Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 12:16 PM   #8541
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

How about Johnny (my fav player) to the Islanders for Barzal plus ---- and our first rounder back. Hamonic and Ferland (2nd most fav player) to the Jets for Trouba plus ---- Connor/Roslovic and a first rounder. Crazy talk I know but this team needs a good shake up.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:19 PM   #8542
FlamesNation23
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
How about Johnny (my fav player) to the Islanders for Barzal plus ---- and our first rounder back. Hamonic and Ferland (2nd most fav player) to the Jets for Trouba plus ---- Connor/Roslovic and a first rounder. Crazy talk I know but this team needs a good shake up.
How about no
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesNation23 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 12:19 PM   #8543
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope... The thought of trading Johnny at the contract he's locked in at is crazy talk. He's the best value top 10 scorer in the league and I feel like he hasn't even figured it all out just yet. No to trading Johnny.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:20 PM   #8544
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 12:21 PM   #8545
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett in play makes sense but Boston doesn't make sense as a destination. Maybe Jake DeBrusk coming back?
Old 02-22-2018, 12:22 PM   #8546
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Boston? Nah Montreal. One of their wingers coming back, Gallagher or Patches.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:22 PM   #8547
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Please please give us a quiet deadline with a few minor sales for draft picks to restock the forward prospect cupboards.

Please do not trade any of our top prospects for any of these rentals or Grabner or Shaw or even Zuccarello.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:23 PM   #8548
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Bennett in play makes sense but Boston doesn't make sense as a destination. Maybe Jake DeBrusk coming back?
Debrusk has looked better than Bennett so far in the NHL and is younger. I don't see the incentive on Boston's part unless we're adding something, in which case it's going to hurt.

Bennett- Pacioretty is something I could definitely get behind.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:23 PM   #8549
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:

Old 02-22-2018, 12:25 PM   #8550
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Debrusk has looked better than Bennett so far in the NHL and is younger. I don't see the incentive on Boston's part unless we're adding something, in which case it's going to hurt.

Bennett- Pacioretty is something I could definitely get behind.

Yeah let’s get older for the hell of it.

Let’s never be patient, and forever be stuck in mediocrity.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #8551
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very much against trading Bennett for an older player like Pacioretty.

Bennett for Domi and give both players a fresh start
Old 02-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #8552
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

I mean, yeah we're giving up on Bennett a bit, but Pacioretty has had more goals than bennett has had points since bennett entered the league. He's only 29, and has driven a line of offense mostly on his own.

Realistically at this point we are hoping that Bennett turns out half as good as Pacioretty. The fact that we're trading him across the league also helps in case he does magically become a better hockey player. Frankly i'm not expecting that to be the case anymore.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #8553
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Patience!

How did Winnipeg get so good? Oh yes! Drafting lots of skilled and speedy prospects and patiently allowing them to develop.

Let's do that. Let's not mortgage the future because of sunken cost fallacy or impatience to become a contender or whatever. No band-aids!
Old 02-22-2018, 12:31 PM   #8554
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If we're doing a blockbuster deal with Boston including Bennett, it needs to be:

To Bos:
Brodie
Bennett
Versteeg
Fox

To CGY
McAvoy
Backes
McQuaid
2018 1st

Then the Flames Flip

To BUF
McQuaid
Lazar

To Cgy
Kane

We then make a stanley cup run with:

Johnny-Money-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backes-Kane
Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik
Hathaway-Stajan-Brower

Gio-Hamilton
McAvoy-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone

Smith
Rittich

Stanley cup Champions - E5
Old 02-22-2018, 12:34 PM   #8555
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I love when we make crazy fantasy trades and Brouwer stays with the team.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 12:34 PM   #8556
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2017/2018 Trade Speculation and Rumors

Quote:
I mean, yeah we're giving up on Bennett a bit, but Pacioretty has had more goals than bennett has had points since bennett entered the league. He's only 29, and has driven a line of offense mostly on his own.

Realistically at this point we are hoping that Bennett turns out half as good as Pacioretty. The fact that we're trading him across the league also helps in case he does magically become a better hockey player. Frankly i'm not expecting that to be the case anymore.

I disagree with your “realistically” point of view, as there are plenty examples of players developing to be better than “half as good”.

Patches is definitely good - but we have all sorts of data that shows where players fall off. Bennett is developing, patience is a requirement and good organizations simply don’t trade players like that. Patches is very much a player that a team like Tampa could add, but not us. We aren’t a piece away, we’re not a “filthy rich” team in terms of assets.

Success comes from within. Stick with patience and development.

Abandoning player development because you’re failing to develop players is a surefire way to fail as an organization. Work with the players.

I’m not saying when the RIGHT player becomes available to not jump out at it - because trades like the Dougie Hamilton ones are big wins

Specifically with Bennett - I put a post on here a few days ago showing just how wrong people’s perception of his development “woes” are. It’s nothing but impatience, there’s nothing else to it.

Last edited by ComixZone; 02-22-2018 at 12:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 12:36 PM   #8557
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Patience!

How did Winnipeg get so good? Oh yes! Drafting lots of skilled and speedy prospects and patiently allowing them to develop.

Let's do that. Let's not mortgage the future because of sunken cost fallacy or impatience to become a contender or whatever. No band-aids!
This is an odd comment. Winnipeg's best player (blake wheeler) and their top defenseman (byfuglien) were both assets acquired in trades. They've also had far more high picks than the flames from longer periods of terrible play. Finally, they were lucky enough not to draft a bust in 2014 like we did, as Nikolaj Ehlers has absolutely put benny to shame so far in the league. The sunken cost fallacy is the opposite- forget bennett's draft position or junior play. The last two seasons he has looked like a fringe 3rd liner. We might be able to sell high on someone else buying into that old potential, but it doesn't look like he'll hit it.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:40 PM   #8558
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched34 View Post
If we're doing a blockbuster deal with Boston including Bennett, it needs to be:

To Bos:
Brodie
Bennett
Versteeg
Fox

To CGY
McAvoy
Backes
McQuaid
2018 1st

Then the Flames Flip

To BUF
McQuaid
Lazar

To Cgy
Kane

We then make a stanley cup run with:

Johnny-Money-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backes-Kane
Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik
Hathaway-Stajan-Brower

Gio-Hamilton
McAvoy-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone

Smith
Rittich

Stanley cup Champions - E5
This might be the most wretched trade proposal for flames I have ever seen....
The Following User Says Thank You to shotinthebacklund For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 12:43 PM   #8559
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree with your “realistically” point of view, as there are plenty examples of players developing to be better than “half as good”.

Patches is definitely good - but we have all sorts of data that shows where players fall off. Bennett is developing, patience is a requirement and good organizations simply don’t trade players like that. Patches is very much a player that a team like Tampa could add, but not us. We aren’t a piece away, we’re not a “filthy rich” team in terms of assets.

Success comes from within. Stick with patience and development.

Abandoning player development because you’re failing to develop players is a surefire way to fail as an organization. Work with the players.

I’m not saying when the RIGHT player becomes available to not jump out at it - because trades like the Dougie Hamilton ones are big wins

Specifically with Bennett - I put a post on here a few days ago showing just how wrong people’s perception of his development “woes” are. It’s nothing but impatience, there’s nothing else to it.
Agree to disagree. In Bennett, I see a player that gets frustrated easily and is often out of position on the ice. He has mostly (finally) stopped taking the dumb penalties he was quickly accumulating in this position, but he's still not "getting it" on the ice. He's occasionally good on the boards but doesn't use other players well in these situations so when he does get double teamed he coughs the puck up. His puck handling skills are good, but he has a tendency to look down when he wants to make his moves, resulting in defencemen taking the body and taking him out of the play. Finally, when he does get into a good position, he doesn't have a great shot. He's not particularly good at picking angles/holes or shot placement, and it's almost as weak as johnny's shot.

I just don't see how he will get anywhere close to Pacioretty's offensive production with these traits. I'm really not trying to be a debby downer, or a pessimist, I'm honestly asking what you all see in his play game by game that leads you to different opinions.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:44 PM   #8560
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Are you okay with adding Pacioretty for 2 playoff runs and lose him for nothing? Are you prepared to have him on the cap for 6.5-7.5M for 5-8 years?

If the answer is no to both of those questions then you don’t trade Bennett for Pacioretty.

I am a believer in Bennett if we hold on to him. If both he and the org are ready to move on for a fresh start then we should be targeting young players in return. By young players I mean 25 and under.
Closed Thread