Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 09:41 AM   #8281
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I just can't see Treliving being quiet. He's not known as a sit on your hands GM to begin with, but with Gaudreau having three years past this year the Flames window is pretty much defined at four years starting this Spring.

I think he does more than many think ... go for it now, but also to reward this group for a great season.

All bets off if they slide though.
I'm coming around to this way of thinking. I thought Treliving would be fairly quiet this deadline so as not to upset the chemistry on the team. After reading Lebrun's comments that he thinks Calgary is going to be aggressive, it does start to make sense. If, as Lebrun says, Treliving let Ferland go in the Carolina deal because they felt they had Reeves coming in then I could see Treliving bringing in a player that can make his teammates a little taller. Ferland, Simmonds or perhaps Maroon.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:45 AM   #8282
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Scouting the Pittsburgh Penguins and Tampa Bay Lightning
Seth Rorabaugh: Scouts listed to attended last night’s Penguins-Lightning game: Calgary Flames (2)

A Ferland trade could come sooner than later
TSN: Pierre LeBrun says that in a perfect world the Carolina Hurricanes would trade forward Micheal Ferland sooner than later – in the next week or two if they get an offer they are happy with. Ferland is a power forward and a player who gets hurt.

“I don’t think they want to risk waiting until Feb. 25 and see his trade value drop if he gets hurt. So yes, whether it’s conversations they’re having with teams I believe like Boston or Nashville or Pittsburgh, and there’s other contenders in there, if there’s a fit in the next week or two, I think they’ll pull the trigger.”
https://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rum...es/2019/01/31/
Old 01-31-2019, 09:51 AM   #8283
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Staying put is risky at the deadline for a contender. It gives the other power houses a chance to add a difference maker which hurts your team despite not giving up anything (depending on chemistry).

If you think you can win the cup this year, go for it. Give up your 1st round pick knowing you can recoup it at the deadline by moving a blue liner with a year left on their deal.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:03 AM   #8284
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Flames biggest window and this year and next. I cant see Gio keeping up his play at this level past next year. Also, Hamonic and Brodie's deals expire, we lost someone good to Seattle, and Neal becomes a bigger anchor.

Everything is going well for the Flames this season - similar to the Ca es in '06 and the Lighting in '04. A pick in the 20s is the least of my worries to increase our cup chances by 5% (arbitrary number).

Mark Stone, come on down!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Niemo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 10:06 AM   #8285
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames do have a window right now but tough to say this year and next is their best shot. Tkachuk, Hanifin, Valimaki, Andersson, Kylington are all 22 or younger and have their best years coming up in the next 3-5 years.

I am definitely coming around to going after a big fish this deadline though especially if it is Mark Stone
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 10:07 AM   #8286
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I would luv to see a 3rd line centre for Neal and Bennett, move Janko to 4th line and get that line producing and as stated add some toughness and have the team stand a little taller.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:09 AM   #8287
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/st...19618167259138

Jamie McGinn is on waivers. He is in the last year of his contract, which has a AAV of $3.3M. Are there any takers?
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 10:10 AM   #8288
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
I would luv to see a 3rd line centre for Neal and Bennett, move Janko to 4th line and get that line producing and as stated add some toughness and have the team stand a little taller.
Brassard would be a nice fit. Pens want a 3C in return so what else do we need to add to Ryan to make that deal work? This move frees up $3.15M for the summer as well
Old 01-31-2019, 10:11 AM   #8289
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Our guys are young, but injuries, contracts, flat development, etc. I truly believe that hockey is a sport where you have to catch lightning in a bottle and run with it as hard as you can because it will run out with little signs of doing so prior. ( sorry for the poor analogy, Haha)
Old 01-31-2019, 10:11 AM   #8290
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/st...19618167259138

Jamie McGinn is on waivers. He is in the last year of his contract, which has a AAV of $3.3M. Are there any takers?
He hasn't played this season. He had back surgery in September. Will be hard to take him when he will need a lot of time to get back up to speed.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 10:12 AM   #8291
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

McGinn is like a slightly-better Maroon with a much higher cap hit, plus he has substantial injury issues. Can't see a claim, the Panthers would have to retain salary -- and there has to be a better option.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:20 AM   #8292
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Give up your 1st round pick knowing you can recoup it at the deadline by moving a blue liner with a year left on their deal.
I doubt a team going for it is then turning around and moving a current piece at the deadline.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:27 AM   #8293
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Staying put is risky at the deadline for a contender. It gives the other power houses a chance to add a difference maker which hurts your team despite not giving up anything (depending on chemistry).

If you think you can win the cup this year, go for it. Give up your 1st round pick knowing you can recoup it at the deadline by moving a blue liner with a year left on their deal.
The Flames are not trading any of Giordano, Brodie, or Hamonic.

The Flames are also not recouping a 1st round pick with Stone.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 01-31-2019, 10:29 AM   #8294
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Maroon would be a fine pickup for like a 6th-rounder. He can step in and play. But there should be no real assets sent back. It's like the Wild paying a 6th for Jones years ago -- and Jones was having a better year than Maroon is.
I actually like the idea of the Flames adding Maroon. Gives us a veteran banger/crasher that can play on the fourth line and not mess with the chemistry of the room or our Top 6. He would also likely come cheap.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:34 AM   #8295
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKurgan View Post
I actually like the idea of the Flames adding Maroon. Gives us a veteran banger/crasher that can play on the fourth line and not mess with the chemistry of the room or our Top 6. He would also likely come cheap.
Or just put Conny on a plane to go get Bouma from Europe...
Old 01-31-2019, 10:34 AM   #8296
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yeah, Maroon wouldn't be bad, necessarily. If it's cheap, fine, do it, whatever. Maroon averages a little over 2 hits per game, which is decent -- he'd probably be the third-most prolific hitter on the Flames, behind Hathaway and Bennett. He's not an especially great goal-scorer, but for a cheap price, it would be... fine.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:34 AM   #8297
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKurgan View Post
I don’t see St Louis selling anymore. I think they are going to make the playoffs.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:45 AM   #8298
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would suck not to have a 1st two years in a row. I hope if Brad trades a 1st it's the 2020 1st. Even though we are in 1st place this year, so next year's pick is likely to be a little better.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:46 AM   #8299
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Unless Mangiapane can start contributing on the score sheet I don't think he is the best option for the playoffs. So if you don't find a cheap veteran like Maroon we are going to be looking at one of Quine/Lazar/Peluso/Lomberg with Hathaway/Ryan as our fourth line. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence
Old 01-31-2019, 10:47 AM   #8300
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Treliving will split the difference between going all in and doing nothing... targeting the second-tier players like Zuccarello or Hayes. Guys like that might not cost a 1st round pick... more likely a 2nd round pick + a prospect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread