Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2021, 08:17 AM   #821
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
OK this may seem like a dumb question... and for some it may be. I *know* there aren't a lot of technical / "professional" / project manager type jobs out there (O&G industry), yet at the same time I can't help but feel I'm somehow missing out on accessing either the public or hidden job markets. I'm actively checking out LinkedIn, Indeed, and Glassdoor, plus about 40-50 actual company website career sections regularly. Will be stepping up my networking as well - and that includes emails, texts, and targeting actual conversations with people (video or phone) until in-person is possible. What might I be missing?
In my opinion I’d be almost focusing all of my time on networking. Especially in O&G right now, the odds of getting a job by cold applying to a posting are slim to none.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2021, 02:52 PM   #822
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Networking is definitely going to open the door to 80% or better roles I think. That said... most of my interviews the last 6mo have been without having a contact or internal reference.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:33 PM   #823
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk View Post
So where do all the cool Software Developers go to search for new jobs or upload their resumes these days? I think I've finally snapped and need something new.
I’ve heard Pason is looking.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2021, 02:05 PM   #824
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Booked my PMP Exam next Monday.

Hope I pass that thing.
Passed! Take that, M%#!?*%#%!
Old 06-07-2021, 07:39 PM   #825
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s a very big deal. Congrats! That exam isn’t a cakewalk.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:18 PM   #826
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Networking is definitely going to open the door to 80% or better roles I think. That said... most of my interviews the last 6mo have been without having a contact or internal reference.
But.. that sort of proves the point. Not to sound harsh but interviews really don’t mean much except your resume matched the posting.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:27 PM   #827
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
But.. that sort of proves the point. Not to sound harsh but interviews really don’t mean much except your resume matched the posting.
Granted you don’t know me or the type of work or skill sets I bring to the table. So I’ll look past your flippant sounding answer.

In Calgary’s oil and gas industry there are many 1000’s of qualified applicants for most jobs right now. It’s insane. At one point the joke went there more geologists working at bike shops than in offices. So yes having a reference carries huge weight. Getting into an interview without an internal reference means ones resume is significantly better.

When there are many many qualified applicants then yes getting a first interview is an accomplishment in itself. Getting short listed and having a 2nd interview too. That’s my perspective and it’s not like I am shooting for manual labor or fast food jobs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2021, 10:42 PM   #828
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
That’s a very big deal. Congrats! That exam isn’t a cakewalk.
Yeah, quite hard. I wasn’t sure how I had done as I was finishing up, and was very relieved when I finished the final review and pressed done, and immediately, the screen came up that I passed. Many questions where I wasn’t sure that I had the right answer, but apparently I got enough of those questions right. I think most questions I could narrow it down to no more than two.

180 questions of that, reading the questions and answers meticulously, over 4 hours. I was mentally exhausted coming out, I had to sit in the car a bit to check back into life. Came home, and had to just rest some more. I haven’t been that mentally exhausted in a long time.

Last edited by You Need a Thneed; 06-07-2021 at 10:45 PM.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 03:34 AM   #829
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Granted you don’t know me or the type of work or skill sets I bring to the table. So I’ll look past your flippant sounding answer.

In Calgary’s oil and gas industry there are many 1000’s of qualified applicants for most jobs right now. It’s insane. At one point the joke went there more geologists working at bike shops than in offices. So yes having a reference carries huge weight. Getting into an interview without an internal reference means ones resume is significantly better.

When there are many many qualified applicants then yes getting a first interview is an accomplishment in itself. Getting short listed and having a 2nd interview too. That’s my perspective and it’s not like I am shooting for manual labor or fast food jobs.
I didn’t mean to sound flippant so I’ll apologize for that. Just stressing how important the networking side of things is these days.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 04:48 PM   #830
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

So, I saw a new listing go up this morning, very basic listing along the lines of what I've been doing, with very few details. I sent in my Resume through LinkedIn.

I got a call back from the guy, and he seems interested in me, finally at the end he asks my salary expectations, and I give a number around what I had been making previously. He states that that's way above what they were hoping for, and asks if I would think of going for much less.

Anyways, I have an interview tomorrow morning, and I'm looking at the listing now - it's much more detailed, and lists a salary range... $45k-$85k. The high end of the number should be the starting point of what they are looking for - and the $45k is insanely low for what they are looking for - Bachelor Degree - years of experience, PMP is an Asset...

$45k at the low end? The unskilled labourers on site make more than that.

Anyway, I sort of doubt it's going to work out, but an interview is an interview I guess. I was almost surprised that he actually sent me the interview invite after our breif salary discussion on the phone.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:12 PM   #831
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What's the worst that can happen. I would ask about the width of the salary range because that's huge. And if they're talking 45k what other benefits would make me want to work there because the salary ain't a boat floater for the requirements. I was up front in a interview years back when the market was better. Basically

"The salary is about more then paying for my skills and time, its also about buying my loyalty. How long do you think someone will stay at that salary?"

I didn't get the job. I didn't care.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:25 PM   #832
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
What's the worst that can happen. I would ask about the width of the salary range because that's huge. And if they're talking 45k what other benefits would make me want to work there because the salary ain't a boat floater for the requirements. I was up front in a interview years back when the market was better. Basically

"The salary is about more then paying for my skills and time, its also about buying my loyalty. How long do you think someone will stay at that salary?"

I didn't get the job. I didn't care.
Absolutely the money would have to be there to buy any kind of loyalty, but the top end of that range isn’t going to buy loyalty.

$45k for the position is t going to attract anyone, even if the had the most amazing benefits ever.

If I had seen the salary listing before I applied, I probably wouldn’t have.

Anyway, I’m going, but not expecting much.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:54 PM   #833
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm seeing the same thing... the problem is that yes there are people out there willing to take the low wage just to get them through until the next best thing comes along. Zero loyalty... but it's not loyalty many of these folks want. Maybe it's even planned.

Essentially.... "We want to pay you a junior/new grad rate, but demand ~20years experience... and so the rate for this job regardless of experience is $XYZ".

I'd had an interview quite a few months where same question. I gave a rough number but was quick to clarify that I didn't understand current market pricing nor what their expectations were for the role. They phoned back 2 hours later and said my number was too high for their budget so they went with #2 candidate. The difference was only $5-10/hr... they said they didn't want to negotiate or quibble. I said I woulda been ok to negotiate my rate but never got the chance.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:43 PM   #834
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

at the end of the day, I think that Canada has lost about a 268k jobs in the last two months. Right now its a severe buyers market, so pay rates are low and your competing against desperate people who will literally take anything that gets them off of government programs.

That might change once we fully reopen, I don't know what my expectations are in the job markets over the next few months.

But when you're competing against like 50 people, and most of them are almost willing to take anything the rates are going to be incredibly low.

And 50 is a low estimate.

Old 06-10-2021, 06:45 PM   #835
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Where the reckoning comes is that there is going to be an incredible exodus of people once the markets shift back to a sellers market, and these folks that think they neogtiated a discount deal realize that they spent a bunch of money onboarding and training only to have the person show zero loyalty.

As well most companies though coming out of this have seen their business evaporate over the last year and simply can't pay the higher rates. But they should find non monetary equivalents to get loyalty. If they don't that's on them when they see a LIFO brain drain.

Old 06-10-2021, 10:43 PM   #836
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
at the end of the day, I think that Canada has lost about a 268k jobs in the last two months. Right now its a severe buyers market, so pay rates are low and your competing against desperate people who will literally take anything that gets them off of government programs.

That might change once we fully reopen, I don't know what my expectations are in the job markets over the next few months.

But when you're competing against like 50 people, and most of them are almost willing to take anything the rates are going to be incredibly low.

And 50 is a low estimate.
Why do you triple space between paragraphs or is it a software glitch for you, doesn't this look better to you?
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:17 AM   #837
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a Firefox issue. The trick is to type your reply, then hit "Go Advanced", clean up the line spacing, then post. One extra step, but it helps.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 09:10 AM   #838
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's a Firefox issue. The trick is to type your reply, then hit "Go Advanced", clean up the line spacing, then post. One extra step, but it helps.
The extra lines spaces drive me nuts. Sometimes I'll publish my post, then go back and edit the lines out. Several extra steps.

Where is this "go advanced" thing you mention? I don't see it anywhere on the message icons.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:24 AM   #839
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:54 AM   #840
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can also “preview post”, and then in your text box, it shows the extra lines and you can delete them before posting it.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote