Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #821
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I haven't been on them (mostly because I haven't been to Calgary since 2004). Regardless, there seems to be a sh*t-tonne more room on those than the Green Line trains on the T in Boston.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #822
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I like that new setup for the interior. Its going to make the flow of people better. It works well in other cities so it will work well here. The current setup of the cars is terrible.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #823
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
The seats are too narrow on the new cars. The AC is nice though.
Yeah, you prety much treat the seats like urinals... leave one open between you and the next person over unless it becomes impossible to do so.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #824
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Also, if there were no seats and herders with prods at every station, we could fit even more people on the cars. Make it happen CT. I want to start my ride out single and end it in a polyamorous relationship with the closest 4 commuters crammed around me. There is also a lot of un-utilized space at the top of the cars, you should consider encouraging people to sit on each other's shoulders. Or just have the herders prod appropriately and it will become learned, acceptable behavior.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #825
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

More seriously, upper storage/stowing capacity would be nice. Stowing is encouraged, but I'm not going to put my stuff on the floor in the winter in all the mud and slop.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #826
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Yeah, you prety much treat the seats like urinals... leave one open between you and the next person over unless it becomes impossible to do so.
How is that any different from how seating works on the buses and older model ctrain cars though?

No one sits next to each other in a two person seat, unless it starts to fill up.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #827
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
How is that any different from how seating works on the buses and older model ctrain cars though?

No one sits next to each other in a two person seat, unless it starts to fill up.
It's still more comfortable on the old cars to sit next to another person 'cause there's a couple of inches between the window and the inside person and the outside person can spill into the aisle. In the new cars, I fill up the seat and then some and I'm 6', 200 lbs. It's kind of like the seats over the wheels and in the bendy sections of the bendy busses.

Speaking of which, the seats on the bendy section of the bendy busses are set at blood clot in your leg creating height, even for me. It's like sitting on a bar stool. Honestly, does Calgary Transit not try these things out? Similar seats on busses in Seattle are the proper height...
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #828
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
It's still more comfortable on the old cars to sit next to another person
Oh I agree with that 100%. All I was saying is that people not wanting to sit next to each other until they have to, isn't a new issue.

Those blue seats on the last generation of train are legit comfortable.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #829
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Oh I agree with that 100%. All I was saying is that people not wanting to sit next to each other until they have to, isn't a new issue.
The degree of awkwardness when you are beside someone (or two people) is significantly higher on the new trains, making the urinal analogy more applicable. IMHO they'd be better if they just had benches along the sides. Those seats are clearly designed for Europeans.
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2011, 02:58 AM   #830
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Oh hey guys, time for my annual contribution to this thread.

Public transportation is for jerks and lesbians.

H. Simpson

Seeya next year!
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:52 AM   #831
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm 6'6. I love the new trains with perimeter seating. I wish buses would go that route. Relief for my poor knees.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:50 AM   #832
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Yeah, you prety much treat the seats like urinals...
I already do.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #833
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new trains are less comfortable to ride on, mainly because the seats are too narrow. Less seats would be better. But I'm in favour of less seats and the perimeter model because waiting in the cold as a full train goes by is unbelievably unpleasant. I'll trade less comfort on the odd day I get to sit down for much more comfort on the odd day I get on the train instead of waiting outside in the cold.

The new trains are worse most of the time, but way better on the days when things go bad. Considering how often that happens with CT, it seems like a worthwhile trade for me.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #834
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
The new trains are less comfortable to ride on, mainly because the seats are too narrow. Less seats would be better. But I'm in favour of less seats and the perimeter model because waiting in the cold as a full train goes by is unbelievably unpleasant. I'll trade less comfort on the odd day I get to sit down for much more comfort on the odd day I get on the train instead of waiting outside in the cold.

The new trains are worse most of the time, but way better on the days when things go bad. Considering how often that happens with CT, it seems like a worthwhile trade for me.
Agreed 90%, with the 10% being that I think instead of having any kind of "seat width", they should just make it a flat bench.

Last edited by SebC; 10-23-2011 at 08:01 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #835
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

As a wheelchair user, who has not been on the train in years, I like the new wider aisles.

GreatWhiteEbola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #836
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have they just got lazy with the very newest cars that have entered service and not put the Coke swoop on them yet? (they have the red tops, but all white on the bottom)

Or are they being prepped for some big ads? Going away from the swish thing?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #837
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

so what happened with the train this morning? i saw an empty train stopped on the Memorial overpass with a ton of police vehicles sitting at the bottom. seems like a weird place for someone to get hit
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #838
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to Twitter (take it for what it is worth), it sounds like a presumably drunk guy was wandering on Memorial and then onto the tracks and got hit.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #839
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
so what happened with the train this morning? i saw an empty train stopped on the Memorial overpass with a ton of police vehicles sitting at the bottom. seems like a weird place for someone to get hit
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Tr...060/story.html
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #840
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably someone from the Occupy Calgary tent city was hammered and walking about.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings