Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #801
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

NASA announces Hubble spots most distant object ever seen:

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/arc...eases/2011/05/

Quote:
Now astronomers have pushed the Hubble Space Telescope to its limits by finding what they believe is the most distant object ever seen in the universe. Its light traveled 13.2 billion years to reach Hubble. The dim object is a compact galaxy of blue stars that existed 480 million years after the Big Bang, only four percent of the universe's current age.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:57 PM   #802
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post

Really makes you feel tiny & insignificant doesn't it...
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #803
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:

Ryan Smyth, as viewed from the perspective of an LA Kings goaltender?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #804
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe my pee brain just can't grasp all this but theres something I haven't been able to understand about this "age of the universe" stuff.

It says it's light traveled 13.2 billion years to reach Hubble, If the object was there 13.2 billion years ago and the universe started from one single spot with the big bang and since nothing can travel faster than light wouldn't that make the universe at least 26.4 billion years old?

Help me out here.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #805
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
Maybe my pee brain just can't grasp all this but theres something I haven't been able to understand about this "age of the universe" stuff.

It says it's light traveled 13.2 billion years to reach Hubble, If the object was there 13.2 billion years ago and the universe started from one single spot with the big bang and since nothing can travel faster than light wouldn't that make the universe at least 26.4 billion years old?

Help me out here.
I came across this a while back that might partially explain it: http://scienceblogs.com/startswithab...rse_so_big.php

I'm no physicist either and general relativity makes my head hurt almost as much as quantum physics does.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #806
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
I came across this a while back that might partially explain it: http://scienceblogs.com/startswithab...rse_so_big.php

I'm no physicist either and general relativity makes my head hurt almost as much as quantum physics does.
Just like the galaxies painted on to the surface of this balloon aren't moving but are getting farther apart, because the balloon is expanding, the real galaxies in the Universe are getting farther and farther away from one another (and, therefore, from us), but due to the expansion of spacetime

But the stuff that's 46.6 billion light years away now was much closer in the past, and the total distance that light has traveled to reach us is 13.7 billion light years; it's just that the Universe has kept on expanding throughout that light's journey.

That's why the light gets redshifted; that's why the galaxies look like they're moving away from us. But what we're seeing is actually the expansion of the Universe, and the expansion continues before the light was emitted, during its travels to us, and after we've received it; and that's how the observable Universe can be 93 billion light years across, even though it's only 13.7 billion years old!

Last edited by troutman; 01-26-2011 at 03:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
T@T
Old 01-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #807
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post

Very well explained...thanks for the great link!

I now know how to beat the time travel problem, pop that balloon.

Last edited by T@T; 01-26-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #808
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The universe didn't start with one single spot, it was just more and more dense the earlier and earlier you go. A singularity is a mathematical artifact that tells you your theory isn't up to the task of describing your phenomenon.

And nothing can accelerate to and past the speed of light, but things "move" faster than light all the time, depending on your definition of what "move" is. To move, you need a set of coordinates, and that's something that is very different in GR than it is to our normal idea of Cartesian coordinates. See Comoving coordinates.

There are galaxies that are receding away from us at faster than the speed of light right now, but they aren't moving through space faster than light in their own frame of reference. Space is expanding so the galaxy is being carried away from us faster than light.

Think of it this way. Shine one flashlight in one direction, and another in another. To you, the distance between the "front" of the beams of light is increasing at 2 times the speed of light, and that's ok.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
T@T
Old 01-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #809
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #810
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Astronomy pictures taken at Tikal:

http://www.astrosurf.com/sguisard/Pagim/Tikal1.html

Old 01-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #811
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Man, that makes me want to sacrifice a virgin!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #812
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Astronomy pictures taken at Tikal:

http://www.astrosurf.com/sguisard/Pagim/Tikal1.html

Look, it's Betelgeuse. Our soon too be second sun
Old 01-26-2011, 06:01 PM   #813
robocop
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Just like the galaxies painted on to the surface of this balloon aren't moving but are getting farther apart, because the balloon is expanding, the real galaxies in the Universe are getting farther and farther away from one another (and, therefore, from us), but due to the expansion of spacetime

But the stuff that's 46.6 billion light years away now was much closer in the past, and the total distance that light has traveled to reach us is 13.7 billion light years; it's just that the Universe has kept on expanding throughout that light's journey.

That's why the light gets redshifted; that's why the galaxies look like they're moving away from us. But what we're seeing is actually the expansion of the Universe, and the expansion continues before the light was emitted, during its travels to us, and after we've received it; and that's how the observable Universe can be 93 billion light years across, even though it's only 13.7 billion years old!
funny thing is this doesn't answer T@T's question at all. I read a lot about physics and still can't quite grasp how lightspeed effects the actual shape of the universe. below is a picture of the universe from hubble showing the thermodynamic state of matter, except that it's coming from different sources from different distances so this isn't really what things look like, and that's what T@T was asking or hinting at.

Last edited by robocop; 01-26-2011 at 06:04 PM.
robocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #814
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop View Post
funny thing is this doesn't answer T@T's question at all. I read a lot about physics and still can't quite grasp how lightspeed effects the actual shape of the universe. below is a picture of the universe from hubble showing the thermodynamic state of matter, except that it's coming from different sources from different distances so this isn't really what things look like, and that's what T@T was asking or hinting at.

Oh the confusion

From what I gather so far they are saying that the visible universe (light from galaxies) can only travel at light speed, but the dark/invisible space expanding these galaxies is much faster...kind of my layman's way of understanding it anyway.

BTW I don't think thats from Hubble, can't remember what took that snapshot but it was some kind of background radiation probe from nasa.

Last edited by T@T; 01-26-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #815
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's from the WMAP satellite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilkins...isotropy_Probe
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #816
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Ok, I have another question (last one today I promise)

If in-fact this video explains expansion(balloon theory) how is it that galaxies collide? It happens all the time, Even our own milky way is suppose to collide with the Andromeda galaxy in a about 3 billion years.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #817
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, I have another question (last one today I promise)

If in-fact this video explains expansion(balloon theory) how is it that galaxies collide? It happens all the time, Even our own milky way is suppose to collide with the Andromeda galaxy in a about 3 billion years.
You could also ask why do solar systems stay together. The expansion is quite weak and is only significant over very long distances.. the distances between galactic clusters and greater. At "smaller" distances (like the distances between galaxies in galaxy clusters) gravity is stronger, so gravity dominates. Andromeda is moving towards us because gravity dominates at that scale.

Same thing for our solar system, the expansion is so weak at that scale the gravity of the sun dominates, or the electromagnetic, weak, and strong forces dominate at the size of our bodies.

Quote:
funny thing is this doesn't answer T@T's question at all. I read a lot about physics and still can't quite grasp how lightspeed effects the actual shape of the universe.
The "shape" of the universe isn't dictated by light speed, it's dictated by the mass in the universe and the nature of gravity. What you're looking for is called the Friedmann–Lemaître–Robertson–Walker metric, which is the current best guess about the geometry and topology of the universe.. infinite and flat best guess, though I think there's some other weird multi-dimensional shapes that could fit too.

Quote:
below is a picture of the universe from hubble showing the thermodynamic state of matter, except that it's coming from different sources from different distances so this isn't really what things look like, and that's what T@T was asking or hinting at.
That's the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation, basically a picture of the radiation when the universe became transparent as it cooled (called the surface of last scattering). This radiation has been redshifted so much as the universe expanded that it's now at a colour temperature of 2.725 Kelvin, and it'll continue to drop. What that picture shows is the variation in temperature (a variation of only micro Kelvin) of that radiation, which is due to the variations in density of the material of the universe when it became transparent.

More on CMBR: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_...ound_radiation

The thing with distance is it's not a simple definition due to the expanding universe, the limit of light speed, and time being relative, so any answer given (like that the universe is 46.5 billion light years in radius) is given with certain assumptions (like that distance is in comoving coordinates).

Plus we can only talk about the observable universe, that what we can ever possibly see.. the actual universe is probably far bigger, and likely infinite.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #818
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

photon, you are a complete science geek...I mean that with the uttermost respect.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #819
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
You could also ask why do solar systems stay together. The expansion is quite weak and is only significant over very long distances.. the distances between galactic clusters and greater. At "smaller" distances (like the distances between galaxies in galaxy clusters) gravity is stronger, so gravity dominates. Andromeda is moving towards us because gravity dominates at that scale.

Same thing for our solar system, the expansion is so weak at that scale the gravity of the sun dominates, or the electromagnetic, weak, and strong forces dominate at the size of our bodies.
I do understand the power of gravity and even the possibilty that it can force matter to go faster than the speed of light (black holes)

But that balloon theory doesn't really do it for me as they left out gravity and the effects it has on galaxies.

I think a theory that gravity and massive black holes are pulling galaxies apart is better than the total unexplained balloon theory.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:08 PM   #820
robocop
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I do understand the power of gravity and even the possibilty that it can force matter to go faster than the speed of light (black holes)

But that balloon theory doesn't really do it for me as they left out gravity and the effects it has on galaxies.

I think a theory that gravity and massive black holes are pulling galaxies apart is better than the total unexplained balloon theory.
black holes trap light because of the wave-particle duality nature of the photon as it travels by the event horizon, they don't cause light or mass to accelerate past the speed of light, they can create a lensing effect though.

My the point was that people take the image of the night sky as an image of what the universe looks like while the significance of relativity on simultaneity dictates that the universe has to be very different than we perceive it to be, then again can you really define something as having happened before the gravity waves reach an observation point? yeah I know that was the background radiation, i didn't mean to post that image.

and light-speed helps dictate the shape of the universe because gravity waves travel at c and thus a change in mass through antimatter interactions can only effect a certain point in space once the gravity reaches an observable point.

Last edited by robocop; 01-26-2011 at 09:17 PM.
robocop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biology , chemistry , physics , research , science