Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 02:25 PM   #8441
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rounding the turn eh??

Round and round and round they go when it stops nobody knows.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:33 PM   #8442
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Lol my god... but if it was Biden it would be just as messed up right? Damned if you do damned if you don’t right?? People need to hopefully be waking up to just what is happening with Trump here otherwise we are witnessing the end of an era truly. Unbelievable.
Again just Trump the narcissist talking out of his ass. There us nobody that is going to save. Supreme court judges, gop stooges or not, are not going to throw away the legacy of the high court to save a crook. There is still honor in that branch.

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2020, 02:36 PM   #8443
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
In other horrifying news, the U.S. hit a record high with over 98,500 Covid cases in a single day yesterday.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...s-one-n1245450
It’s OK though because the rate of completely unnecessary deaths is decreasing....
Old 10-31-2020, 02:39 PM   #8444
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Again just Trump the narcissist talking out of his ass. There us nobody that is going to save. Supreme court judges, gop stooges or not, are not going to throw away the legacy of the high court to save a crook. There is still honor in that branch.
I dearly hope you are right.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:41 PM   #8445
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This just in. GirlySports declares, "Peace for our time!"
Old 10-31-2020, 02:43 PM   #8446
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
You have 2 justices already talking about their desire to overturn a decided case, Obergefell, which would strip away gay marriage.

I have zero faith that this court, as currently constructed, has honor. Some individual justices do, but not enough to make me feel better about anything.

Usually this thread, from a distanced POV, makes me feel a little better. Today it is doing the exact opposite.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2020, 02:51 PM   #8447
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
This just in. GirlySports declares, "Peace for our time!"

Ha. I just don't think the Supreme Court works like that. It's not a toy that Trump can just proclaim will work for him. It's been around for over 200 years in times tougher than these and stood firm. Again, I think it's not going to abuse it's power and throw it's legacy in the toilet for a crook. Judges take pride in their decisions.

It's the same reason I don't think Biden will expand the court for the sake of expanding it. It's not a toy to be used for political gain.

Old 10-31-2020, 02:52 PM   #8448
bizkitgto
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
No you're not.

You just haven't got the guts to say what you are, even though everyone can see it.
Say what? That I’m disillusioned with the political process - then yes! Do I think Trump is a piece of ####, yes! Do I think Biden is a piece of ####, yes! But the hypocrisy and self-righteousness of this thread is disgusting, that is my beef.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:55 PM   #8449
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I mean, there’s no point in hiding his plan anymore.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1322625856678879233
Alright, I think it's pretty clear what my views about the likelihood of this happening are, but this actually is taken out of context. He was actually complaining at that rally about the SCOTUS extending the ballot deadline. The quote in that tweet is actually him being sarcastic, saying thanks to the supreme court they might have to wait longer than election day to win.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2020, 03:03 PM   #8450
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
You have 2 justices already talking about their desire to overturn a decided case, Obergefell, which would strip away gay marriage.

I have zero faith that this court, as currently constructed, has honor. Some individual justices do, but not enough to make me feel better about anything.

Usually this thread, from a distanced POV, makes me feel a little better. Today it is doing the exact opposite.

Thanks for bringing up this case. I do share your concern as the Obergefell decision was a narrow 5-4 decision and 3 of the opposers, Roberts, Thomas and Alito, are still there. I think it would be difficult to overturn, especially with the addition of the Pavan v Smith case in 2017 when the Supreme Court re-affirmed it using Obergefell as precedent.

So unless Kavanaugh and Barrett are absolute hacks, which if they were would really hurt the court, I think it would be very difficult to overturn. Perhaps a few more restrictions, which would also suck.

Old 10-31-2020, 03:03 PM   #8451
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
the German Judiciary was much admired as well, it took about about a decade to get from that to this, easy really, forced retirements, a few 'accidents' and bingo!!

Old 10-31-2020, 03:05 PM   #8452
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Alright, I think it's pretty clear what my views about the likelihood of this happening are, but this actually is taken out of context. He was actually complaining at that rally about the SCOTUS extending the ballot deadline. The quote in that tweet is actually him being sarcastic, saying thanks to the supreme court they might have to wait longer than election day to win.
Speaking of ‘interesting’....

If haven’t seen it myself, yet if the context is as you describe Corsi, it is actually the fake news Trump blathers about. I don’t like seeing that, there is enough despicable actual news, it doesn’t help to misquote or create things that aren’t accurate.

Of course, again, if your interpretation of the context is correct.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:05 PM   #8453
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for bringing up this case. I do share your concern as the Obergefell decision was a narrow 5-4 decision and 3 of the opposers, Roberts, Thomas and Alito, are still there. I think it would be difficult to overturn, especially with the addition of the Pavan v Smith case in 2017 when the Supreme Court re-affirmed it using Obergefell as precedent.

So unless Kavanaugh and Barrett are absolute hacks
, which if they were would really hurt the court, I think it would be very difficult to overturn. Perhaps a few more restrictions, which would also suck.
What do you mean “unless”?
Old 10-31-2020, 03:05 PM   #8454
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

afc: I don't believe we are there. Not for freaking Donald Trump. Remember, Germany was a very young country, since 1860(?), and they had just been embarrassed in WWI. Things were different 100 years ago as Germany was trying to become a nee power and not disappear off the map. The US is not in this situation in 2020. Trump is just a GOP pawn.

Old 10-31-2020, 03:06 PM   #8455
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ha. I just don't think the Supreme Court works like that. It's not a toy that Trump can just proclaim will work for him. It's been around for over 200 years in times tougher than these and stood firm. Again, I think it's not going to abuse it's power and throw it's legacy in the toilet for a crook. Judges take pride in their decisions.

It's the same reason I don't think Biden will expand the court for the sake of expanding it. It's not a toy to be used for political gain.
I just don't think you're in touch with the reality of the situation, at all. Kinda like Chamberlain.

Judges aren't political? Specifically, the ones appointed by a single, partisan president? The number of R vs D appointed judges never comes up? You're living in a fantasy world. Ugh.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2020, 03:09 PM   #8456
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkitgto View Post
Say what? That I’m disillusioned with the political process - then yes! Do I think Trump is a piece of ####, yes! Do I think Biden is a piece of ####, yes! But the hypocrisy and self-righteousness of this thread is disgusting, that is my beef.
Alright Ben Shapiro, calm down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:10 PM   #8457
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
What do you mean “unless”?
Dot one, meet dot two. GirlySports, go ahead and connect them...
The Following User Says Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2020, 03:11 PM   #8458
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
I just don't think you're in touch with the reality of the situation, at all. Kinda like Chamberlain.

Judges aren't political? Specifically, the ones appointed by a single, partisan president? The number of R vs D appointed judges never comes up? You're living in a fantasy world. Ugh.

If that's the case, why aren't laws struck down the nanosecond the majority flips? Have respect for the court and it's decisions.

Old 10-31-2020, 03:11 PM   #8459
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Alright Ben Shapiro, calm down.
I think if he types it all out one more time we'll finally get his point of view.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2020, 03:11 PM   #8460
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
afc: I don't believe we are there. Not for freaking Donald Trump. Remember, Germany was a very young country, since 1860(?), and they had just been embarrassed in WWI. Things were different 100 years ago as Germany was trying to become a nee power and not disappear off the map. The US is not in this situation in 2020. Trump is just a GOP pawn.
Give your head a shake, at this point the GOP is Trump's pawn, the only thing that has been missing up until now is the murders to take out the opposition, that comes next, Racheal Maddows 'disturbs' a burglar, Justice Roberts car's brakes fail etc
Closed Thread