiction was definitely the best in the past year and maybe the best in the past couple for me. I give it an enthusiastic 10/10, and I never rate anything so high. Usually find tons to hate...I'm just wired that way, although you probably wouldn't guess that based on the positivity in most of my posts.

It was exceptional and if you haven't seen it you really should. I loved every second of it.
I saw it, and I agree with full throated support. It's a great film. I just find it funny that certain films rub you the wrong way, even when many, many others find them to be exceptional films.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 05:00 PM   #8745
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The last two movies I watched featured a woman with the mind of a child and a child with the mind of a woman. Full reviews to come!

I am super curious how Sliver is willing to walk out of a theatre for a movie he seemingly paid for and planned as a date with his wife, yet will sit through 140 minutes of “the worst movie ever made” while sitting at home with plenty of other things to do.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:01 PM   #8746
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I saw it, and I agree with full throated support. It's a great film. I just find it funny that certain films rub you the wrong way, even when many, many others find them to be exceptional films.
It's because I don't like women, apparently.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 05:05 PM   #8747
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
The last two movies I watched featured a woman with the mind of a child and a child with the mind of a woman. Full reviews to come!

I am super curious how Sliver is willing to walk out of a theatre for a movie he seemingly paid for and planned as a date with his wife, yet will sit through 140 minutes of “the worst movie ever made” while sitting at home with plenty of other things to do.
My wife's the same as me. On the Godzilla one there was some line by some cliche character...picture something to the effect of a guy talking about King Kong or something, then saying 'he's right behind me, isn't he?'. That line didn't happen, but it was that quality of movie. We both just looked at each other and spun our fingers like you do when you're water skiing and want to head back to shore. We popped up and left and did other things. So we were still just hanging out, but not watching some lame movie is all.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:56 PM   #8748
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
OMG, was that you who leveled the misogyny charge against me a week or so ago? That's wild. You actually meant it, eh? Weird. If you go through this thread you'll see me hate on a ton of movies. A female lead is irrelevant.

Some movies I enjoyed that were really good with a female lead:
  • Kill Bill
  • Wonder Woman
  • Hunger Games Trilogy (books were better, of course)
  • Run Lola Run
  • Legally Blonde
  • Rogue One
  • Where the Crawdads Sing
  • Silence of the Lambs
  • Misery
  • Fargo
  • Mean Girls
  • I, Tonya
  • V for Vendetta
  • Juno
  • Megan

I mean, I could go on forever. And that doesn't even touch on the bazillion movies that have equal play for a lead male/female situation.

Like, dude, this is a really weird accusation to throw out there...twice even. haha, just so strange.
Fair enough! My apologies
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 08:11 PM   #8749
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I dunno man, I find your posts more interesting than a lot of this thread, which in between major releases gets a lot of "Ah yes, I watched *insert really old movie for cinephiles* and it was exquisite, a true avant garde tour de france of filmmaking"
You marvel star wars trek dorks have a whole thread. Why you complain about this one.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 08:45 PM   #8750
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Fair enough! My apologies
Haha all good, dude. You did give me pause for thought and I went back and read each and every post I've made in here to double check. I am confident I'm not a misogynist.

I mentioned what you said to my wife and she reminded me of a bunch of my favourite shows. Yellowjackets was my favourite tv show of last year and it's basically an all-female cast.

The only Star Trek series I ever got into was Voyager because Janeway was such a bad ass.

Latest season of True Detective had two female leads and it was awesome.

The biggest one, though, is the best boss I ever had was a female. She was my boss for five years and I truly believe she should run for prime minister. She's the smartest, raddest, quickest-thinking person I've ever known. I've told her if she ever decides to take a run at it I'll sell my business and be her aid. I'd see it as my civic duty.

Also the father to an amazing 18 year old girl (woman now?) who I refer to as little miss perfect.

But for real, feel free to call me out if you see something like that that gets your Spidey senses tingling. I'd be ashamed to be anti-woman or come across that way.

Edit: also loved the show Wednesday last year

Last edited by Sliver; 04-03-2024 at 08:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 09:05 PM   #8751
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just food for thought, but it seems as though you tend to like women in roles who have masculine qualities. Perhaps you should actually seek out some films with female roles that actually are quite feminine?

Last edited by Cali Panthers Fan; 04-03-2024 at 09:13 PM.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 09:19 PM   #8752
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Just food for thought, but it seems as though you tend to like women in roles who have masculine qualities. Perhaps you should actually seek out some films with female roles that actually are quite feminine?
Haha omg am I being trolled? Princess Switch, Totally Killer and 13 Going on 30 star women in masculine roles? Mean Girls? Wild with Reese Witherspoon?

Honestly, I'm not uncertain here. I'm not a misogynist. This whole thing is crazy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 09:44 PM   #8753
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
To be fair those posts are 99% from that Trent guy
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 09:48 PM   #8754
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Also, can you explain to me why you think a leadership role (say, Janeway in Star Trek) or a heroic role is masculine? Have you considered that it's your bias to think women in heroic or leadership roles are masculine? Why can't a woman be in a strong role and it just be as simple as a strong female character (of mind, body or both...think Sarah Conor) is the lead in a story? Why if she is strong do you consider her to be masculine?

I think we have identified some misogyny here, but it's not me who needs to reflect lol.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 10:41 PM   #8755
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
this would be a great one to watch...if it was actually possible to watch it right now
RIGHT?!

It causes me an inordinate amount of anger that I still cannot watch the movie... and it's my own fault for not paying attention. "It'll still be playing next week...". Nope.

I've almost downloaded a cam of it several times.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:11 AM   #8756
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I know it's Marvel and an overdone superhero movie genre, but man I love Captain Marvel. Its one of my favourites in the entire MCU. I love how utterly badass and powerful she is, I love the cheesy self-discovery story line, and I love how she just takes no crap from anyone. Watched it again last night and now I want to re-watch all the Avengers movies.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 02:16 AM   #8757
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThief View Post
To be fair those posts are 99% from that Trent guy
Flattered, but I'm just not that sophisticated, nor is my taste independent enough (pun not intended). I thought I was perhaps a B-grade cinephile until I read some of the reviews in this thread. Apparently I'm not even close lol.

But I'm glad you classify me as the "tour de france" type by default.

Self-esteem bumped.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 07:32 AM   #8758
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha all good, dude. You did give me pause for thought and I went back and read each and every post I've made in here to double check. I am confident I'm not a misogynist.

I mentioned what you said to my wife and she reminded me of a bunch of my favourite shows. Yellowjackets was my favourite tv show of last year and it's basically an all-female cast.

The only Star Trek series I ever got into was Voyager because Janeway was such a bad ass.

Latest season of True Detective had two female leads and it was awesome.

The biggest one, though, is the best boss I ever had was a female. She was my boss for five years and I truly believe she should run for prime minister. She's the smartest, raddest, quickest-thinking person I've ever known. I've told her if she ever decides to take a run at it I'll sell my business and be her aid. I'd see it as my civic duty.

Also the father to an amazing 18 year old girl (woman now?) who I refer to as little miss perfect.

But for real, feel free to call me out if you see something like that that gets your Spidey senses tingling. I'd be ashamed to be anti-woman or come across that way.

Edit: also loved the show Wednesday last year
All good - I think I overreacted for sure. The seed began to grow on your analysis of the new Indiana Jones movie (something that I did not watch as honestly it's not my thing). But you kind of went out and said you didn't like the main character because she wasn't 'hot enough' Phoebe Waller-Bridge is a funny comedian (at least to me) so I kind of took that the wrong way. However it wouldn't surprise me that the movie itself was junk.
But then you said Emma Stone has BO prior to watching poor things.. which I'm not sure you'd personally verified! So it's kind of the way you went about diminishing these actresses that led me on that train of thought. Maybe it's a british thing?

Last edited by calumniate; 04-04-2024 at 07:35 AM.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 08:51 AM   #8759
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are we really at the point in a "recommend movie" thread where posters have to justify why they don't like movies that may have female leads? Sheesh.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2024, 08:56 AM   #8760
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Are we really at the point in a "recommend movie" thread where posters have to justify why they don't like movies that may have female leads? Sheesh.
That's not even in the top 5000 stupid things we argue about.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote