Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 11:40 AM   #8281
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
How is that even possible
Almost as if coaching hires and systems have a tangible impact on results.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 11:42 AM   #8282
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Are we even sure they would do any better here ? I keep seeing all theses posts bla bla we need a leader like Eichel yadda yadda. If he cant get Buff out of the dumpster would he be any better here? He cant drag a team on his back like McDavid can.
I'd love to get Eichel but there's a lot of truth here.
He's not McDavid or McKinnon. Some of the trade proposals here give way too much IMO.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:42 AM   #8283
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be hilarious if Hall took that stupid one year deal and played himself into a ####tier contract. I mean he already launched more red flags just by signing there, but tacking on a brutal season on top? So braindead.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:46 AM   #8284
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think Skinner cancels out at least 70% of Eichel's value. Maybe 50% of Eichel's value if Skinner is 25% retained.

In that case, Monahan is basically enough to get it done. Of course more would have to be added for cap purposes.

Mittelstadt and Tkachuk shouldn't be necessary.

And I get that Eichel only has 2 goals, but he still has 14 points in 17 games. He's tied with Reinhart for the highest point per game on the team.

Speaking of Reinhart, I think he's the most attractive piece on Buffalo (he's obviously worse than Eichel, but he would be great on the Flames). Sam Reinhart has always been a big Flames fan (I remember him saying that the Calgary Flames are his favorite team) and is a right handed C/RW. RFA this year.
I just don't see why Buffalo would want to trade him, unless contract talks fall apart.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:47 AM   #8285
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Almost as if coaching hires, and systems have a tangible impact on results.
They have the same coach as last year, when Eichel scored 78 points in 68 games. I’d imagine he hasn’t changed systems.

Phil Housely had Eichel scoring over PPG and Skinner scored 40 goals. Cup winning coach Dan Bylsma had zero success with the Sabres. Maybe it’s not the coach.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:49 AM   #8286
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
Only two trading options for Skinner. To a terrible team that needs to meet the cap floor, right after Buffalo pays one of his 7.5mil signing bonuses, or to one of the few major teams that repeatedly get away with cap circumvention who will then him on LTIR for something.
Even if a team needs to make the floor (which I frankly have never seen a team struggle to do) it’s not like they are expecting to do so for 6 more years after this. The term is the killer.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:50 AM   #8287
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Are we even sure they would do any better here ? I keep seeing all theses posts bla bla we need a leader like Eichel yadda yadda. If he cant get Buff out of the dumpster would he be any better here? He cant drag a team on his back like McDavid can.
What are you saying about me now?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 11:56 AM   #8288
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Listening to the fan there is some discussion that Buffalo might try and package Skinner with Eichel in any deal. I feel like that is the only way the Flames could make a realistic play for Eichel because the Rangers or Kings can dangle better prospects and cap flexibility but both would likely shy away from a Skinner contract.

Monahan+Gaudreau+Hanifin
For
Eichel and Skinner

Pretty much works cap wise. I doubt it is what Buffalo would be after.
Sorry, but the FAN has no idea what they are talking about.

No doubt, if the Sabres could package Skinner with Eichel, they would. However, they cannot.

From their perspective, it would significantly downgrade the return.

And from the other team's perspective, you can't pay $19M for one player - there is simply no way you can build a team around that. No way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 11:58 AM   #8289
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
They have the same coach as last year, when Eichel scored 78 points in 68 games. I’d imagine he hasn’t changed systems.

Phil Housely had Eichel scoring over PPG and Skinner scored 40 goals. Cup winning coach Dan Bylsma had zero success with the Sabres. Maybe it’s not the coach.
Holy crap, I didn’t realize Krueger had been there since 2019.

For some reason I was thinking they hired Krueger and signed Hall in one swoop.

The Sabres are a hot mess all over the place. Even looking back at this past draft, they took Jack Quinn with Rossi and Perfetti on the board.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:59 AM   #8290
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Listening to the fan there is some discussion that Buffalo might try and package Skinner with Eichel in any deal. I feel like that is the only way the Flames could make a realistic play for Eichel because the Rangers or Kings can dangle better prospects and cap flexibility but both would likely shy away from a Skinner contract.

Monahan+Gaudreau+Hanifin
For
Eichel and Skinner

Pretty much works cap wise. I doubt it is what Buffalo would be after.
This just doesn't make any sense because now the Flames are worse than Buffalo after this trade. What good does that do the Flames or Eichel?
Old 03-02-2021, 11:59 AM   #8291
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lots of talk about Skinner getting strapped to an Eichel move and Flames trying to strap Lucic.

First of all I think Eichel's value is so high that Sabres could afford to strap Skinner to the deal. I personally don't think Flames have any leverage to be strapping Lucic to any deal so we need to accept that he will be with us for the remaining of his contract.

If Flames do make a deal to get Eichel that include Skinner, in my opinion I can't see it being as bad as we think. Skinner has had success and he was trending when he was playing with Lindholm. He'll never be able to be worth 9 million for sure. We just have to make moves to shed salary. This is a job of a GM anyway. Not really trying to make miracles of course.

But what if adding Eichel allows Johnny to return to a point per game player and possibly having two 100 point players in Eichel and Gaudreau? What if Skinner can return to producing at 50+ points?

I know this is a bunch of "what ifs" but the current state of the Flames is what we know it is, mediocre. What is points worth in dollars?

As a scenario dollars to points value:
If we can get say 300 points between 4 players for 32 million, would that be worth it?

Eichel 100 points 10 million
Gaudreau 100 points 6.8 million
Lindholm 60-70 points 4.9 million
Skinner 50 points 9 million
Old 03-02-2021, 12:00 PM   #8292
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Bored this morning so for ####s and giggles.

To Vancouver: Bennett + Hanifin
To Calgary: Boeser
1.65M Savings
lol

Seriously, why would VAN do this? If you were DimJim, would you consider this?
Old 03-02-2021, 12:03 PM   #8293
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
lol

Seriously, why would VAN do this? If you were DimJim, would you consider this?
I’m trying to get into Benning’s brain, but it’s a tight squeeze.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 12:03 PM   #8294
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Lots of talk about Skinner getting strapped to an Eichel move and Flames trying to strap Lucic.

First of all I think Eichel's value is so high that Sabres could afford to strap Skinner to the deal. I personally don't think Flames have any leverage to be strapping Lucic to any deal so we need to accept that he will be with us for the remaining of his contract.

If Flames do make a deal to get Eichel that include Skinner, in my opinion I can't see it being as bad as we think. Skinner has had success and he was trending when he was playing with Lindholm. He'll never be able to be worth 9 million for sure. We just have to make moves to shed salary. This is a job of a GM anyway. Not really trying to make miracles of course.

But what if adding Eichel allows Johnny to return to a point per game player and possibly having two 100 point players in Eichel and Gaudreau? What if Skinner can return to producing at 50+ points?

I know this is a bunch of "what ifs" but the current state of the Flames is what we know it is, mediocre. What is points worth in dollars?

As a scenario dollars to points value:
If we can get say 300 points between 4 players for 32 million, would that be worth it?

Eichel 100 points 10 million
Gaudreau 100 points 6.8 million
Lindholm 60-70 points 4.9 million
Skinner 50 points 9 million
how is Skinner getting 50 points? The only way that happens is if you play him with Gaudreau and Eichel - which would be stupid
Old 03-02-2021, 12:04 PM   #8295
Dude Where's Makar?
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My targets would be would be Forsberg and Zibanejad.
Despite his terrible start to the year, it could be a great opportunity to acquire an upgrade on Monahan that also has a RHS.

Forsberg would address our top RW problem and make us more difficult to play against.

I'd try and make deals around Monahan for Zibenjad and Gaudreau for Forsberg. Add pieces/pics to make deals work.

Tkachuk - Zibenjad - Forsberg
Mangi - Backlund - Lindholm

A very swedish top 6 with plenty of RHS options. Just my dream, but one that isn't too far fetched.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:07 PM   #8296
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
how is Skinner getting 50 points? The only way that happens is if you play him with Gaudreau and Eichel - which would be stupid
You obviously didn't read my post. Not suggesting he is going to get 50 points, I don't have a crystal ball. Just saying if he can get back to it somehow and also saying he had previous chemistry with Lindholm which may provide possibility to do so.

And no where in my post did I say he's playing with Gaudreau and Eichel. So just take a step back and read the whole post before calling it "stupid".
Old 03-02-2021, 12:09 PM   #8297
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
This just doesn't make any sense because now the Flames are worse than Buffalo after this trade. What good does that do the Flames or Eichel?
It would give the Flames a franchise center to go along with their franchise goalie and they would just be missing the franchise Dman.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:12 PM   #8298
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It would give the Flames a franchise center to go along with their franchise goalie and they would just be missing the franchise Dman.
But now they are stuck with Skinner's contract and could not possibly add anything else.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:14 PM   #8299
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Where's Makar? View Post
My targets would be would be Forsberg and Zibanejad.
Despite his terrible start to the year, it could be a great opportunity to acquire an upgrade on Monahan that also has a RHS.

Forsberg would address our top RW problem and make us more difficult to play against.

I'd try and make deals around Monahan for Zibenjad and Gaudreau for Forsberg. Add pieces/pics to make deals work.

Tkachuk - Zibenjad - Forsberg
Mangi - Backlund - Lindholm

A very swedish top 6 with plenty of RHS options. Just my dream, but one that isn't too far fetched.
Gaudreau has way more value than Forsberg so no way in hell I would be happy if we had to add to make this work.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:26 PM   #8300
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
You obviously didn't read my post. Not suggesting he is going to get 50 points, I don't have a crystal ball. Just saying if he can get back to it somehow and also saying he had previous chemistry with Lindholm which may provide possibility to do so.

And no where in my post did I say he's playing with Gaudreau and Eichel. So just take a step back and read the whole post before calling it "stupid".
Relax.

I didn't call your post stupid, I said playing Skinner with Eichel and Gaudreau would be stupid. And at no time did I imply you were suggesting that.

But if he isn't playing with them, there is no way in hell he is getting 50 points.

You listed a bunch of what ifs, and I replied with an opinion that one of the what ifs has no chance of happening.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread