Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 02:07 PM   #8481
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wouldn't trade Brassard for Janko. Brassard is 31 and is on the decline.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybb79 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 02:16 PM   #8482
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Frolik for Brassard?
Zuccarello for a 3rd+Lazar

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Zuccarello
Bennett-Brassard-Neal
Hathaway-Jankowski-Ryan
I don't see the Frolik deal happening - Florida made the deal to get Brassard specifically to clear cap from next season, and Frolik is signed next season.
I also feel that unless you are getting back a player signed next year, and moving Frolik is about balance, you keep him. He is a utility guy, and in the case that the Flames add to the 2nd line, you bump Frolik to 4LW, bench Mangiapane, and then in game you have the ability to go back to 3M if you need to. Peters is a coach who adjusts mid game, so this is feasible (and has been done at least once).
Frolik is very tradeable in the offseason, either at the draft for a mid round pick, or after free agency if a team misses targets. Unless he is a key driver for the other team in a deal, he should stay for now.

I like the Zuccarello deal, though I think you overvalue Lazar. A 2nd was paid for him, but he has had to rebuild in the AHL. His value to most teams right now is likely a marginal prospect slightly above balancing reserve list in a trade. If the cost is 3rd + a prospect, think more Zavgorodny/Popisil (more team control, perceived upside as post-draft risers)
Old 02-01-2019, 02:18 PM   #8483
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Not really. Jankowski is a 4th-liner on a contender.

Really? Jankowski is the third line center for the Calgary Flames - the top team in the western conference and 2nd in the NHL - which constitutes a contender, last time I looked.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 02:26 PM   #8484
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Really? Jankowski is the third line center for the Calgary Flames - the top team in the western conference and 2nd in the NHL - which constitutes a contender, last time I looked.

In that case...Mike Smith is a back up G on a contender...amirite?
Old 02-01-2019, 02:32 PM   #8485
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

You got me there.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:32 PM   #8486
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, he is. Hasn't he gone 9-2 or something in his last 11 starts?
Old 02-01-2019, 02:35 PM   #8487
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2018/2019 Trade Speculation and Rumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Yes, he is. Hasn't he gone 9-2 or something in his last 11 starts?

People keep bringing this up like it reflects on his play rather than that of the team in front of him.

The Flames often win in spite of Smith. They’ve had to orchestrate multi-goal comebacks and barn burners on multiple occasions just to make up for the usual “bad goal” or two he lets in. That doesn’t make him a good goalie.

Last edited by mrdonkey; 02-01-2019 at 02:39 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 02:37 PM   #8488
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post

Hah, you got me there.

Still think the Flames could use an upgrade, but point taken.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #8489
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
People keep bringing this up like it reflects on his play rather than that of the team in front of him.

The Flames often win in spite of Smith. They’ve had to orchestrate multi-goal comebacks and barn burners on multiple occasions just to make up for the usual “bad goal” or two he lets in. That doesn’t make him a good goalie.
2.57 GAA .903 save% in his last 12.

He has been passable for a while now.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:52 PM   #8490
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah and actually quite good in seven of those games. He had some team help to beat the Jackets in relief of Rittich, and was sketchy in losses to St. Louis and Boston. Was pretty average against Detroit.

But had great numbers in beating Arizona, LA, Chicago, Minnesota, Nashville, Detroit and Arizona again.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:54 PM   #8491
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Yeah and actually quite good in seven of those games. He had some team help to beat the Jackets in relief of Rittich, and was sketchy in losses to St. Louis and Boston. Was pretty average against Detroit.

But had great numbers in beating Arizona, LA, Chicago, Minnesota, Nashville, Detroit and Arizona again.
Are there any advanced stats that show rebound control?

I'm happy that smith is making saves but I am curious if the eye test of him stabbing wildly at pucks and having poor rebound control is just me or whether there is a data based way of showing that smith is worse than most other goalies at looking like he knows what he is doing.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:58 PM   #8492
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Does not compute

A .903 ranks him 34/45 goalies. His .888 over the full season ranks him 44/45. Why are we apologizing for this guy? It's not like he hasn't been given ample cracks to turn it around already.

Last edited by Monahammer; 02-01-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:00 PM   #8493
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

some people have really low expectations for goaltenders...if Smith was on an average or below average team he would be getting absolutely lit up.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:00 PM   #8494
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Some real world beaters on that list.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 03:04 PM   #8495
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

What kills me is Smith vs the recent Edmonton anointed number one goaltender.

67 goalies have made 10 or more starts this year.

David Rittich is ranked 4th at 70.4%
Mikko Koskinen is ranked 44th at 48.0%
Mike Smith is ranked 55th at 41.7%
Cam Talbot is ranked 64th at 32.0%

Edmonton's new starter is much closer to Smith than Rittich, and Calgarians cringe when he starts.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:05 PM   #8496
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Just kills me how mad people get at a reasoned Smith response. Did anyone call him a great goaltender, or that he should be the starter?

Chill people.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 03:19 PM   #8497
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Does not compute

A .903 ranks him 34/45 goalies. His .888 over the full season ranks him 44/45. Why are we apologizing for this guy? It's not like he hasn't been given ample cracks to turn it around already.
Who is apologizing for him? Im sure everyone wishes he had been better and hopes he will be moving forward.

Is he making enough stops for this team to win or not? 10-2 in the last 12 or whatever it is suggests yes he is. On average, when he starts lately, the team needs 3 goals to win.

Really thats all that matters at this point.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:22 PM   #8498
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2018/2019 Trade Speculation and Rumors

Quote:
Just kills me how mad people get at a reasoned Smith response. Did anyone call him a great goaltender, or that he should be the starter?

Chill people.

He shouldn’t be in the NHL at all for God’s sakes. He is an active risk to cost this team valuable points every time he plays. He is old. He is done. He has shown this repeatedly. And for whatever reason there is a subsection of this forum lining up time and again to make excuses for him, point to his win/loss record like it means anything, and/or lecture other people to suck it up because he’s here no matter what.

I don’t profess to know who might be available, but I’d be willing to take a shot with just about any other goaltender with NHL experience playing backup for this team over Smith. Waive him. Bye Felicia. Problem solved.

Is there anyone, ANYONE, who would be okay watching Smith start even a single game in the playoffs? It’s an important part of this team desperately crying out for improvement. And it wouldn’t be hard to improve.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 03:22 PM   #8499
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Who is apologizing for him? Im sure everyone wishes he had been better and hopes he will be moving forward.

Is he making enough stops for this team to win or not? 10-2 in the last 12 or whatever it is suggests yes he is. On average, when he starts lately, the team needs 3 goals to win.

Still think he just doesn't pass the eye test. He is fighting the puck and even if he is winning he is getting lucky to do so. He doesn't look like he is in control of the puck or his body, and he makes the easy saves look hard, and the hard saves look downright impossible.

It is scary to watch
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 03:24 PM   #8500
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I can confidently state that the team has won in spite of him rather than he playing well enough to earn victories. To me GAA is a team stat and save percentage is indicative of the goalie's contribution to that (both over large sample sizes not just game by game.) In this case smith is well below average or passable at stopping shots coming his way, fortunately the team has played well enough to cover up for that.
Closed Thread