Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 04:12 PM   #8361
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
It’s funny that people say that we have replacements for Brodie, but not for Hamonic. I get that it is subjective, but I’d say we are a better team with 2 Brodie’s and 0 Hamonics, than the other way around.

For all the talk of what has made Brodie good in his good years vs. bad in his bad years, it doesn’t change that his play right now is a very good top pair D, and Hamonic is still a second pair guy, and that is where he should be.

I also see Brodie as a guy that can likely keep a high level of play for longer based on his style of play, whereas Hamonic is a warrior, but I see his play dropping sooner due to foot speed and injury issues.

I have to say, I really like Hammer. But I would probably be more likely to move him before Brodie.
Disagree...if Brodie was to get injured/traded, Hamonic could slide into that spot easily. It would be a different dynamic but i dont doubt for a second that the top pairing would suffer even one iota.

Hamonic was a top pairing guy in New York, and nothing indicates that has changed. He is also by far the more physical and better in his own zone player of the two.

Brodie is a better skater and passer, but we have guys that can do that, whereas we do not have another Hamonic type.

Either way someone has to go for asset management purposes.

Last edited by transplant99; 01-31-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:14 PM   #8362
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

re Rangers/Devils game, FWIW. Again with a limited NHL schedule doesn't necessarily mean anyhting

Dan Rice @DRdiabloTHW
Scouts here tonight: Edmonton (2), SJ, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Chicago, Ottawa, Colorado, Florida, Calgary (2), Anaheim, Minnesota, Philadelphia (2), Pittsburgh, Toronto (2), Boston, Vegas, Washington, NYI.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 04:16 PM   #8363
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

To CGY;
Panarin

To CBJ;
1st
Dube
Stone

Johnny - Mony - Lindy
Tkachuk - Backlund - Panarin
Bennett - Janko - Neal
Frolik - Ryan - Hathaway

PP1
Johnny - Mony - Panarin
Giordano - Lindholm

PP2
Tkachuk - Janko - Bennett
Brodie - Andersson

Thoughts?
Old 01-31-2019, 04:19 PM   #8364
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflamesgo18 View Post
To CGY;
Panarin

To CBJ;
1st
Dube
Stone

Johnny - Mony - Lindy
Tkachuk - Backlund - Panarin
Bennett - Janko - Neal
Frolik - Ryan - Hathaway

PP1
Johnny - Mony - Panarin
Giordano - Lindholm

PP2
Tkachuk - Janko - Bennett
Brodie - Andersson

Thoughts?
They could get a much better deal than 31st overall, a mid range prospect and a salary dump. I think you'd have to add valimaki and that should be a no go
The Following User Says Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 04:22 PM   #8365
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Brodie was UFA at the end of this season, there is no way he gets moved given our standings. Why would we assume next season would be any different?
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 04:41 PM   #8366
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
They could get a much better deal than 31st overall, a mid range prospect and a salary dump. I think you'd have to add valimaki and that should be a no go
Id say Dube is a bit more than a mid range prospect. CBJ might want a skilled NHL ready player though for their playoff run, in which case I dont think flames have anyone theyd be willing to trade
Old 01-31-2019, 04:47 PM   #8367
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Insider trading:
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider...nators~1600605

technically no news on Duchene and Stone contract talks with Sens
Duchene's agent and Dorion will talk in the next day or two
dialog will continue with Stone's ca,[

McKenzie doesn't get the sense that huge progress is being made
McKenzie's pessimism that neither guy will stay in Ottawa is more anecdotal based than empirical

If Duchene, Stone, and Panarin go to market, NHL GMs say it is virtually unprecedented to have this elite rental crop
Factor in the availability of Simmonds, Ferland, Brassard, and many other forwards that are available in trade, it will be a buyer's market.
The prices that teams will get will be suppressed with so many guys available

Count the Jets as watching Stone and Duchene situation carefully
Jets are in the market for a forward, could be a bottom 6 guy or a hometown homerun in Winnipeg native Mark Stone.

Since Panarin's agent released his statement, several contenders have contacted the BJs inquiring what is going on
Panthers are not a contender, but Tallon has interest in both Panarin and Bobrovsky and might even make a move for them before the trade deadline rather than wait for free agency

LeBrun finds it hard to believe that Duncan Keith will switch teams, but Chicago will ask Keith what he wants to do before the trade deadline
Keith has a full NTC so he has full control of his future
Bowman will ask Keith if he wants to go to a contender or stay with Hawks through a rebuild

Dreger says that teams are 100% preparing offer sheets for Mitch Marner and teams are hoping Marner's agent stays true to his word that there will be no contract negotations until the end of the season
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 04:58 PM   #8368
420since1974
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I am doubtful that any of the Flame's defense-men get moved at this season's TDL.
Next season, Brodie (LHRD), Hamonic (RHRD), and Stone (RHRD) will all 28 years old and on the last year of their contracts which will leave them as UFAs.

My guess is that Stone gets traded no later than next season's TDL, one of Brodie/Hamonic will be allowed to walk after the 2019/2020 playoffs, and the other will receive a new contract. I can't see either getting moved at either TDL, as long as Calgary is still in the playoff hunt.

I really wish that we could keep both of Brodie and Hamonic. That pair plus Andersson has made the RH side of the defense look darn good so far this season. Even during the couple of games on the Top pairing with Giordano, Andersson did not look out of place.

Hanifin, Valimaki, and Kylington all look good for the LH side for when Gio retires, but Kylington is in the small group of players that I feel we will lose one of during the expansion draft.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:00 PM   #8369
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
If Brodie was UFA at the end of this season, there is no way he gets moved given our standings. Why would we assume next season would be any different?
If he gets moved, it will be during the off-season; likely at the draft. If he doesn't get moved and the team is where it is now next season, of course they won't be sellers.

But one thing is for sure, the team needs to ship out some salary and Brodie is going to be commanding a big raise the following year. Plus, we would be selling high after a couple of "meh" seasons from him. We could get a really good prospect or draft pick to help re-stock the system and get some talent on an ELC in the near future. It would be solid asset management.

So if not Brodie, who gets shipped out to make cap room? Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Gio, Tkachuk, Backlund? I like Brodie, but I keep practically every other star player before him (and no one is taking Neal). In terms of team success, I don't think Brodie is in the top 5 players on the team. He is good and I like him, but I don't see him as critical after this season.

As the poster above mentioned, we have prospects that are stepping up and play a Brodie-like game. Hamonic brings an important element that we would have trouble replacing within the system.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 01-31-2019 at 05:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 05:24 PM   #8370
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Insider trading:
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider...nators~1600605

Dreger says that teams are 100% preparing offer sheets for Mitch Marner and teams are hoping Marner's agent stays true to his word that there will be no contract negotations until the end of the season
its dreger, but that's interesting... if a team offers Matthews at 10M or under the penalty is 2x1st, 2nd and a 3rd...

not as daunting a payout
Old 01-31-2019, 05:32 PM   #8371
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would be surprised if Treliving deals Brodie. Also, I think that people forget how good Brodie was WITHOUT Giordano for a very long stretch playing with Engelland, and playing on his off-side. He played so well, that had it not been for the Ferland freight train, Brodie would most likely have been singled out as the best player for the Flames in those two rounds.

Brodie is fine on the left side. What he wasn't fine with was playing Gulutzan's system. How do I know? Listen to his interview during garbage bag day last season. He himself stated that he prefers to handle the puck more and attack more, rather than sitting back. That is where the strength of his game is, and that is how he actually defends exceptionally well to boot. Right now, Brodie is the 'defensive presence' on that pairing with Giordano, as Giordano is jumping up into the play a heck of a lot more. He is doing well defending, and he is consistently making really good choices out there in all three zones. That's not Giordano whispering in his ear. The two compliment each other nicely, but it is selling Brodie incredibly short that it is only because of Giordano, or only because of playing on his preferred side, as the rationale of why he is good again this year. It has a whole lot more to do with the system than people are giving him credit for.

ALL the defencemen look better this year. Giordano looks better. Hamonic looks better. Brodie looks better. Andersson looks better. Stone hasn't got any meaningful games in, so we can't judge him. I think that Peters' system change has a heck of a lot more to do with the Flames' success than people are giving Peters credit for, actually. Some people are tired of reading deprecating remarks about Gulutzan, but yes, he was THAT bad.

I used this metaphor a lot last season (probably the season before as well). The Flames have racehorses for defencemen, and Gulutzan tried to use them more like plough horses. It would have been great if the team had 6 Regehr-types that don't move the puck that well, but essentially all their defencemen move the puck nicely, including Hamonic (who is probably the weakest link on the team in that capacity out of the starting 6/7, if you include Kylington and Valimaki).

I had a bet with my buddy that Giordano would get 60+ points this season, with Brodie getting around 45 or so, and they would both be high plus players. I was a bit off with Brodie's numbers, but I was right in the overall sentiment - this team's biggest strength still lies in the fact that they can transition incredibly quickly. Teams know this and always have to be more careful when playing Calgary, and this does allow for less cheating by teams on offence. You have to respect Calgary's ability to transition lightning-quick. That's how the Flames score so many empty-netters this year as compared to last year, for instance. Teams HAVE to cheat at that point, and Calgary is so good at just breaking out quickly and accurately. Brodie is a huge piece of that - he is good on the PP (his passing/ability to create offence is really good, even if he doesn't possess a blistering shot from the point). He is good on the PK. He is good at 5v5. He is unquestionably Calgary's 2nd best defencemen in OT. That's versatility. Granteed is absolutely right in that category.

Flames took a gamble on trading Hamilton last season. Rumoured to having been wanting to move on might have been the biggest factor, but teams started calling Calgary and they got an offer they felt they couldn't refuse. A 1st for Brodie is not an offer they can't refuse. I really believe that because Treliving was here and saw firsthand for himself how good Giordano and Brodie played with one another, it helped offset the risk of moving a top-pairing defencemen.

Andersson is a great young guy - much better than I thought he would be. However, his foot speed is something that top lines will try to exploit at times. I don't think he is ready to move up. Hamonic doesn't move the puck well enough in my opinion to just seamlessly replace Brodie. The only area where Hamonic is better than Brodie is right in front of the net in moving out bodies - otherwise, Brodie is just as good if not better defensively. You can't move out Brodie unless you are sure you have a replacement that can come in and do his job without too much of a hiccup. Flames don't have that.

Giordano is also getting older. Hanifin has been MUCH better than advertised defensively, but he is not rock-solid like Giordano is. However, Flames have 3 shots at the can on that left side - Hanifin, Valimaki and Kylington - all really good, smart, great skating, 2-way defencemen. Even then I don't think Giordano gets traded given his role.

I think it is more likely Hamonic gets dealt, or Kylington. That 2nd pairing has been rock-steady though, and I would hate to break it up. I would hate to get rid of any of Valimaki, Kylington or Andersson. I do think in the off-season that it will happen, but I would be shocked if it was Brodie. There is nobody on that right side that is capable of replacing Brodie.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 05:37 PM   #8372
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
its dreger, but that's interesting... if a team offers Matthews at 10M or under the penalty is 2x1st, 2nd and a 3rd...

not as daunting a payout
A) Matthews does not sign an offer sheet for under $11.5M (Tavares money)

b) ...and the Leafs match in a heartbeat
Old 01-31-2019, 05:55 PM   #8373
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post

not as daunting a payout
You mean Marner? Matthews is getting 12M plus.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:57 PM   #8374
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneto View Post
A) Matthews does not sign an offer sheet for under $11.5M (Tavares money)

b) ...and the Leafs match in a heartbeat
The offer sheets are being prepared for Marner, not Matthews...
Old 01-31-2019, 06:05 PM   #8375
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Andersson is a great young guy - much better than I thought he would be. However, his foot speed is something that top lines will try to exploit at times. I don't think he is ready to move up. Hamonic doesn't move the puck well enough in my opinion to just seamlessly replace Brodie. The only area where Hamonic is better than Brodie is right in front of the net in moving out bodies - otherwise, Brodie is just as good if not better defensively. You can't move out Brodie unless you are sure you have a replacement that can come in and do his job without too much of a hiccup. Flames don't have that.

Giordano is also getting older. Hanifin has been MUCH better than advertised defensively, but he is not rock-solid like Giordano is. However, Flames have 3 shots at the can on that left side - Hanifin, Valimaki and Kylington - all really good, smart, great skating, 2-way defencemen. Even then I don't think Giordano gets traded given his role.

I think it is more likely Hamonic gets dealt, or Kylington. That 2nd pairing has been rock-steady though, and I would hate to break it up. I would hate to get rid of any of Valimaki, Kylington or Andersson. I do think in the off-season that it will happen, but I would be shocked if it was Brodie. There is nobody on that right side that is capable of replacing Brodie.

I'm with you - I'd rather keep Brodie and move someone else too, probably Hamonic unless Brodie wants over $6 million on his next contract. I don't think Gio would be as effective with Hamonic for the reasons you've stated.

Our other defensemen might have the skillset to replace Brodie but there's big question marks with each of them. Andersson's lack of foot speed is a concern. Valimaki/Kylington/Hanifin are all naturally LD, if one of them has to switch over I'd rather have one of them build themselves up slowly on RD on the 2nd/3rd pairings.

Replacing Hamonic with one of younger D is less risky than replacing Brodie with one of younger D IMO.

Last edited by mile; 01-31-2019 at 06:08 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 06:12 PM   #8376
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
I'm with you - I'd rather keep Brodie and move someone else too, probably Hamonic unless Brodie wants over $6 million on his next contract. I don't think Gio would be as effective with Hamonic for the reasons you've stated.

Our other defensemen might have the skillset to replace Brodie but there's big question marks with each of them. Andersson's lack of foot speed is a concern. Valimaki/Kylington/Hanifin are all naturally LD, if one of them has to switch over I'd rather have one of them build themselves up slowly on RD on the 2nd/3rd pairings.

Replacing Hamonic with one of younger D is less risky than replacing Brodie with one of younger D IMO.
I am almost certain that he will want more than $6 million per season and will test the market. The Flames won't be able to pay it without some restructuring, but there will be other teams that can easily do it.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:18 PM   #8377
Captaincanada80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
The offer sheets are being prepared for Marner, not Matthews...
A strategy I could see being implyed this year is rivals of that team (Boston, Montreal) offering Matthews 4yr/50M to Matthews and 4yr/40M to Marner to take them right to UFA status. The team I believe only has the right to match the offer once signed by the player.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:19 PM   #8378
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
You mean Marner? Matthews is getting 12M plus.
Doesnt sound like it.

If a couple of the insiders are accurate, he will sign a 5 year deal which will bring his aav to somewhere around 10M per apparently.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:31 PM   #8379
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Doesnt sound like it.

If a couple of the insiders are accurate, he will sign a 5 year deal which will bring his aav to somewhere around 10M per apparently.
that's what i've been hearing as well... lower AVV for lesser term length...

will that actually happen? who knows, but it is a possibility from the current information.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:46 PM   #8380
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've brought it up already, but what about Justin Williams? Not slow, big time playoff performer, current Hurricane. I'm sure he'll be dealt to a contender, and I see a position for him on the bottom two lines. Chances?
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread