Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 12:49 PM   #8041
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

i really don't think Brodie will be moved. His value would be higher if he was playing on the right side where he is better, and i think it's really a testament to him that he is able to play left d relatively well. I still hope they don't move him and instead move stone for a winger. It would be great to have another true Left side dman so brodie could move back to the right but that likely requires valimaki having an unbelievable camp. Until then brodie is great value for a top 4 dman even if he is playing on 'his' wrong side
Old 02-17-2018, 01:05 PM   #8042
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think I would do that deal. Johnson is small but he is also a very effective 2 way player. Signed for $5M for 6 more years so the Flames would be committed to Monahan, Backlund, and Johnson for the next 6 years (Monahan has 5 years left after this year but assume he is a career Flame).

Not sure what that would mean for Jankowski’s future with the team. Could the Flames then Flip Jankowski for Galchenyuk or Gallagher?
I would trade brodie for Johnson in a heartbeat. Johnson is a beast in the playoffs

Keep Janko and play him or johnson on the wing. Can't hurt to have more guys capable of faceoff on the line.

Either:

1st line
Tkachuk-backlund-tylerjohnson
Bennett-jankowski-frolik
Or
1st line
3m
Bennett-tyler johnson-jankowski

The real trick would be turning around and trading for mcdonagh to fill brodies hole. Does Dube+Rasmus get the conversation started?

Last edited by Monahammer; 02-17-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #8043
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Context is an important thing.

You can't talk about Brodie's value without noting he brings a significant amount of positives relative to his low cap hit.

When we look around the league at players making similar money, that point is underlined. Russell is one. Granted it's a bad contract, but defenders are in high demand, and we're seeing more and more of them signed to higher and higher dollar amounts.

The point being discussed that you chimed in on out of context was that while one could assert he's not providing the constant value he might be capable of, he's still providing value leagues above his cap hit. This is an important and positive thing.
Why are you focusing on Russell to argue this “important and positive” thing?
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #8044
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This is not a shot at anyone on this forum, but I'm soooo glad the Tre is our GM!
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Old 02-17-2018, 02:12 PM   #8045
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Why are you focusing on Russell to argue this “important and positive” thing?
I'm not sure I'd phrase it as "focus" when I simply cited him once as one example in one post. You've now brought it up twice as much.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #8046
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Gio - Hamilton
xxx - Hamonic
xxx - Stone

xxx could be any combination of Kulak, Valimaki, Kylington, Anderson

Our left side would be freaking brutal. Since when has any of those guys proven they can play 24mins+ against top6 competition?
Brodie is not getting traded. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just flat out wrong. Filling one hole by creating another arguably bigger one is absolutely stupid and is likening themselves to Oilers mentality.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourbestfriend For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #8047
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
i really don't think Brodie will be moved. His value would be higher if he was playing on the right side where he is better, and i think it's really a testament to him that he is able to play left d relatively well. I still hope they don't move him and instead move stone for a winger. It would be great to have another true Left side dman so brodie could move back to the right but that likely requires valimaki having an unbelievable camp. Until then brodie is great value for a top 4 dman even if he is playing on 'his' wrong side
There's not much to suggest that Brodie is currently playing his wrong side and plenty to suggest that the Flames won't ever put him back on the right side. I think if you're hoping that the flames will make moves just for the purpose of putting Brodie back on the right side, you will be disappointed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2018, 03:06 PM   #8048
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

With the Rangers looking to make changes what about the Flames going after a guy like Zibenajad? I know he's only 24 but it could be a decent pickup for the top 6.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:23 PM   #8049
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
Gio - Hamilton
xxx - Hamonic
xxx - Stone

xxx could be any combination of Kulak, Valimaki, Kylington, Anderson

Our left side would be freaking brutal. Since when has any of those guys proven they can play 24mins+ against top6 competition?
Brodie is not getting traded. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just flat out wrong. Filling one hole by creating another arguably bigger one is absolutely stupid and is likening themselves to Oilers mentality.
I can appreciate where you're coming from, but you are making the assumption the Flames would fill the void internally.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:35 PM   #8050
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
I can appreciate where you're coming from, but you are making the assumption the Flames would fill the void internally.
Of course we would fill the void internally.
The only two other options would be:

1) Sign a UFA - in which case we would most likely have to over pay. Top4 defenseman UFA crop for 2018, Carlson, Green and De Haan. All will cost more than Brodie, and only one of them is better than Brodie. Bad idea

2) Trade - with what assets? There is most likely no combination of picks and prospects we own that will land us a Brodie or better defenseman. Unless you want to trade away a forward to fill the void of a top4 dman lol and continue that cycle

So yes, if Brodie were to be traded, we would have to fill his void internally... which means he will not be traded.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:37 PM   #8051
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Johnson being mentioned as a speculation, it is the first one that really makes sense and is even in my opinion. Both cost controlled, both with their own warts but both what the other team is looking for. Honestly id love to hear why one or the other teams would not do it.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:04 PM   #8052
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

HNIC:

Kypreos: keep getting told to not be surprised if Erik Karlsson is traded in the next 8-9 days
Ottawa keeps saying he is unavailable

Winnipeg checked in on Hoffman, Jets are on Hoffman's no trade list and the ask is high, Jets have moved on

Canucks have told teams inquiring about Tanev it will require a special offer

Preds won't trade top prospect Tolvanen.
See him as a solution and can bring him over after his KHL season is done
Adding Tolvanen might be the Preds only deadline move

A few months ago, they reported Ian Cole was available, but now appears he isn't available
Rutherford has let teams know Hunwick is available
They need to shed Hunwick's salary to bring in a 3rd line center

Blue jackets are also looking for a center and have checked on a few former players: Brassard and Anisimov
Believe Blackhawks have told Columbus they plan to keep Anisimov

Seattle GM situation:
Holland's name is out there and maybe top of the list.
John Ferguson Jr.
Bill Guerin

Last edited by sureLoss; 02-17-2018 at 07:32 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2018, 07:13 PM   #8053
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the life of me how can John Ferguson Jr. get a second crack at being GM? He made some of the worst moves imaginable when he was managing the Leafs. Who's next Mike Gillis and Kevin Lowe?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2018, 07:39 PM   #8054
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think Grabner would be a solid addition to the Flames for an offensive boost. He may be a little one dimensional and possibly a defensive liability, but he’s got wheels to keep up and throughout his career he’s a consistent goal scorer. I think having that threat would help balance our lines.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:53 PM   #8055
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
I think Grabner would be a solid addition to the Flames for an offensive boost. He may be a little one dimensional and possibly a defensive liability, but he’s got wheels to keep up and throughout his career he’s a consistent goal scorer. I think having that threat would help balance our lines.
It should be noted that 6 of his 21 goals were empty netters and he only has 5 assists and offers pretty much zero defense. Not that he isn't worthwhile to look into but I fear the price to acquire him will reflect a 21 goal scorer with as many assists, when that isn't the case.

I think any team that acquired him for top 6 help would be disappointed in what they paid and what they get out of him.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:08 PM   #8056
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It should be noted that 6 of his 21 goals were empty netters and he only has 5 assists and offers pretty much zero defense. Not that he isn't worthwhile to look into but I fear the price to acquire him will reflect a 21 goal scorer with as many assists, when that isn't the case.

I think any team that acquired him for top 6 help would be disappointed in what they paid and what they get out of him.

This confuses me.

He has 25 goals. OK so 6 of them are empty netters...but how often does a coach as good as Vigneault put out a guy with "zero defense" when they are protecting a one goal lead, which is why the other teams net would be empty to begin with.

Also, this guy scored 27 last year as well.

I think he would be perfect for what they need in Calgary, even if he doesnt get a lot of assists or gets a few empty netters.

I really dont watch the Rangers much, so i am asking as much as anything.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #8057
tknez16
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
This confuses me.

He has 25 goals. OK so 6 of them are empty netters...but how often does a coach as good as Vigneault put out a guy with "zero defense" when they are protecting a one goal lead, which is why the other teams net would be empty to begin with.

Also, this guy scored 27 last year as well.

I think he would be perfect for what they need in Calgary, even if he doesnt get a lot of assists or gets a few empty netters.

I really dont watch the Rangers much, so i am asking as much as anything.

Plus we could use a few empty netters to secure wins.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tknez16 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2018, 08:50 PM   #8058
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
Of course we would fill the void internally.
The only two other options would be:

1) Sign a UFA - in which case we would most likely have to over pay. Top4 defenseman UFA crop for 2018, Carlson, Green and De Haan. All will cost more than Brodie, and only one of them is better than Brodie. Bad idea

2) Trade - with what assets? There is most likely no combination of picks and prospects we own that will land us a Brodie or better defenseman. Unless you want to trade away a forward to fill the void of a top4 dman lol and continue that cycle

So yes, if Brodie were to be traded, we would have to fill his void internally... which means he will not be traded.
you're likely right. The depth chart seems to suggest a move is more likely to happen on the left side. Perhaps the Flames trade chip here is Anderson.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:56 PM   #8059
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknez16 View Post
plus we could use a few empty netters to secure wins.
bingo!
Old 02-17-2018, 09:58 PM   #8060
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
you're likely right. The depth chart seems to suggest a move is more likely to happen on the left side. Perhaps the Flames trade chip here is Anderson.
I have heard the Flames have no interest in moving Andersson.
Closed Thread