Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM   #801
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

acquiring a couple Cs in trade, then getting Buium or Parekh at the draft would be "some kinda good!"
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 05:10 PM   #802
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
acquiring a couple Cs in trade, then getting Buium or Parekh at the draft would be "some kinda good!"
And also a nice little bit of business.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 11:21 PM   #803
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want Helenius or Lindstrom still...top line centers are the hardest thing to get.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 10:48 AM   #804
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

I havent watched a ton of Hitmen games but can someone let me know what the knocks on Yakemchuk are? Over a ppg RD with size, whats the catch?
Tbull8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 01:18 PM   #805
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's starting to seem pretty likely that the BPA at the Flames' spot will be a defenseman, whether it's Buium, Parekh, Jiricek, or Yakemchuk. They all seem quite good.
Though you can't count out Iginla.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 01:22 PM   #806
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft preference today.
1. Lindstrom
2. Demidov
Everyone else.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:25 PM   #807
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
I havent watched a ton of Hitmen games but can someone let me know what the knocks on Yakemchuk are? Over a ppg RD with size, whats the catch?
I honestly don't know if he has any knocks against him. I've only seen him in person the once, but he was the only player on the Hitmen who impressed me in a lopsided loss to the Warriors.

Capfriendly sees his upside as first pairing. Pronman, Wheeler, and Cosentino all seem to like him. Hadi Kalakeche at DobberProspects says good things, and their algorithm says his production projects well. He needs to improve his defensive game, but what 17-year-old doesn't?
Old 02-29-2024, 02:06 PM   #808
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go to Upside Hockey and read my Profile of Yakemchuk.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 02:10 PM   #809
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Go to Upside Hockey and read my Profile of Yakemchuk.
A link would help!
Old 02-29-2024, 02:20 PM   #810
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, looks like it hasn’t been posted to the site yet…
Old 02-29-2024, 02:22 PM   #811
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, looks like it hasn’t been posted to the site yet…
That's fine. Please let us know when it's up!
Old 02-29-2024, 02:25 PM   #812
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
More Draft Thoughts:

RHD Carter Yakemchuk is a whirlwhind in the offensive zone, currently 4th in scoring by defensemen in the entire WHL, with 53 points in 49 games- an accomplishment even more impressive when considering that he's putting up these stats with the Hitmen, who are 16th in the league (although they are 9th in goals-for). At this time, he leads the Hitmen's blueline by a whopping 34 points. Yakemchuk is a bit older, with a September 29th birthday, meaning he missed being in last year's draft by only a few weeks, but he still had 47 points in 67 games in 2022-23. He had no points at the U-18's, and was mostly used in a background role, but he's a workhorse, capable of playing big minutes.

Yakemchuk is a play-driving force in the offensive zone. He activates quite often, rarely staying static at the point for very long, and will roam around the zone, with or without the puck, to make himself an option for a pass, or to exploit open spaces. He's highly aggressive, and plays with pace, applying pressure on defenders. He's a top-tier playmaker with outstanding vision, and processes the game at a high level. When working the point in the offensive zone, he stalks along the line, looking to pounce on seams as they open up- for a hard, accurate pass to high-danger, or the chance to unleash his lethal, NHL-caliber point shot. He's a crisp, accurate passer who can successfully thread the needle through layers of traffic, and he consistently makes good decisions with the puck. Yakemchuk has the high-IQ to problem-solve, and adapt to whatever unfolds in front of him. As one would guess, he can quarterback a PP very effectively.

Yak's skating is slightly above average, but might be considered fairly good for a player who measures 6'3", and 194lbs- he could stand to work on his first-step quickness, and explosiveness. His edgework and agility are excellent though, giving him good escapability. His puck-control is good enough that he can barge his way through traffic with full possession, and he can beat attackers with his slick 1-on-1 moves, and tight protection skills. If he can't make room for himself by being elusive, he can always rely on his mean, nasty disposition, and his heavy physical game. Yakemchuk is 3rd in the WHL for penalty-minutes, with 99- so he obviously doesn't care about winning any sportsmanship awards. He will hack, whack, and crosscheck opponents, and will mix it up between whistles- he will even drop the gloves on occasion. He makes himself a miserable opponent to play against, and was even showing his meanness at the CHL Top Prospects Game. He's highly competitive, has a good motor, and when he hits, he hits hard.

Defensively, Yak is quick to win possession to get the puck out of the zone, and excels at breakouts and stretch-passes. He's also very effective in transition, either by carrying it out and spearheading the rush, or by employing quick, short passes, and give-and-go's to turn the defense into offense. With his size and reach, combined with the use of his active stick, he is adept at keeping the crease clear, and boxing attackers out. He shows some defensive awareness, and is even trusted with PK duties for the Hitmen, but his play in the zone is spotty. There is not as much quickness or energy on the backcheck as there is when the puck is going North, and to his detriment, he's as much a rover in his own zone as he is when trying to create in the offensive zone. His positioning is a negative, his decision-making can be lacking, and he needs to learn better habits- he sometimes cheats for offense, leaving his man uncovered. He skates well, but needs to develop more quickness in going forward, and backward, although I thought his gap-control and overall defensive awareness looked ok at the U-18's. I still like this kid very much, and I think he'll iron out his deficiencies to make a fine top-pairing defenseman in the NHL. He'll go top-15 in the Draft.
Here it is.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 02:29 PM   #813
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Here it is.
Excellent! Thanks.

Sounds to me like he has the normal deficiencies of a kid his age. As long as he's coachable and wants to put in the work, he can overcome them.

Do you get the sense that his stock has been rising, falling, or holding steady?

Last edited by Jay Random; 02-29-2024 at 02:33 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Random For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 02:40 PM   #814
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
More Draft Thoughts:

RHD Carter Yakemchuk is a whirlwhind in the offensive zone, currently 4th in scoring by defensemen in the entire WHL, with 53 points in 49 games- an accomplishment even more impressive when considering that he's putting up these stats with the Hitmen, who are 16th in the league (although they are 9th in goals-for). At this time, he leads the Hitmen's blueline by a whopping 34 points. Yakemchuk is a bit older, with a September 29th birthday, meaning he missed being in last year's draft by only a few weeks, but he still had 47 points in 67 games in 2022-23. He had no points at the U-18's, and was mostly used in a background role, but he's a workhorse, capable of playing big minutes.

Yakemchuk is a play-driving force in the offensive zone. He activates quite often, rarely staying static at the point for very long, and will roam around the zone, with or without the puck, to make himself an option for a pass, or to exploit open spaces. He's highly aggressive, and plays with pace, applying pressure on defenders. He's a top-tier playmaker with outstanding vision, and processes the game at a high level. When working the point in the offensive zone, he stalks along the line, looking to pounce on seams as they open up- for a hard, accurate pass to high-danger, or the chance to unleash his lethal, NHL-caliber point shot. He's a crisp, accurate passer who can successfully thread the needle through layers of traffic, and he consistently makes good decisions with the puck. Yakemchuk has the high-IQ to problem-solve, and adapt to whatever unfolds in front of him. As one would guess, he can quarterback a PP very effectively.

Yak's skating is slightly above average, but might be considered fairly good for a player who measures 6'3", and 194lbs- he could stand to work on his first-step quickness, and explosiveness. His edgework and agility are excellent though, giving him good escapability. His puck-control is good enough that he can barge his way through traffic with full possession, and he can beat attackers with his slick 1-on-1 moves, and tight protection skills. If he can't make room for himself by being elusive, he can always rely on his mean, nasty disposition, and his heavy physical game. Yakemchuk is 3rd in the WHL for penalty-minutes, with 99- so he obviously doesn't care about winning any sportsmanship awards. He will hack, whack, and crosscheck opponents, and will mix it up between whistles- he will even drop the gloves on occasion. He makes himself a miserable opponent to play against, and was even showing his meanness at the CHL Top Prospects Game. He's highly competitive, has a good motor, and when he hits, he hits hard.

Defensively, Yak is quick to win possession to get the puck out of the zone, and excels at breakouts and stretch-passes. He's also very effective in transition, either by carrying it out and spearheading the rush, or by employing quick, short passes, and give-and-go's to turn the defense into offense. With his size and reach, combined with the use of his active stick, he is adept at keeping the crease clear, and boxing attackers out. He shows some defensive awareness, and is even trusted with PK duties for the Hitmen, but his play in the zone is spotty. There is not as much quickness or energy on the backcheck as there is when the puck is going North, and to his detriment, he's as much a rover in his own zone as he is when trying to create in the offensive zone. His positioning is a negative, his decision-making can be lacking, and he needs to learn better habits- he sometimes cheats for offense, leaving his man uncovered. He skates well, but needs to develop more quickness in going forward, and backward, although I thought his gap-control and overall defensive awareness looked ok at the U-18's. I still like this kid very much, and I think he'll iron out his deficiencies to make a fine top-pairing defenseman in the NHL. He'll go top-15 in the Draft.
Sounds like someone who would be a great pick for the Flames. Love the upside, but still has a solid floor
Tbull8 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 02:51 PM   #815
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Draft preference today.
1. Lindstrom
2. Demidov
Everyone else.
Do you think the Flames are drafting #3/#4 overall?
Because that's where I'd expect those guys to go.

Not ~11th OA. Flames will probably finish in the 9 to 13 range.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 02:56 PM   #816
traptor
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We're drafting around 12th-14th oa at the moment.

I think the top centers/D are out of range.

Maybe we get lucky and Catton drops.

Otherwise Tij or Yakemchuk would be my targets in that range.

Looks like dark years ahead again for our top line center.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to traptor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 03:05 PM   #817
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
I know I'd just love to spend another decade talking about how we really need to get a #1C to play with Iginla (and never actually getting one).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 03:40 PM   #818
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
We're drafting around 12th-14th oa at the moment.

I think the top centers/D are out of range.

Maybe we get lucky and Catton drops.

Otherwise Tij or Yakemchuk would be my targets in that range.

Correction, we are drafting around 12th-14th AND around 29th.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 03:44 PM   #819
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I know I'd just love to spend another decade talking about how we really need to get a #1C to play with Iginla (and never actually getting one).
Except for the fact that this Iginla is a center.
So its entirely up to him if he can become a #1C.
Old 02-29-2024, 05:10 PM   #820
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Excellent! Thanks.

Sounds to me like he has the normal deficiencies of a kid his age. As long as he's coachable and wants to put in the work, he can overcome them.

Do you get the sense that his stock has been rising, falling, or holding steady?
I think he’s been rising. In the first third of the season, I was seeing him late teens/ early twenties, and now he’s early teens.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft