Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 02:07 PM   #8561
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Yes. What is your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 02:09 PM   #8562
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If anything that shows after they got away from drafting big guys they have been good and the Flames traded too many picks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 02:10 PM   #8563
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Monahan is the third-highest scoring player in his draft class. He is the furthest thing from a "bust."

Since Bennett was selected in 2014 the Flames have had four first-round picks in the last six drafts, and only two between 2015–18. Both of those picks are NHL players today. But in addition, this scouting staff has also managed to graduate players from the second round (x2), the third, fourth, and six rounds since Gaudreau was drafted in fourth round in 2011.

I don't understand why anyone would complain about the Flames's amateur scouting. It seems like a real strength in this organisation.
Quote:
Yes. What is your point?

If the drafting has been good you think more players would have panned out no?
Old 03-04-2021, 02:16 PM   #8564
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
No, I really don't.

Any time a team finds an impact player outside of the first round, that is money, and the Flames have done it several times now in the last few years. Drafting is not an exact science by any stretch of the imagination, and it is why 80% of the players picked never amount to much. The Flames appear to be hitting on players well outside of their draft positions with some consistency, which actually shows that the drafting has been very good.

Honestly, perhaps my biggest fear with a possible management change would be an overhaul of the scouting staff. I think if the Flames ever did let Button go other NHL teams would be lined up to hire him.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 03-04-2021 at 02:20 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 02:17 PM   #8565
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Yes he is a good 2C. We just needed a 1C out of him Jankowski or, Bennett and it didnt happen. Its unfortunate.
Who in the 2012 draft picked after Jankowski would have been a 1C? 2012 really was a weak draft. In hindsight, if they were to redo that draft, Janko would probably end up somewhere in the 2nd round.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:17 PM   #8566
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Yes he is a good 2C. We just needed a 1C out of him Jankowski or, Bennett and it didnt happen. Its unfortunate.
Oh bull####. Monahan is a number one center. No, he's not dynamic like McHobo or MacKinnon, but he is a top producer and no where near as bad as the chicken littles would try and have you believe.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 02:17 PM   #8567
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No, I really don't.

Any time a team finds an impact player outside of the first round, that is money, and the Flames have done it several times now in the last few years. Drafting is not an exact science by any stretch of the imagination, and it is why 80% of the players picked never amount to much. The Flames appear to be hitting on players well outside of their draft positions with some consistency, which actually shows that the drafting has been very good.
I guess I am basing my thoughts on the 1st round alone.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:19 PM   #8568
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How does it compare against the league though?
My gripe with scouting has been the over drafting of LWs and Dmen. I know BPA is smart but I'd think if they specifically targeted RWs, we would have something to show for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 02:22 PM   #8569
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Who in the 2012 draft picked after Jankowski would have been a 1C? 2012 really was a weak draft. In hindsight, if they were to redo that draft, Janko would probably end up somewhere in the 2nd round.
Hertl would have been close if they didn't trade down. Wilson would have been awesome as well.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:22 PM   #8570
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I guess I am basing my thoughts on the 1st round alone.
I think you are basing your thoughts on two first-rounds which occurred before 2015. Do you see any issues with any of their first-round picks since then?

Quote:
Old 03-04-2021, 02:24 PM   #8571
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I know hindsight is 20/20 but the Flames were at #14 and traded down 6 spots with Buffalo to #21. Players picked between 14 and 21.

Ceci (miss), Wilson, Hertl, Teravainen, Vasilevskiy and Laughton.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:27 PM   #8572
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Oh bull####. Monahan is a number one center. No, he's not dynamic like McHobo or MacKinnon, but he is a top producer and no where near as bad as the chicken littles would try and have you believe.
Who said hes bad? I was defending him in the Dubios trade thread go look. But its widely accepted he is a lower end 1C or high end 2C in this very thread and nobody batted an eye a few pages back. You all forget writing that and making up Eichel proposals a few pages back? The other day it was "he doesn't drive play and we need a line driver true 1C" two days later now the mob sentiment is defend Monahan! No he's not bad im one of his defenders go look. But this team is where it is in the standings year after year and many here identified not having a bonafide 1C is part of the problem. Monahan was identified as who we trade to get one. Dont recall that eh? This board is something else.

Last edited by Psytic; 03-04-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:27 PM   #8573
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think you are basing your thoughts on two first-rounds which occurred before 2015. Do you see any issues with any of their first-round picks since then?
Button has been Director of Amateur scouting since 2011.

My bad 2001

Last edited by Wolfman; 03-04-2021 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:31 PM   #8574
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
TBF you have to look at the pick they traded which was 14, not 21 which is where they took Janko. So they pick Hertl to get a versatile skilled guy who can play C. Or Wilson to get a heavy, decent skilled, RW. Or just BPA and Teravainen. Or Vasilevski.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:35 PM   #8575
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Button has been Director of Amateur scouting since 2011.

My bad 2001
That doesn't answer my question. Do you have an issues with the most recent first round picks that have been selected under his tenure since 2015?

And more to the point, it is often said that in lots of organizations the General Manager has a higher level of input in the first round selections than in later rounds; I would suggest that the difference between first round picks made before 2014 and those after has more to do with the GM than the scouting staff.

Quote:
Old 03-04-2021, 02:38 PM   #8576
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I cant say as I now have the gift of hindsight which doesnt make it fair but its a shame we didn't get more out of those picks that year.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:12 PM   #8577
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
No, I really don't.

Honestly, perhaps my biggest fear with a possible management change would be an overhaul of the scouting staff. I think if the Flames ever did let Button go other NHL teams would be lined up to hire him.
I don’t think the amateur scouting staff will be touched. They’ve done excellent work with what they’ve been given. Had Treliving not been so eager to end the rebuild, this organization might be in way better shape today. Maybe Button finds an elite right winger and an elite center with one of those picks that were traded away.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:17 PM   #8578
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I know hindsight is 20/20 but the Flames were at #14 and traded down 6 spots with Buffalo to #21. Players picked between 14 and 21.

Ceci (miss), Wilson, Hertl, Teravainen, Vasilevskiy and Laughton.
Am I crazy to want Wilson the most out of that list?
Old 03-04-2021, 03:22 PM   #8579
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Yes. Vasilevskiy for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 03:28 PM   #8580
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I don’t think you could go wrong any of them. Wilson wouls certainly be a big help in the playoffs with his speed and heaviness. He can play with elite players too, so maybe his hockey iq isn’t too bad. Maybe a bigger, badder version of Ferland who can stay healthy. I don’t watch him play ever, so I’d probably defer to anyone else who’s seen him play more often.

Although having Vasilevskiy would’ve helped kept the Flames from expending all sorts of assets on stopgap goaltenders, so maybe that would have been the wisest choice of all.
Closed Thread