Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2022, 09:25 PM   #801
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
Global news had an bit on the housing / interest rate conundrum. Their anecdote was a senior who bought her house 34 years ago and still has a mortgage on which she can no longer afford the monthly payments due to recent interest hikes. Thirty-four years! And the problem is this month?
She only made 4x over The past 30 years and had a home to stay in. Boohoo.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 09:38 PM   #802
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

How does this lady still have a mortgage 34 years later?
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 09:46 PM   #803
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wouldn't say I'm happy about higher rates, but I do think they were much needed. Canada hasn't seen growth in per-capita GDP in 10-years, but as country we have been able to paper over the problem with low interest rates and government "tax the rich to subsidize the middle class" fiscal policies.

I'm supportive of progressive taxation in a world with increasing income inequality. But if we want to live better lives through the cycle, we need higher incomes. Not higher leverage rates.

Hopefully this will be a wakeup call to have some much needed conversations at the national level.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 10:30 PM   #804
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
I wouldn't say I'm happy about higher rates, but I do think they were much needed. Canada hasn't seen growth in per-capita GDP in 10-years, but as country we have been able to paper over the problem with low interest rates and government "tax the rich to subsidize the middle class" fiscal policies.

I'm supportive of progressive taxation in a world with increasing income inequality. But if we want to live better lives through the cycle, we need higher incomes. Not higher leverage rates.

Hopefully this will be a wakeup call to have some much needed conversations at the national level.
Have you seen the clowns at the national level who would be involved in those conversations?

One thinks the budget will balance itself, another thinks the rich will pay for everything and the last guy...I dont know, something about trees and wood?

And people wonder why the general public abhor the concept of higher taxes? Because these are the people in charge of spending that money. You might as well just burn it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2022, 01:30 PM   #805
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not sure if this was the same lady that was on CTV.. but yeah big head shaker there.

Really drives home the ‘don’t retire unless your mortgage is paid off’ rule.

I can’t imagine being in my late sixties and have to reup for another 30 years just to afford to live in my house. Bananas.
The Fisher Account is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 02:18 PM   #806
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
Not sure if this was the same lady that was on CTV.. but yeah big head shaker there.

I can’t imagine being in my late sixties and have to reup for another 30 years just to afford to live in my house. Bananas.
I initially wanted to be both mortgage free and retire at age 65.

I'm currently ahead of schedule as my mortgage would be paid off at 56 years old at the current pace. If thats the case, I would like to retire at 60.

Small chance I will be mortgage free at 50. That would be a dream. I'd travel to exotic places from 50-55 using my "mortgage payments"
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 09:25 PM   #807
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
I initially wanted to be both mortgage free and retire at age 65.

I'm currently ahead of schedule as my mortgage would be paid off at 56 years old at the current pace. If thats the case, I would like to retire at 60.

Small chance I will be mortgage free at 50. That would be a dream. I'd travel to exotic places from 50-55 using my "mortgage payments"
Mortgage freedom at 56 means you can travel from 56 til 66 and longer no need to stop just because you have officially retired. Disclaimer- you may drop dead at any moment.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 03:40 AM   #808
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post

Could also be a sign she should have sold the place and downgraded to a cheaper one and lived mortgage free.

That being said, she may not even be able to afford condo fees. I'm assuming that she brought her current home 30ish years ago, which means the cost couldn't have been not than $150k or so. Payments couldn't really be much more than $1500/month? Also how much is left on the mortgage? $40k? Rising payments due to increases interest rates on a mortgage like that wouldn't be that extreme.

Sounds like she must have added to the mortgage at some point or maybe wasn't paying down the principle for a long period of time. Either way it sounds like they haven't factored in a relatively small increase in payments due to inflation into their retirement and/or made some questionable calls with their home financing along the way.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 09:07 AM   #809
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

She most assuredly HELOC'd herself
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2022, 09:22 AM   #810
T-Dog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

This sort of narrative by the media is really irksome actually. Trying to make it seem like the policy decision is having a devastating effect on a vulnerable senior, to the point that she may lose her home. Where’s the personal responsibility for the person to pay off her house and not leverage it up with debt as the value increases, especially as a retiree? Why is it society’s fault now?
T-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to T-Dog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2022, 09:38 AM   #811
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dog View Post
This sort of narrative by the media is really irksome actually. Trying to make it seem like the policy decision is having a devastating effect on a vulnerable senior, to the point that she may lose her home. Where’s the personal responsibility for the person to pay off her house and not leverage it up with debt as the value increases, especially as a retiree? Why is it society’s fault now?
Everything is society's fault now. It's never the fault of the person for anything. Personal responsibility is a concept that no longer exists for most people. It's never-ending.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2022, 10:01 AM   #812
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dog View Post
They even videotaped her eating a can of soup off a tv table in front of an old couch. If I remember correctly the increased interest rate added $300 to her monthly obligation- she’s in deep.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 11:16 AM   #813
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

She also mentioned that she had to finance a new water tank because she couldn't afford the financial hit.

So retired, in her 60's and doesn't have $1000 to her name. Absolutely terrifying stuff.

I think moreso than rate hikes, we have a very financially unsavvy person blaming economic policy on her situation.

Dave Ramsey would be signaling her out as someone who sadly may be eating Alpo in her 80's (or 70's!)

Last edited by The Fisher Account; 12-18-2022 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-18-2022, 11:37 PM   #814
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
This is false. Under every constant measure Canada's GDP per capita is higher in 2021 compared to 2011.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator...N?locations=CA
cal_guy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cal_guy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2022, 11:39 PM   #815
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

What kind of house is she in? Baby boomers refusing to downgrade is a major contributing factor to the current housing shortage.

The idea that there are young families who can't afford housing, but a baby boomers thinks society needs to subsidize her extra bedrooms is pretty offensive.
Old 12-19-2022, 02:26 AM   #816
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other than Vancouver, is there really a housing shortage? Or is it just single family housing shortage? Every neighborhood I see has a ton of these new neo-Khrushchyovka condo buildings going up. Surely they can't all be selling.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2022, 05:27 AM   #817
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Other than Vancouver, is there really a housing shortage? Or is it just single family housing shortage? Every neighborhood I see has a ton of these new neo-Khrushchyovka condo buildings going up. Surely they can't all be selling.
There must certainly is a housing shortage across Canada. Just Google it.

I would also consider circumstances that involve cramming families into undersized spacesa shortage. Yes, we are continuing to build overpriced condos.
Old 12-19-2022, 07:19 AM   #818
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
What kind of house is she in? Baby boomers refusing to downgrade is a major contributing factor to the current housing shortage.

The idea that there are young families who can't afford housing, but a baby boomers thinks society needs to subsidize her extra bedrooms is pretty offensive.
She’s living in what looked like a single, detached home.
Old 12-19-2022, 07:36 AM   #819
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Isn’t the reality that not everyone gets to retire?

If you don’t have $1000 to your name, even if you’re 60 whatever, and it’s “about the time people retire” - you probably can’t retire and will be working until much later in life or never be able to retire at all depending on your other sources of income. At least that’s my understanding; that retiring is a (fairly new) privledge and not something we all get to do at the same time, or with some ‘standard lifestyle guaranteed’.
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 09:33 AM   #820
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

I wouldn't go that far, but seniors who cry poverty living in a single detached home is annoying when they could sell the home and rent an apartment (and invest, generating income for retirement) quite comfortably with the proceeds.

Obviously, some of them refuse to consider that.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote