Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2010, 09:56 PM   #841
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_82 View Post
This show is going downhill fast. I wanted to stop watching tonight's episode half way through. I won't post any spoilers, but get ready for a turd burger.
/green Text?

Tonight's episode had me on the edge of my seat!
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:15 PM   #842
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

ya I really liked this week's episode as well
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:23 PM   #843
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Best episode of the season so far IMO
Masouka was golden tonight
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:20 AM   #844
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Pedro View Post
Best episode of the season so far IMO
Masouka was golden tonight
ya i'm not sure what mac watched, tonight's was great. Masouka doing the "re-enactment" was pure awesome, and i love it when Dexter is caught out of sorts and has to improvise
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:30 AM   #845
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, tonight was probably the best of a very ordinary season. I didn't know if I would believe the bond between Lumen and Dexter, but their relationship is growing on me.

Masuka's re-enactment is one of the best moments in the show's history. I had to rewind it because I missed what Dexter was saying cause I was laughing so hard.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #846
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The whole relationship between Dexter and Julia Stiles is just ridiculous. Him coming to her rescue in the warehouse so she doesn't get caught? Them arguing over where the body was? Really? At that point I was just hoping they actually were going to get caught. Then the show might pick up. The episode got a bit better towards the end, but still. I am starting to think this show has jumped the shark. And for the record I posted 38 mins into the episode.
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #847
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The whole relationship between Dexter and Julia Stiles is just ridiculous. Him coming to her rescue in the warehouse so she doesn't get caught?
If she gets caught, they'll link him to her by the phone call. If the dude she shot gets linked back to the guy who held her captive and is still missing, things might get messy for Dexter.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #848
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaFrapp View Post
If she gets caught, they'll link him to her by the phone call. If the dude she shot gets linked back to the guy who held her captive and is still missing, things might get messy for Dexter.
Ya I realize that. Dexter should have put her one the table once she saw him kill Boyd, code or no code. He is a cold blooded serial killer. The whole big brother/mentor thing was already done in season 3. I am not a fan of the Lumen/Julia Stiles character.
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:51 AM   #849
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a huge fan of Julia Styles either (character or otherwise), but this season is definitely picking up. Masuka's 15 seconds of awesome was worth this episode alone.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:51 AM   #850
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Ya I realize that. Dexter should have put her one the table once she saw him kill Boyd, code or no code. He is a cold blooded serial killer. The whole big brother/mentor thing was already done in season 3.
He's not a cold blooded serial killer. He's someone who has been conditioned by Harry to kill the guilty who haven't been brought to justice. It's always been ambiguous as to whether Harry was merely directing Dexter's dark passenger or if he created it for his own purposes.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:33 AM   #851
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The whole relationship between Dexter and Julia Stiles is just ridiculous. Him coming to her rescue in the warehouse so she doesn't get caught? Them arguing over where the body was? Really? At that point I was just hoping they actually were going to get caught. Then the show might pick up. The episode got a bit better towards the end, but still. I am starting to think this show has jumped the shark. And for the record I posted 38 mins into the episode.
I agree with the bolded part. Very very very unbelievable.

Otherwise, I like where the writers are taking this. Some may not, but it's exploring another part of Dexter's character. I imagine some of those who don't like this development would like to see a return to season 1 - kill a bad guy per episode, life goes on, etc.
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #852
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing that bugs me is his terrible parenting. He claims to love Harrison but doesn't seemed conflicted enough about missing first words and abandoning him with the Nanny at random points during the night. I think they are trying to play up the conflict in him but I just don't find it believable.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #853
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best episode of the season so far - by far. It's also one of my favourites of the series. It was a nail biter. I think Dexter may put Stiles on the table yet. Also, that nanny makes me nervous.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #854
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't buy Dexter and Lumen's relationship when it started, but I do now

and ya I agree on the nanny, something is definitely up
Old 11-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #855
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #856
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^Thank you so much. I wish I could thank that more.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #857
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

pure gold
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #858
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
He's not a cold blooded serial killer. He's someone who has been conditioned by Harry to kill the guilty who haven't been brought to justice. It's always been ambiguous as to whether Harry was merely directing Dexter's dark passenger or if he created it for his own purposes.
Do you not remember dexters first human kill? Harry was very disturbed and wanted to put the brakes on it, but dexter looked like a puppy who just got his first slice of bacon.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #859
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
THIIIIIIIS. so much win. Like. +1. Thumbs Up. Retweet.

Jesus does this go over everybody's head? I brought it up with some friends once in the first season and they were like "nope, you're an idiot - don't read into it so much" and then went back to talking about South Park.

(and of course Dexter is always going to look up to his father, but as viewers we're supposed to question it)
Listen to his words though. Things like "my father created me" and "he trained me to live by his code" or "made me who I am" are supposed to have more than one meaning. In this season Harry's spirit was happiest when Dexter made an emotional kill.

What kind of father says over and over and over to his son that there is something wrong with him? Don't get me wrong, I think his father had good intentions but he has had a huge influence on the life of Dexter. He chose a path when Dexter started acting out. Wouldn't you have debated a little more? His father was worried from day one...Our greatest fears truly do become our reality.

This is such a big part of the reason I got into Dexter. Such a fascinating character.

Last edited by Flames0910; 11-05-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:46 PM   #860
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Do you not remember dexters first human kill? Harry was very disturbed and wanted to put the brakes on it, but dexter looked like a puppy who just got his first slice of bacon.
Although Harry killed himself after witnessing one of Dexter's kills, it doesn't answer the question of why Dexter kills. Was it witnessing his mother's murder, was he born that way or was it Harry training him to kill?

Just because Harry was disturbed doesn't mean that he was or wasn't directly responsible. Just that he was disturbed with his role regardless.