Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2023, 11:57 AM   #781
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

M:I 7 had a fairly quiet Wednesday / Thursday but picked up business into the weekend, looking like it will perform well with good reviews and word of mouth. Sound of Freedom with the very rare second weekend increase at the box office.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 06:52 PM   #782
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1682115537172668417
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 07:34 PM   #783
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Ouch, but I guess that's what they get for going with a very niche superhero that almost no one has heard of to begin with, and then going with the newest version of him, too.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 08:13 PM   #784
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, unfortunately its a neat idea with a fresh character, but right on the heels of an A-Lister in The Flash completely cratering? Its destined to fail.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 07:09 AM   #785
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

The trailer for Blue Beetle also just screams "this is a movie you have seen before".

The right time for this movie would probably have been 10 years ago.

Last edited by Itse; 07-22-2023 at 07:11 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2023, 08:27 PM   #786
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a pretty neat weekend at the box office

Barbinheimer plus MI7 and sound of freedom have a shot to create the 2nd largest all movie opening weekend ever.

Endgame plus the rest was around 400 million. The infinity war weekend was around 314 Barbie and Oppenheimer appear to be good for 250 or so.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 09:31 PM   #787
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coming in at 311 right now so I think that leaves it as the 4th biggest weekend ever.
Old 07-27-2023, 11:24 AM   #788
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Next Disney flop lined up for this weekend, Haunted Mansion somehow cost almost $160M to produce. They’re sure losing a lot of money this summer.
Old 07-27-2023, 11:27 AM   #789
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Next Disney flop lined up for this weekend, Haunted Mansion somehow cost almost $160M to produce. They’re sure losing a lot of money this summer.
Owen Wilson and Danny DeVito? What year is it?

Careful though, it doesnt look like anyone other than James Cameron is making money on movies these days...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Old 07-27-2023, 12:01 PM   #790
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

It doesn't make any sense that this is a summer release. It would be a hit around Halloween.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 07:36 PM   #791
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Barbie just put up the biggest non-Christmas , non-endgame weekdays leading into this weekend and has an outside shot at being the first non-200 million opener to have a 100 million second weekend. It’s tracking about 92-95 right now.

If it can get to 96 it will pass where Mario was despite Mario opening on the Wednesday. It will have made up about 45 million on Mario since Sunday.

The Barbinheimer combo out earned end game all week and has a 50/50 shot of having a better 2nd weekend then endgame
Old 07-28-2023, 09:33 PM   #792
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Barbie just put up the biggest non-Christmas , non-endgame weekdays leading into this weekend and has an outside shot at being the first non-200 million opener to have a 100 million second weekend. It’s tracking about 92-95 right now.

If it can get to 96 it will pass where Mario was despite Mario opening on the Wednesday. It will have made up about 45 million on Mario since Sunday.

The Barbinheimer combo out earned end game all week and has a 50/50 shot of having a better 2nd weekend then endgame
I wonder if we're going to be seeing more non-content related double feature releases like this, after the success that this was. If so. I'm all for it.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 10:14 PM   #793
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I wonder if we're going to be seeing more non-content related double feature releases like this, after the success that this was. If so. I'm all for it.
Doom/Animal Crossing is still the best fan endorsed mashup

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 12:06 PM   #794
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Barbie will hit $1 billion worldwide later today after three weeks in theaters.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1688241116724793344

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 01:06 PM   #795
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

'The Marvels' looking like it might be the first true MCU flop. Only $6.6M from Thursday previews (The Flash pulled $9.7M from Thursday previews, for comparison). Budget was well north of $200M with substantial marketing too.
Old 11-12-2023, 11:47 AM   #796
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
'The Marvels' looking like it might be the first true MCU flop. Only $6.6M from Thursday previews (The Flash pulled $9.7M from Thursday previews, for comparison). Budget was well north of $200M with substantial marketing too.
Oversaturation of the superhero movies is clearly taking its toll. The movie itself is one of the better ones of late.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 04:40 PM   #797
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Horrendous weekend two numbers for the Marvels. It's trending much worse than Flash right now.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 05:10 PM   #798
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Horrendous weekend two numbers for the Marvels. It's trending much worse than Flash right now.
I think its a combination of numerous different factors at the moment.

Obviously starting with 'Hero Fatigue' but I also think there other elements, like people not really liking Captain Marvel to begin with, Brie Larson becoming a self-important polarizing figure in the interim, the GIGANTIC TIME GAP between films, some people feeling like suckers for seeing Flash and deciding to wait this time....etc and so on and so forth.

Who knows.

There is a part of me that just cant GAF about Disney not making heinous amounts of money but then there is another part of me that realizes that without that sickening profit they're going to generate less content of lower quality and that will also suck.

Its part of separating the existence of Evil Disney Executives and massively wealthy and overly self-important and self-indulgent stars and actors and the actual humans who do most of the work on movies and TV shows trying to make a living.

Old 11-19-2023, 07:10 PM   #799
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I think its a combination of numerous different factors at the moment.

Obviously starting with 'Hero Fatigue' but I also think there other elements, like people not really liking Captain Marvel to begin with, Brie Larson becoming a self-important polarizing figure in the interim, the GIGANTIC TIME GAP between films, some people feeling like suckers for seeing Flash and deciding to wait this time....etc and so on and so forth.

Who knows.

There is a part of me that just cant GAF about Disney not making heinous amounts of money but then there is another part of me that realizes that without that sickening profit they're going to generate less content of lower quality and that will also suck.

Its part of separating the existence of Evil Disney Executives and massively wealthy and overly self-important and self-indulgent stars and actors and the actual humans who do most of the work on movies and TV shows trying to make a living.
There recent MCU movies just seen too bland for me to see in the theatres. It also seems like the movies aren't comic book-ey enough for me. They seem to much like generic action movies now.

That being said, I'm paying for Disney Plus, and might not do that if they stopped making these movies. Disney walks away with more money, with me paying for the subscription vs seeing 3-4 Disney movies in theaters a year.

The public overall does have an appetite for some superhero movies. Batman and Spiderverse. That helped those movies succeed wasn't just that they were good but also that they seemed to have a more directed audience. Batman is a darker adult oriented film. Spiderverse was more child friendly. The MCU is going too generic and too wide in their intended appeal. I'm not taking about the marvels specifically. For example, Ant-Man was just too safe to be any good.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 07:17 PM   #800
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Last MCU movie we went to the theater for was Spider-Man 3, every one since then has gotten progressively worse and not worth paying theater prices for (save GOTG3, that was surprisingly good). Maybe Kevin Feige has just run his course, everything post Endgame is just so bland and way too safe. Marvel is terrified of taking risks anymore
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote