Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 03:00 PM   #8721
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Out of the bunch, I would sell high on Brodie, as I think we could get the most for him compared to the others.
The Following User Says Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #8722
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
Did Vegas take anyone 37+ in their expansion draft? Seems like a bit of a waste to be honest...I.cant see of happening to gamble on a old defebsemsn who is likely to face increasing injury/fatigue concerns.
They signed a 35 year old defenceman (with a lot less talent) as a UFA and gave up any pick from Calgary in the process.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 03:03 PM   #8723
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
They signed a 35 year old defenceman (with a lot less talent) as a UFA and gave up any pick from Calgary in the process.
Not any pick. There was pretty much nothing for them to take. Who would they have taken, Kulak? Lol.

They got the 'hometown' player, made the most sense.

Buyouts or busts were all that were available. Brouwer, Bouma, Shinkaruk? Yeah, easy to see why they passed. Next expansion draft looks different, especially if players like Kylington or Andersson do become available.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 02-04-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:24 PM   #8724
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Friedman on 960 says he thinks the Flames looked at Kunitz, Zuccarello, or "guys like that"
Old 02-04-2019, 03:33 PM   #8725
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Friedman on 960 says he thinks the Flames looked at Kunitz, Zuccarello, or "guys like that"

Very confusing stuff, those two are nothing alike unless Kunitz has recently discovered the fountain of youth.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 03:36 PM   #8726
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Very confusing stuff, those two are nothing alike unless Kunitz has recently discovered the fountain of youth.
Maybe he means guys with the letter Z in their name. There can't be too many of those in the NHL.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:50 PM   #8727
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I can tell you he has absolutely not.

He's done like dinner. The only thing left for him to play for is his 1,000th game then the Blackhawks should put him on waivers for buyout and retirement if the GM has any shred of brains.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:25 PM   #8728
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Not any pick. There was pretty much nothing for them to take. Who would they have taken, Kulak? Lol.

They got the 'hometown' player, made the most sense.

Buyouts or busts were all that were available. Brouwer, Bouma, Shinkaruk? Yeah, easy to see why they passed. Next expansion draft looks different, especially if players like Kylington or Andersson do become available.
They didn't get any pick from Calgary's roster, which is what I meant (and what I said). And if you read the question I was answering it's really not that important. The question was whether Vegas would have picked a 37 year old D man. I think they would easily have taken Gio, given they could have taken a young guy but chose Engelland.

You mentioned a few names but left out Mike Stone, Alex Chiasson, and Brian Elliott, who are all still regular NHLers. And Kulak was better than some they chose. But they chose an old defenceman.

I think the Flames may well have to expose Gio. But he would be a great pickup for Seattle if they do.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:28 PM   #8729
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You mentioned a few names but left out Mike Stone, Alex Chiasson, and Brian Elliott, who are all still regular NHLers. And Kulak was better than some they chose. But they chose an old defenceman.
Stone was UFA. Signed after the draft.

Chiasson was UFA. Signed after the draft.

Elliot was UFA. Signed after the draft.

Kulak ended up on waivers, and cleared. They still could have got him but didn't.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:33 PM   #8730
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, Chiasson was technically RFA. He just wasn't qualified by the Flames, literally given up for nothing, and did not get picked up until after the season had started.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:34 PM   #8731
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Stone was UFA. Signed after the draft.

Chiasson was UFA. Signed after the draft.

Elliot was UFA. Signed after the draft.
Ummm, right. They could have signed any one of those ahead of the draft just like Engelland, who was a UFA. Now, price maybe was a factor in not signing Stone - they signed Engelland for $1M. Then again, Chiasson signed for less and won a cup.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:36 PM   #8732
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ummm, right. They could have signed any one of those ahead of the draft just like Engelland,.
No they couldn't. Well maybe Chiasson but, as I just said, the Flames gave him up for nothing by not qualifying him and then he went unsigned until after the season started. No team wanted him until October. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of "quality players they could have picked up."

But to sign a UFA, the players still needed to agree. They had the opportunity to talk to Stone and Elliot, and they didn't agree. They talked with Engelland, and he clearly agreed. They could have picked Stone, sure, but then in 2 days he was a UFA free to negotiate with whoever he wanted. So what would be the point? At least picking the hometown Engelland made some sense, he was going to sign and was immediately put in the 'spotlight' as an ambassador for Vegas. Imagine one of your picks just walking away from the team.

But yes, sure, if you really need to get technical, the Knights had the ability to pick busts, buyouts, or UFAs who wouldn't sign or Engelland. Doesn't change the point. Calgary had nothing they wanted, so they just chose a player who agreed to sign where he lived.

That does not appear to be the case with a 38 year old Giordano in 2021, not with the current makeup of the team. Going to be some actual decent picks to chose from without any changes.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 02-04-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:42 PM   #8733
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No they couldn't. Well maybe Chiasson but, as I just said, the Flames gave him up for nothing by not qualifying him and then he went unsigned until after the season started. No team wanted him until October. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of "quality players they could have picked up."

But to sign a UFA, the players still needed to agree. They had the opportunity to talk to Stone and Elliot, and they didn't agree. They talked with Engelland, and he clearly agreed.
Flames were letting Engelland go too, remember? They let him go by not protecting him (and I don't think they had an intention of re-signing him anyway).

I think you are missing the original point. Which was whether the Knights would have acquired a 37 year old defenceman (Gio). Whatever the circumstances, they did in fact acquire a 35 year old who was nowhere near that quality.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:45 PM   #8734
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Flames were letting Engelland go too, remember? They let him go by not protecting him (and I don't think they had an intention of re-signing him anyway).
Yes. The Flames let everything go in the draft because there was literally nothing worth protecting. The Flames were hoping they would take some junk (Brouwer, Stajan, Bouma). Instead the Knights took a hometown veteran player and signed him to a no-risk contract - after they had negotiated with him.

Quote:
I think you are missing the original point. Which was whether the Knights would have acquired a 37 year old defenceman (Gio). Whatever the circumstances, they did in fact acquire a 35 year old who was nowhere near that quality.
Giordano will be 38 at that point and making 6.75M. Very possible the Flames might be thankful if they got out of that contract (hopefully not, be 38 year old players aren't always the best). The Seattle Seattlers will also have the opportunity to select some actual quality players apparently. If you protect Hanifin, Giordano (lol), and Valimaki, that leaves Andersson and Kylington available. Those are better than busts like Shinkaruk and Poirier.

What you're missing is that Vegas had nothing to select from. There was UFAs, who weren't interested in signing in Vegas, buyout candidates and busts. None of which were appealing. So they took Engelland. When Giordano becomes available, that's very likely not to be the case. So that's why Seattle won't pick him.

I can agree with you that if they have the option of picking Rychel or Giordano in 2021, they'll consider Giordano. But if that's the case, what happened to the rest of the Flames team?

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 02-04-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:47 PM   #8735
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Conditional first, like with E. Kane.

But I suspect Calgary gets outbid by teams with a lot more need.

Mark Stone isn’t Evander Kane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2019, 04:49 PM   #8736
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Button on TSN saying guys like Dube and Valimaki are what it would take for Duchene or Stone. Not specified but one would assume the 1st as well.

If so....hard no.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:49 PM   #8737
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes. The Flames let everything go in the draft because there was literally nothing worth protecting. The Flames were hoping they would take some junk (Brouwer, Stajan, Bouma). Instead the Knights took a hometown veteran player and signed him to a no-risk contract.

Giordano will be 38 at that point and making 6.75M. Very possible the Flames might be thankful if they got out of that contract (hopefully not, be 38 year old players aren't always the best). The Seattle Seattlers will also have the opportunity to select some actual quality players apparently. If you protect Hanifin, Giordano (lol), and Valimaki, that leaves Andersson and Kylington available. Those are better than busts like Shinkaruk and Poirier.
Oh, I think they may well expose Gio. And if they do,. I think he's a pretty easy choice because 38 year old Gio will be equal to a lot of equally priced defencemen even at that age.

I expect that there will be a deal by Treliving prior thereto, to avoid all of that, though.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #8738
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Button on TSN saying guys like Dube and Valimaki are what it would take for Duchene or Stone. Not specified but one would assume the 1st as well.

If so....hard no.
I'd have no issue with losing Dube
Old 02-04-2019, 04:53 PM   #8739
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
Agreed....but Valimaki is the deal breaker for me.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:53 PM   #8740
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
Dube is going to be a great player. I still think he outplayed Mangiapane and Czarnik (but not Quine). Him and a pick for a rental? Nope, not even for Stone. Maybe if the pick is conditional and there's a hell of a chance on an extension.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread